Brewer Fanatic

Article: Brewers Minor League Link Report (9/19): Sal Frelick Provided the Early Spark and Esteury Ruiz Stole his 80th Base as Nashville Wins Again

damuelle

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Sounds raced to an 8-0 lead behind solid performances from Sal Frelick, Esteury Ruiz and young starter Victor Castaneda, then held on for a Game One victory.

Monday’s Game Balls go to the aforementioned Frelick, Ruiz and Castaneda, as well as Pedro Severino and Hobie Harris.

Transactions:

• RHP Jake Cousins recalled to MLB Brewers from AAA Nashville
  • RHP Trevor Kelley optioned to AAA Nashville from MLB Brewers

Game Action:

Final: Nashville 8, Louisville 6
Box Score / Game Log

Via the Sounds’ website, game details, and we encourage readers to review each of the affiliate write-ups as part of their Link Report routine: Sounds Hold Off Louisville After Hot Start

OF Sal Frelick (3-for-5, double, RBI) opened the game with a single to extend his on-base streak to a whopping 36 games and the Sounds were essentially off to the races from there. Two-out RBI singles from 1B Jon Singleton and 2B Patrick Dorrian gave Nashville an early 2-0 lead before starting RHP Victor Castaneda had even thrown a pitch.

Not satisfied with just a two-run lead, Frelick smacked an RBI double for a third run in the 2nd inning, in which the Sounds poured misery on the Bats to score six runs on three doubles and three singles for an 8-0 advantage. In the offensive explosion, OF Esteury Ruiz (2-for-5, double, 2 RBIs, SB) and DH Cam Devanney each contributed two-run doubles and C Pedro Severino (2-for-5, RBI) added an RBI single.

Castaneda (5 IP, 2 R, 5 H, 1 BB, 3 Ks) was solid in his second AAA start of 2022, conceding only two runs and exiting with an 8-2 lead after five innings of work.

It was 8-4 when things tightened up against RHP JC Mejia in the bottom of the 8th inning, with Louisville snatching two runs on three hits and bringing the tying run to the plate twice. Thankfully, Mejia stepped up to induce a groundout and strike out to end the threat.

Now 8-6 and with the Bats having a glimmer of hope, RHP Hobie “No Nonsense” Harris entered for the 9th inning, garnering three straight outs to earn his seventh save and lower his ERA to 2.13.

Three Quick Strikes:

• A 5th inning stolen base for Ruiz gives him 80 thefts on the season (the most in the minors) vs. 13 times caught. Coupled with his OPS of 1.003 in 511 AA/AAA plate appearances, it’s difficult to contain excitement at the prospect of this 23-year-old eventually wreaking havoc for the Brewers in the majors.
  • The 6th inning saw the return of RHP Dylan File, who gave up two runs in his first game action since August 26th. Welcome back Dylan!
  • After scuffling a bit in some recent appearances, RHP Zack Brown gave the team a scoreless 7th inning, working around a one-out double in the process.

Tuesday’s outlook: RHP Josh Lindblom is scheduled to take the mound for Game Two of this week’s series in Louisville, aiming to continue a highly productive run (5-0 record in last six starts, with an ERA of 2.06 and 40 Ks in 35 innings during this stretch).

We hope that you enjoy the Minor League Link Report. Good luck on Tuesday!

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

Links for affiliate audio

Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Batting Stats and Depth

Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Pitching Stats and Depth

View full article

I am at the same point of reflection on Sal Frelick’s overall impact as I was way back on Michael Harris II’s impact when he played and dominated for the Double-A Mississippi Braves.

Simply put: Frelick has done more than enough to demonstrate he could have legitimate real impact at the MLB level. Harris II routinely did the same - it was uber-apparent every time the Shuckers faced him, he was a game wrecker. In every aspect of the term. There obviously isn’t a causal relationship here (there never is) but given the success we’ve seen for the Atlanta Braves with both Michael Harris II and more recently call-up, Vaughn Grissom (who I also saw in his brief Mississippi Braves tenure), it begs to ask the question:

In a season where the Brewers have been lauded for their ‘faster promotions than their historical status quo’ efforts, it certainly is a worthwhile consideration to propose “Is it fast enough?”

There are many factors to consider here, and just maybe the team sees that this squad is better served to punt meaningful promotions until 2023 and beyond (especially given the ongoing key pitching injuries and Houser’s ugly season all things considered), but it is certainly worth looking at the recent successes and turnarounds we’ve witnessed in the World Series Champs organization. Their aggressiveness and willingness to Buck the status quo is appearing to serve them yet again. Meanwhile, I struggle to make sense of what exactly it is the Brewers are trying to accomplish in 2022. I maintain this position even if they manage to defy the odds and make the Playoffs.

Anyhow, go Sounds! 

I am at the same point of reflection on Sal Frelick’s overall impact as I was way back on Michael Harris II’s impact when he played and dominated for the Double-A Mississippi Braves.

Simply put: Frelick has done more than enough to demonstrate he could have legitimate real impact at the MLB level. Harris II routinely did the same - it was uber-apparent every time the Shuckers faced him, he was a game wrecker. In every aspect of the term. There obviously isn’t a causal relationship here (there never is) but given the success we’ve seen for the Atlanta Braves with both Michael Harris II and more recently call-up, Vaughn Grissom (who I also saw in his brief Mississippi Braves tenure), it begs to ask the question:

In a season where the Brewers have been lauded for their ‘faster promotions than their historical status quo’ efforts, it certainly is a worthwhile consideration to propose “Is it fast enough?”

There are many factors to consider here, and just maybe the team sees that this squad is better served to punt meaningful promotions until 2023 and beyond (especially given the ongoing key pitching injuries and Houser’s ugly season all things considered), but it is certainly worth looking at the recent successes and turnarounds we’ve witnessed in the World Series Champs organization. Their aggressiveness and willingness to Buck the status quo is appearing to serve them yet again. Meanwhile, I struggle to make sense of what exactly it is the Brewers are trying to accomplish in 2022. I maintain this position even if they manage to defy the odds and make the Playoffs.

Anyhow, go Sounds!