Brewer Fanatic

Proctor to LAD for Betemit

bsglorydays

Why do the Yanks want Betemit? I like him as a player, but he's strictly a right-side of the infield guy, isn't he? The Yanks have that side of the infield pretty covered. Maybe they'll use Betemit at 1st?

I think this deal is probably the Yankees realizing they won't have Rodriguez at 3rd next year. Betemit is a cheap good player, who could competently man 3rd for the Yankees. Or if in the offseason they can find an upgrade over him at 3rd, he is a player that would be easy to pawn off on another team for equal value.

Although I just can't believe that A-Rod would walk away from that contract.

Good angle, Tim.

I also suspect Rodriguez will opt out of New York. My money says he becomes an Angel, given their need for a SS, his own desire to return to short, his respect for their organization and Scoscia, his desire to still be in a huge media market, the fact that Arty Moreno is Hispanic (doesn't hurt), and that Arty has trillions to hand him. Hell, Rodriguez could wind up getting even more than $25.2 mil a year.

If not there, then it's the Cubs, although they may not have the same Angels or Yankees cash they do now, with the sale and all. Maybe the Cubs will be sold, like the Braves were. To a group with LESS resources.

Other than that, the Dodgers and White Sox are possible, especially the White Sox, who will have lots of freed up cash around with some expiring contracts.

Betemit? Meh.

He's another TBS-hyped nugget who never panned out to be what they breathlessly told us about. And if Betemit is playing 1B for the Yankees, that's still kinda weak, don't ya think?

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Quote:
Although I just can't believe that A-Rod would walk away from that contract.
He will, and he'll get more. He'd easily push $30 mil/year, and I imagine he'd remain in Yankee pinstripes as long as they pay up. He has no real reason to leave (a la A-Ramirez in Chi.), and will go to the highest bidder. Other big market teams have a shot, true, and seeing him play with Vlad is a juicy scenario, but I just don't see him leaving NY. Better said, I just don't see NY letting him leave (read: underbidding - they learned their lesson with Matsuzaka)

Archived