Brewer Fanatic

Article: Brewers Minor League Link Report (9/21): Sal Frelick Extends On Base Streak to 38 Games; Josh Lindblom Pitches Sixth Consecutive Quality Start

Joseph Zarr

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

When the Sounds are good, they're really good. Lately, that typically involves a Josh Lindblom start. I spoke to it at the end of yesterday's report and I wasn't lying - Lindblom is our man. He is pitching lights out baseball right now.

Oh, and geez, Sal Frelick extended his on-base streak with yet another home run - his second in two nights. Tonight's ding dong was the three-run variety. The Magic Number for a Sounds playoff extravaganza is now a mere three games. I can taste it and it is sweeeeet

Transactions:

• RHP Jason Alexander was optioned back to the Nashville Sounds from the Milwaukee Brewers

Final: Nashville 17, Louisville (Reds) 1
Box Score / Game Log

Via the Sounds' site, game details, please visit and review: Lindblom, Sounds Dominate Louisville - Nashville's Magic Number Moves to Three After Crushing the Bats

Joey Wiemer absent for the fourth consecutive game? No problem. The Sounds poured it on with 14 hits and 17 runs in yet another incredible Josh Lindblom pitching performance. He is rolling and it is wonderful. There were so many supporting roles in this epic performance - a performance that even included an under-the-radar (somehow!) immaculate inning from RHP Cam Robinson to close this one out. It's not often a nine pitch, nine strike, three strikeout close-out is somehow floating in the dust as an afterthought. This shan't happen here, fine sirs! Oh NO! It shan't!

Three Quick Strikes:

1) As noted above in the title: Frelick continued his run of greatness. My word it has been something to watch the run he's been on since he returned to Biloxi off IL way back on July 6th. 38 consecutive games on base is bananas at any level of baseball. Dominating at a higher rate of impact after each promotion is also bananas. This is top 20 MLB prospect stuff, folks. Flat out. This is electric. Soak it up while you can. The ball looked off speed coming toward the plate. It certainly did not leaving Frelick's bat:

2) Catcher Brian Navarreto is one of my favorite Sounds players. He is almost entirely under the radar due to the vast depth of catching across the system and, frankly, the bigger names and the fact he's yet another Minor League journeyman making due with Nashville in 2022. But, I swear to you dear readers, every time he plays the game of baseball he impresses me - with his size, his agility, his arm, and his bat. Couple that with his incredible demeanor and persona (he makes for such joyously fun interviews), and he just easily became one of my favorite men on the team.

A 2-for-5, 3 R, 5 RBI, 1 HR night just doesn't surprise me. He's only played in 39 games. He's only had just over 100 AB's. I don't care. I'll take him to my diamond any day of the week. I see you, Mr. Navarreto. Thank you for your efforts. And, thank you for your personality:

3) An immaculate closing inning from Robinson? Check. Multiple hit performances from Brice Turang, Pedro Severino, Jonny Davis, Weston Wilson , and Navarreto? Check. 8-for-14 with RISP? Check. A No-Hitter through five complete innings? Check. Magic Number reduced to three games? Check. This 2022 Sounds season is such a treat. I am here for every step of the remaining journey. Let's go!

Wall Running GIF

We'll get another chance to see LHP Robert Gasser in a pivotal match-up tomorrow as he takes on fellow lefty, and former Mariners 2019 2nd Round pick, Brandon Williamson . It will be interesting to see how manager Rick Sweet sets his line-up. I'll be tuning in. I smell the post-season and my eyes remain on the prize.

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Batting Stats and Depth

Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Pitching Stats and Depth

View full article