Brewer Fanatic

Chess! Drama! Cheating! More Cheating - poker, pro fishing, IRISH DANCING

Oxy

They could all give it a rest.  I had occasionally watched Rozman's videos of daily recaps from various tournaments, but he has gone so click-bait on the subject that I have pretty much ignored everything he's posted for the last ~10 days.  Feingold's content isn't really up my alley, but there are many segments that get pulled out of his streams and posted on it's own, often with good insight, but how many times can he keep repeating the same opinion over and over when it comes to Carlsen and Niemann?  Nakamura is probably the best guy to get some real insight from as he is Super Grandmaster "status" and still playing in the highest level tournaments, and even his takes on the subject have quickly grown old.  

Everybody had kind of kept re-gurgitating the same "huh, who knows?" shrug yer shoulders and move on....until this interview with Fabiano Caruano a couple days ago.  This link is actually from Hikaru's channel and his reaction to this interview, where Caruana basically blows up FIDE's anti-cheating measures and their guru--Ken Reagan as being totally ineffective.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Cheating would involve some type of transmitter, where a second individual gets the opponent's move, plugs it into a chess engine to get the best move for player one, and then relays that move to player one.  Gone are the days of Bobby Fischer crushing the world's best chess computer program.  The best players in the world don't stand a chance against modern chess engines.

Security is tight enough these days where wearing an earpiece isn't going to work...a player doing that would be sure to get caught.

After Carlsen dropped out, they put a delay on the broadcast although I don't think that would work.  For example, player one could be transmitting the opponent's moves to a second individual and signals could get sent back and forth using Morse code...just an example of how it could happen.

Niemann is pretty much screwed now.  Ian Nepomniachtchi asked for extra security after Niemann was a late invite and was pretty much ignored and it doesn't sound like other top players were happy about that.  So, as was expected, there are multiple top players that had a problem with Niemann even prior to this tournament.  So he is now screwed.  If you are running a big money tournament, do you invite Niemann and run the risk of having other top super grandmasters decline?  I wouldn't be surprised if Niemann has a real tough time finding his way into top tournaments now.   

Niemann is pretty much screwed now.  Ian Nepomniachtchi asked for extra security after Niemann was a late invite and was pretty much ignored and it doesn't sound like other top players were happy about that.  So, as was expected, there are multiple top players that had a problem with Niemann even prior to this tournament.  So he is now screwed.  If you are running a big money tournament, do you invite Niemann and run the risk of having other top super grandmasters decline?  

Playing devil's advocate, but I don't see how he's screwed.  If anything I think all this makes Niemann more popular and marketable until there's concrete evidence he cheated against Carlsen in STL (either by Niemann getting routinely beaten by the best players or if there's solid proof of him cheating during over-the-board games). 

Also, is it really that hard to set up an over-the-board tournament and not worry about Niemann (or any other players for that matter) cheating?  If the other grandmasters are so certain Niemann got to his current status and won certain matches by cheating, I'd think they should be chomping at the bit to play him "on the level" and take him apart.  If I'm running a big money tournament, the 1st person I'm inviting is Niemann because he's now the publicity draw because of the actions of other super grandmasters - had they just played him and likely won matches, the Niemann story fizzles on its own if he's not an ascending player.  

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

And now pro fishing! It's an epidemic! I think the video has muted the swear words but maybe don't watch at work just in case. The other contestants are TICKED as they pull lead weights out of this dude's fish.

I never understood why they went by weight in those fishing contests because of that reason.  Sure, a naturally chunkie bass that's heavier than one a half inch longer is probably a "better" fish to catch, it's just too reliant on things that change too quick as opposed to length.

As far as the poker one goes, my initial thought was that the girl is just an idiot and got lucky, but that's just my biases toward women who dress like that.  She was trying to call his bluff, and she did....but there is a time and place to call a bluff and that WASNT it....(and I get he wasn't really bluffing, he was betting on his draws but still).

14 hours ago, Oxy said:

I never understood why they went by weight in those fishing contests because of that reason.  Sure, a naturally chunkie bass that's heavier than one a half inch longer is probably a "better" fish to catch, it's just too reliant on things that change too quick as opposed to length.

I think with bass fishing tourney's, you almost have to go with weight because otherwise they'd be measuring by the millimeter - as bass get older, they stop growing lengthwise and just start filling out.

I tend to agree on a walleye tourney format that it should be based on length - they fluctuate so much depending on time of year in terms of weight, and there's a big enough range of length as they age that a standard measurement system could be feasible.

I like how alot of bass tourney's do it now, with getting a scale weight as soon as they get the fish off the hook, verified by an official, and right back into the water.

U.S. Chess Championship and U.S Women's Chess Championship start in St. Louis on October 5.

Wisconsin native Awonder Liang is one of the participants.  Awonder was born in Madison, raised in Middleton, and the 19 year old is currently attending the University of Chicago (latest info I have indicates he is leaning towards computer science).  He has no shot of winning this event, especially considering he's primarily a student these days, but we can always hope for a good showing.

• Like 1

IRISH DANCING

In Hans' first match at the US Chess Championships he smoked Christopher Yoo with black.  He refused to take questions or analyze his game at all after the match, just saying "The chess speaks for itself.  Such a beautiful game.  The chess speaks for itself." Then walked off the set.  

Conversely, on the women's side 12 year old Alice Lee was a charming interview after her game (that she won).  She clearly elucidated certain positions and options and what she was worried about and why she played certain plays....even at times admitting she completely missed certain lines when the analyst showed them to her.

On 10/4/2022 at 10:01 PM, JosephC said:

U.S. Chess Championship and U.S Women's Chess Championship start in St. Louis on October 5.

Wisconsin native Awonder Liang is one of the participants.  Awonder was born in Madison, raised in Middleton, and the 19 year old is currently attending the University of Chicago (latest info I have indicates he is leaning towards computer science).  He has no shot of winning this event, especially considering he's primarily a student these days, but we can always hope for a good showing.

Awonder is currently tied for second place with 3.0/5. Still 7 rounds left after today.

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.