Brewer Fanatic

Article: Brewers Minor League Link Report (9/20): Sal Frelick Extends On-Base Streak with a Double and a Two-Run Homer - Sounds Still Fall

Joseph Zarr

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In yet another key game in the Sounds deep playoff push, a cellar dwellar again proved to be the thorn in Nashville's side. I don't know what it is, but I have yet to see an easy game played versus Charlotte or Louisville. So it goes in a baseball season. Let's get into the quick recap.

Transactions: 

• 9/19: (late transaction) C
  • Nick Kahle was assigned to the Nashville Sounds from the Biloxi Shuckers
  • RHP Justin Topa
  • was was optioned to the Nashville Sounds by the Milwaukee Brewers

Nashville Pre-Game Media Notes                                                          
Final: Louisville (Reds) 10, Nashville 5
Box Score / Game Log

Via the Sounds' site, game details, please visit and review: Sounds Falter in Louisville - Nashville's Magic Number Remains at Five to Win Division

A bases loaded one out situation in the top of the eighth inning fell short when INF Cam Devanney grounded into a first pitch, broken bat, ground ball to the Bats shortstop. This was truly an unfortunate end after INF Patrick Dorrian had just worked an 0-2 count to a 10-pitch walk to load them up. A chance to take the lead for the first time or, in the very least, continue chipping away ended in a fizzle and the Sounds trailed 7-5. It would officially get away from them after RHP Luis Contreras and LHP Ethan Small (who clearly continues to scuffle) gave up three more runs combined in the next half inning to complete the final score.

Three Quick Strikes:

1) OF Sal Frelick extended his on base streak to 37 games (!!) with a double and a two-run line drive home run over the right field wall. This is the longest current active streak in the International League and the second longest of the season. I don't know about you, but I am really really looking forward to Frelick's opportunity at the MLB level. He has done everything and more in his 2022 Minor League season and I'm just not sure what more there is to prove. If the plan is to wait for 2023, the Sounds will consider themselves extremely lucky to have him for a hopeful playoff push.

2) A big tip of the cap is in order for RHP Robbie Baker . It's hard to fathom he made his Triple-A debut tonight considering where his stuff was at earlier in the year in High-A Wisconsin. This being said, and I alluded to it in a couple earlier season reports, the stuff is there to succeed at a higher clip. He pitches with violence and a clear competitiveness. He's an absolute gamer. Aside from a lead-off home run blast over the wall in right field he picked it up, as did the gloves around him, and he turned in a successful first outing. As an everyday fan of the Brewers Minor Leagues, it was a proud moment for me to see him make his debut.

3) I rarely ever question Triple-A legendary manager Rick Sweet and his incredible staff but one has to wonder what the thinking was in the bottom half of the eighth inning. RHP Luis Contreras was left in to face multiple lefty bats when Small was clearly available in the bullpen. Contreras gave up a walk, a shift-beating single, and another single before he was pulled for Small...who faced a righty. It may not have meant anything in the end, there was likely a rationale beyond my scope, but it certainly didn't work out. That was the game right there. And, well, sometimes you just take the frustrating loss and move on to the next. Tonight was that kind of night.

I am putting full faith in another quality start from AAAA stalwart, RHP Josh Lindbolm . Constantly under the radar. Constantly overlooked. Almost always showing up and shutting it down. Let's knock that magic number down a notch tomorrow. Lindbolm is our man.

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Batting Stats and Depth

Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Pitching Stats and Depth

View full article