Brewer Fanatic

Article: Can The Crew Still Make the Playoffs?

Seth Stohs

32 minutes ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

Philly is not playing well though. 10 games is enough to blow this. I'd think the Brewers have to go 7-2 though. Opponent quality matters least of all in baseball. The bad teams left on the schedules are probably more energized honestly at the end of the year when they have a chance to impact results. That's more exciting than slogging through July 20 games under .500.

The Phillies just got done playing a likely 90+ win team for two games and what is possibly a 100+ win team the Braves. Now they get to go play crummy teams. 

Honestly, we should not even be in this situation. We could have used bullpen help before we traded Hader...then we traded him and didn't really do much to replace him. The last month the bullpen has really let us down on numerous occasions, some of which they were handed the ball with a decent lead. 

13 minutes ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

I am content with the season. Maybe not the right word, but, they are not that good. It doesn't feel like a missed opportunity to me. I don't think they are better than any of the 6 ahead of them. If they get in, someone blew it, basically. We are not bad, but not what I'd call good. 

Yeah, coming into the season they were slight favorites over STL for the Division, but for all intense porpoises it was a coin flip.

We all knew if the coin flip didn’t fall our way that we’d be fighting it out for a Wild Card with about five teams vying for the three spots.

This team was always a clear step down from LA/ATL/NYM for me, after 50 games I thought they had a chance to be at the top of that next tier, but Hader blew up, starting pitchers got hurt, the offense went MIA for stretches, the deadline didn’t work out.

That it took so much going wrong for this team to likely end up missing out on the playoffs by a couple two tree games when all is said & done is (to me anyway) more of just “baseball happening” than it is any indictment of this season being some kind of embarrassing organizational failure.

13 minutes ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

I am content with the season. Maybe not the right word, but, they are not that good. It doesn't feel like a missed opportunity to me. I don't think they are better than any of the 6 ahead of them. If they get in, someone blew it, basically. We are not bad, but not what I'd call good. 

Yeah, coming into the season they were slight favorites over STL for the Division, but for all intense porpoises it was a coin flip.

We all knew if the coin flip didn’t fall our way that we’d be fighting it out for a Wild Card with about five teams vying for the three spots.

This team was always a clear step down from LA/ATL/NYM for me, after 50 games I thought they had a chance to be at the top of that next tier, but Hader blew up, starting pitchers got hurt, the offense went MIA for stretches, the deadline didn’t work out.

That it took so much going wrong for this team to likely end up missing out on the playoffs by a couple two tree games when all is said & done is (to me anyway) more of just “baseball happening” than it is any indictment of this season being some kind of embarrassing organizational failure.

1 hour ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

I do look at as a missed opportunity.  There really were only 8 teams in the NL with realistic chances at 6 playoff spots (the current 6 qualifiers plus the Brewers and Giants).  That's pretty good odds coming off a 95 win season. I think more teams in the rebuild/don't care to compete group are going to look at what it did take to make that last playoff spot this year and invest more to get within striking distance of the playoffs. The last offseason with the lockout and delayed Spring Training gave those teams little time to do much and they weren't sure how the new playoff structure would play out.  Now they have the time and the idea and with attendance down in multiple cities I think that means more competition from some of those teams and increasing cost to add those bargain FA like Wong and McCutcheon (and lest we all forget, JBJ), it will also likely drive up costs for mid-level pitching and players like Jace Peterson may be getting starting offers vs. 75% Utility man slots. Our budget and circumstances likely change going forward with being much harder to add a bargain through free agency.  Any economics that increases cost of players disproportionately impacts the smallest market in baseball.  I could be wrong and many of the current owners that are happy just walking away with $30-40M in profit fielding a horrible team will keep doing it, but if attendance keeps going down and it's clear that many of these organizations aren't making any progress there may be more friction among owners about the current welfare system in baseball (revenue sharing) and a push to start investing the revenue sharing. 

1 hour ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

I do look at as a missed opportunity.  There really were only 8 teams in the NL with realistic chances at 6 playoff spots (the current 6 qualifiers plus the Brewers and Giants).  That's pretty good odds coming off a 95 win season. I think more teams in the rebuild/don't care to compete group are going to look at what it did take to make that last playoff spot this year and invest more to get within striking distance of the playoffs. The last offseason with the lockout and delayed Spring Training gave those teams little time to do much and they weren't sure how the new playoff structure would play out.  Now they have the time and the idea and with attendance down in multiple cities I think that means more competition from some of those teams and increasing cost to add those bargain FA like Wong and McCutcheon (and lest we all forget, JBJ), it will also likely drive up costs for mid-level pitching and players like Jace Peterson may be getting starting offers vs. 75% Utility man slots. Our budget and circumstances likely change going forward with being much harder to add a bargain through free agency.  Any economics that increases cost of players disproportionately impacts the smallest market in baseball.  I could be wrong and many of the current owners that are happy just walking away with $30-40M in profit fielding a horrible team will keep doing it, but if attendance keeps going down and it's clear that many of these organizations aren't making any progress there may be more friction among owners about the current welfare system in baseball (revenue sharing) and a push to start investing the revenue sharing. 

IMO, about 5 of those teams are clearly superior this year. I thought we were a bubble team for most of the season. Padres, without some of their injuries, would be even more comfortably ahead.

Even if the Brewers make it, I do not think they have a team like 2011, 2018 or even 2019 or 2021. IMO, last season was more of a missed opportunity than this one, just having a bad week against an ATL team they were good enough to play with.

It's baseball though. Anything can happen.

IMO, about 5 of those teams are clearly superior this year. I thought we were a bubble team for most of the season. Padres, without some of their injuries, would be even more comfortably ahead.

Even if the Brewers make it, I do not think they have a team like 2011, 2018 or even 2019 or 2021. IMO, last season was more of a missed opportunity than this one, just having a bad week against an ATL team they were good enough to play with.

It's baseball though. Anything can happen.