Brewer Fanatic

Mon. 9/26 - Final Sounds Home Series Begins vs. Memphis

Joseph Zarr

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
6 hours ago, Sixtolezcano said:

For all the Mario bashing last night he walks it off with a base hit in the bottom of the 11th. Sounds win their 90th 6-5. YES!!!!

If you scroll above: his offense is and was literally never in question. And, bashing, at least from my end, seems quite a bit overstated. His defense is just, well, not good enough. That's not bashing. It's based on watching him this entire season. He needs to work on this intensively over the next couple of off-seasons and it also bespeaks as to why he hasn't broken in at the MLB level. 

7 hours ago, Sixtolezcano said:

Maybe they can trade Yelich and play Mario as the DH……lol.

He certainly has a bat that can play anywhere as I've said before. The absence of any power - for the most part but more say a week or a series or two of play - is maybe concerning (especially for a DH candidate) and something to track. I truly think it's another scenario whereby he simply needs more time to develop. He just isn't MLB ready by my eyes. I've seen several throws from behind that dish that literally left me with a jaw-opened look of disbelief - let alone the ongoing passed balls issue...which is definitely an issue. I certainly hope he puts it together, no doubt about it. But, I have concerns with his overall toolkit. 

2 hours ago, Joseph Zarr said:

If you scroll above: his offense is and was literally never in question. And, bashing, at least from my end, seems quite a bit overstated. His defense is just, well, not good enough. That's not bashing. It's based on watching him this entire season. He needs to work on this intensively over the next couple of off-seasons and it also bespeaks as to why he hasn't broken in at the MLB level. 

I’m sorry, this was said tongue-in-cheek. I realize that all the negative content was referring to his backstop defense, I was trying to support Mario in case he was reading the website (lol). But on different track, if it turns out (likely) that he doesn’t cut it at catcher where would/could be a secondary position he could realistically play ( hence my second post)? I’m interested in your opinion.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sixtolezcano said:

I’m sorry, this was said tongue-in-cheek. I realize that all the negative content was referring to his backstop defense, I was trying to support Mario in case he was reading the website (lol). But on different track, if it turns out (likely) that he doesn’t cut it at catcher where would/could be a secondary position he could realistically play ( hence my second post)? I’m interested in your opinion.

I don't see anything that is ailing him as overall preventatives from staying at catcher. That's clearly his best option and his position. He's still very very young. He simply needs experience and a commitment to improving his defensive game, first and foremost. There seems to be a lack of expediency or urgency in the framing/catching component - several just what appear to be 'lazy' (for lack of a better word) efforts. A subtle uptick there in reaction and movement and preparedness would do him worlds of good - how he gets there or if he gets there is obviously on him and the greater coaching staff. The arm, well, at this point in time that one actually concerns me - just as Darrien Miller's arm concerns/ed me behind the dish (tho, I would be remiss if I didn't point out Darrien has improved significantly there in just a year and he's shown he has quite a bit more versatility - DH, 1B, lead-off (!!)). The bat is already a plus attribute quite clearly. The power loss is strange but the stroke is so pure so I don't place too much emphasis there personally. He's a prospect, after all. He has work to do. 

And, honestly, more than anything what it does for me is remind me: Jeferson Quero level prospects are extremely rare. Joe Ayrault knew what he had in the first week. And, on the record, he stated (paraphrasing from postgame pod recall): "He's the most complete catching prospect the Brewers have had in quite some time." It's really Quero and then a large gap in talent. And then everyone else. Feliciano is definitely near the top of the that list - he simply needs to continue developing. My two cents.