Brewer Fanatic

Mon. 9/26 - Final Sounds Home Series Begins vs. Memphis

Joseph Zarr

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

15 minutes ago, Joseph Zarr said:

RHP Victor Castaneda will get the nod yet again for the Sounds. Let the Sal Frelick and Joey Wiemer injury speculations commence:

Well we already knew Wiemer was dealing with something. Jeff Hem told me it was left arm soreness for Wiemer. Frelick is the big question now. I wish we had better access to injury situations in the minor leagues especially for more highly rated prospects.

• Like 1

Matt Lipka makes a fantastic sliding catch in right field to end the Redbirds' 2nd inning. The unexpected productivity and solid play from both Lipka and Dorrian have been under-the-radar very important stealthy pick-ups for the Sounds. Both players have really stepped up and played consistently solid baseball in every facet. On to the bottom half of the 2nd frame.

And, another passed ball for Mario Feliciano. I'm telling y'all, his path to the MLB starts with improving his defense. It is really not good. The bat plays anywhere. The defense needs serious work. On an 0-2 count, Feliciano completely misses a tailing pitch from RHP Zach Brown and it goes to the back stop. It scores a run. His 14th passed ball of his season. 

45 minutes ago, Joseph Zarr said:

And, another passed ball for Mario Feliciano. I'm telling y'all, his path to the MLB starts with improving his defense. It is really not good. The bat plays anywhere. The defense needs serious work. On an 0-2 count, Feliciano completely misses a tailing pitch from RHP Zach Brown and it goes to the back stop. It scores a run. His 14th passed ball of his season. 

14 passed balls in 64 games and a CS% of 15.3% (6% lower than the International League average). He's been brutal behind the plate this year.

3 minutes ago, wiguy94 said:

14 passed balls in 64 games and a CS% of 15.3% (6% lower than the International League average). He's been brutal behind the plate this year.

I'm trying to be more diplomatic. But, yes. It isn't pretty. And, it's gotten worse as the games have increased in importance. If I'm manager Rick Sweet, he's 3rd on my catching depth chart for the Playoffs - behind Severino and Navarreto. 

*I should also be clear: 

I am a Navarreto stan. Unapologetically. Just as I am a Brent Diaz stan. These young men can catch the heck out of a baseball game. Complete afterthoughts for most. Not on my watch. They are studs.

3 minutes ago, Joseph Zarr said:

I'm trying to be more diplomatic. But, yes. It isn't pretty. And, it's gotten worse as the games have increased in importance. If I'm manager Rick Sweet, he's 3rd on my catching depth chart for the Playoffs - behind Severino and Navarreto. 

*I should also be clear: 

I am a Navarreto stan. Unapologetically. Just as I am a Brent Diaz stan. These young men can catch the heck out of a baseball game. Complete afterthoughts for most. Not on my watch. They are studs.

I'd be starting Navarreto. He's by far the best of the 3 behind the plate. CS rate well above league average and allows PB at a much lower rate than Severino and Feliciano. Assuming Frelick and Wiemer are healthy, you have plenty of offense between Frelick, Ruiz, Turang, Wiemer, Singleton, Reyes, Devanney. 

4 minutes ago, wiguy94 said:

Feliciano fails to cut down another SB attempt in the 8th inning then lets a ball get away for him allowing Memphis runner to get to 3B with 0 outs. Really a ball he should have been controlling. 

Also, this is the top of the ninth. The missed throwout is one thing. The passed ball another. But, then he almost threw the ball straight into left field trying to over-compensate for his error.  It's a serious issue here that isn't talked about when people on 'Fanatic' simply put him in their Top 25. His defense alone is worth serious asterisks by his prospect status. This is why Jeferson Quero is already a better prospect by a country mile. 

Just now, wiguy94 said:

I'd be starting Navarreto. He's by far the best of the 3 behind the plate. CS rate well above league average and allows PB at a much lower rate than Severino and Feliciano. Assuming Frelick and Wiemer are healthy, you have plenty of offense between Frelick, Ruiz, Turang, Wiemer, Singleton, Reyes, Devanney. 

Navarreto is having a fantastic season. I wish I could watch him behind the dish more frequently. He's a joy to watch. And, he's just a great great personality.

9 minutes ago, Joseph Zarr said:

Also, this is the top of the ninth. The missed throwout is one thing. The passed ball another. But, then he almost threw the ball straight into left field trying to over-compensate for his error.  It's a serious issue here that isn't talked about when people on 'Fanatic' simply put him in their Top 25. His defense alone is worth serious asterisks by his prospect status. This is why Jeferson Quero is already a better prospect by a country mile. 

It was considered a WP but it really was a pitch that a catcher should be controlling. You call for a slider low and away you need to be able to control one in the dirt. Amazing job by Turang backing that up and saving a run. 

• Like 1