Brewer Fanatic

Article: Brewers Minor League Link Report (9/10): Wes Clarke Puts on a HR Show in Biloxi, but is Hardly the Day's Lone Star

Mass Haas

It was a night to remember for the Shuckers Wes Clarke with a trifecta of blasts into the Biloxi sky. Even with a Wisconsin rainout and a Nashville loss, other prospects found their way into the spotlight of our report. Thanks again for visiting with us, let's get to it!

Transaction: 

RHP Trevor Kelley recalled to MLB Brewers from AAA Nashville (replacing injured LHP Eric Lauer)

Final: Charlotte (White Sox) 8, Nashville 5
Via the Sounds' site, game details, and we encourage readers to review each of the affiliate write-ups as part of your Link Report routine:
Charlotte Rallies Past Sounds - Seven-Run Fourth Inning Dooms Nashville
Box Score / Game Log

The Columbus Clippers (Guardians) game had not completed as of the game summary you just read; however the Clippers did win 7-6 and trail the Sounds by 3.5 games (three in the loss column) with 16 games remaining in the season. It's pretty wild the Sounds have had to keep the pedal to the metal given their amazing record. Nothing's locked in yet in terms of a division title.

Three innings into this game and I was literally saying to myself and was about to tweet. you know, given RHP Tyler Herb's recent work and the absolute need for the Brewers to pluck the organization's hottest hand, Herb was suddenly a candidate for a big-league start or two down the stretch. Check out Herb's game log going all the way back to July 26th.

And then the 4th inning happened. Click on the game log link above to review in full. Yikes.

Ho-hum, a 3-for-5 night for Sal Frelick. In his first 33 games at AAA (15 multi-hit games), his line is .364/.444/.447 (.891 OPS), In 132 AB's, Frelick has only struck out 10 times (16 walks), six stolen bases in nine attempts. On-base streak to 28 games.

Esteury Ruiz’s home run was his 14th of the year, but first as a Sound and first as a member of the Brewers organization. MiLB.TV subscribers, go to the 02:05:45 hour minute mark here. Why do you want to visit? The RH-hitter pulled it 461 feet, what a bomb.

Prediction: Brewers re-add catcher Pedro Severino to their 40-man roster immediately after the regular season. Dude is lighting it up at AAA (.918 OPS, 81 AB's). Severino will be able to elect free agency as a XX(d) player after the end of the Major League season and will not have to wait until five days after the last game of the World Series.

Final: Biloxi 9, Mississippi (Braves) 1
Clarke Homers Three Times, Jarvis Dominates In 9-1 Rout - Shuckers Set Single-Season Home Run Record
Pre-Game Media Notes / Box Score / Game Log

Let's remember, Wes Clarke was just drafted in 2021 (10th round), so like Sal Frelick in Nashville, this is just Clarke's first full pro season. It's worth revisiting all the pre-draft scouting reports we gathered in our 2021 Draft Day Forum Thread.

Add a single as well to Clarke's three dingers, 4-for-4 on the night.

Quotes from the man of the hour within - it's always a good thing when the MiLB home office is requesting a post-game interview:

Awesome third start at the AA level for RHP Justin Jarvis. Remember our August feature article on Rule 5 protection candidates? Jarvis was certainly worth considering then, and still is now, though I did not include him within my "Brice Turang - Cam Robinson - Abner Uribe" prediction. Now I'm thinking Lucas Erceg for Robinson, it's never as easy as it seems!

Corey Ray's going to Corey Ray. Good luck in your next destination, young man.

Saturday’s Game between the Timber Rattlers and Sky Carp Rained Out - Game will not be rescheduled; Season Ends Sunday

Darn, was looking forward to commenting on this one as the T-Rats are on such a nice roll. Yeah, they could have scheduled two games Sunday, but then the locals wouldn't be home in time for 3:25 Packers kickoff, would they?

Good luck to Trevor Gott in his first rehab outing Sunday before joining the Sounds in Nashville Tuesday.

This is my final Link Report prior to the end of the Wisconsin season. Thank you, players, Joe Ayrault and staff, Chris Mehring and Kyle Lobner. Lots of fun following this team in 2022.

Final: Carolina 7, Myrtle Beach (Cubs) 3
Mudcats End Losing Streak with 7-3 Victory Cameron Wagner struck out six over four and 2/3 in relief to help Carolina end its three-game skid

Pre-Game Media Notes / Box Score / Game Log

2022 draftees Eric Brown, Jr. and Robert Moore flip-flopped middle infield spots for this one, with Moore at short. Then Moore reached base all five times up (double, single, three walks) and Brown singled and walked twice. Both also stole a base.

Big games also for 19-year-old Jace Avina and two 18-year-old's having nice seasons in Luis Castillo and Jadher Areinamo.

College draftees performing as they should, and teenagers exceeding expectations, that's a nice recipe for future hopes.

Hedbert Perez 0-for-4, sorry Hedbert, but hard to say 2022 was a positive for you overall. Glimpses, sure.

Hey, how about 6'5" RHP Cameron Wagoner's pro debut campaign? The 11th rounder out of Eastern Michigan has a 24-to-2 K-to-BB ratio. 

I've got little statistical evidence beyond my recollections here, but I admittedly will often go to the "Inherited Runners - Scored" portion of the box score before anything else. The Mudcats either have a "3-0" mark, as LHP Leoni De La Cruz ably did here to help save RHP Logan Henderson's line, or it's "3-3" as a disaster relief stint. It's rarely in-between.

Thanks to Greg Young, Jr. for all your efforts in Raleigh. Definitely enhanced our reports for another season. 

Odd for a Sunday, but other than the Timber Rattlers early start we referenced above, the other three affiliates all begin play in the early evening. The NFL controls all! Go get 'em in your season finales today, T-Rats and Mudcats.

Trust me, it's not an afterthought. God Bless America and especially all those who were very directly impacted on this date 21 years ago. Take care, everyone.

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Batting Stats and Depth

Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Pitching Stats and Depth

View full article

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

From the MiLB Wes Clarke article:

“It’s great playing with those guys,” Clarke said. “Garrett Whitley is someone I’ve known for a long time, so me and him are pretty tight and get to hang out and talk a lot. The maturity on the team is great and everyone is focused. There’s no messing around -- everyone gets to work everyday, which I love.”

I absolutely love this. And, it's a testament to how the Shuckers have come off a 26-4 two game deficit to start the Braves series. This is all we can ask for as fans and, I want to again laud Garrett Whitley for what he's brought down to Biloxi since he was assigned to fill the void. Clarke has had a truly wonderful year and it's yet another player in the system who can man 1B and take a free pass with the best of them. I think we'd be hard-pressed to find any combination of 1B/DH candidates with more collective walks than Big Jon Singleton, Thomas Dillard, and Wes Clarke. All three are just truly enjoyable to watch play baseball.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

From the MiLB Wes Clarke article:

“It’s great playing with those guys,” Clarke said. “Garrett Whitley is someone I’ve known for a long time, so me and him are pretty tight and get to hang out and talk a lot. The maturity on the team is great and everyone is focused. There’s no messing around -- everyone gets to work everyday, which I love.”

I absolutely love this. And, it's a testament to how the Shuckers have come off a 26-4 two game deficit to start the Braves series. This is all we can ask for as fans and, I want to again laud Garrett Whitley for what he's brought down to Biloxi since he was assigned to fill the void. Clarke has had a truly wonderful year and it's yet another player in the system who can man 1B and take a free pass with the best of them. I think we'd be hard-pressed to find any combination of 1B/DH candidates with more collective walks than Big Jon Singleton, Thomas Dillard, and Wes Clarke. All three are just truly enjoyable to watch play baseball.