Brewer Fanatic

Article: Brewers Minor League Link Report (9/9): Eduardo Garcia Keys an Incredibly Entertaining Wisconsin Victory

Mass Haas

It was an upbeat Friday night for the most part on the Brewers farm. Southpaw Robert Gasser continues to show the parent club they were wise to make sure he was worth being targeted in the Josh Hader deal. Biloxi's collection of veterans about to hit minor league free agency aren't going quietly. Fans in Appleton were thoroughly entertained in a number of ways as the T-Rats are rolling to wrap up their season. While Carolina did stumble, the Mudcats did help us reach back into the archival jukebox with video and lyrics that encapsulate how all Brewers fans are feeling right now about the big-league shortcomings.

Transactions:

- RHP Justin Topa returned to AAA Nashville, then immediately recalled to MLB Brewers (replacing injured RHP Freddy Peralta)
- OF Jonathan Davis sent on rehab assignment to High-A Wisconsin from MLB Brewers

Final: Nashville 9, Charlotte (White Sox) 1
Via the Sounds' site, game details, and we encourage readers to review each of the affiliate write-ups as part of your Link Report routine:
Sounds Extend Division Lead, Rout Knights - Robert Gasser tosses gem, Jon Singleton and Patrick Dorrian homer as Nashville evens series
Pre-Game Media Notes / Box Score / Game Log

First off, let's acknowledge that this nun in Charlotte would have had a better first inning than Jason Alexander Friday night -

We don't know why Brice Turang had missed time since last playing on Saturday the 3rd, but it was nice to see him back at shortstop and not eased in with a DH role. We regularly link to Voice of the Sounds' Jeff Hem's pre-game interviews on our Minor League Forum, be sure you listen to Infield Coordinator Bob Miscik discuss Turang in detail here.

Joey Wiemer on base four times including two walks and that .442 OPS for the month of July is a wondrously distant memory and outlier. Speaking of the pre-game interviews, be sure to bounce to the 4:30 minute mark of Manager Rick Sweet's latest chat here for his commentary on Wiemer's continued development. 

Not burying the lead - LHP Robert Gasser's line was very impressive for AAA start #2, just one walk, one HBP.

Final: Biloxi 8, Mississippi (Braves) 3
Knarr's Quality Outing Supported By Early Runs In 8-3 Win - Ray, Whitley and Clarke Homer For Biloxi

Plenty of video highlights via the Shuckers' Twitter Media Feed. Wes Clarke and Nick Kahle will be back in 2023, Corey Ray and Garrett Whitley will not as minor league free agents. 

Felix Valerio now 30-for-39 in stolen base attempts in 2022.

LHP Brandon Knarr making 15 starts with one more to go at the AA level this year portends well, remember, this is only his 2nd pro season.

Fireballing RH reliever Zach Vennaro's season-long game log reveals six-run blow-up outings in June, August and September. Plenty of zeroes, but oh my, those poor outings decimate the year-end numbers.

Final: Wisconsin 6, Beloit (Marlins) 5
Eighth-Inning Rally Does It for the Rattlers…Again! García homers twice, including late, game-tying blast, for Wisconsin

What a final week the T-Rats are giving us and fans in Appleton! You can tell Voice of the Rattlers Chris Mehring is pumped, that is one wonderfully beefy game report. "Beefy" as the Wisconsin Brats, heh...

The video package is as glorious as those "Brats" uniforms. There are literally five or six truly eye-opening moments, Be sure to note how right fielder Arbert Cipion covered first base - say what? Yes, wow.

Eduardo Garcia is a physical specimen, do we have to wait until a big-league debut before his MiLB Player Page no longer lists him at 6'2", 160? Garcia only turned 20 in July; he was limited by injury to just ten games in 2019, lost 2020 as did so many others. The strikeout issues are clear, the OBP is weak, but have Garcia open in Wisconsin in 2023 and hope the spring training developments truly blossom.

AUDIO via the Rattler Radio Soundcloud: "The Timber Rattlers rallied in the eighth inning to win a game from the Beloit Sky Carp for the third game in a row. Chris Mehring and Kyle Lobner talk about Eduardo Garcia's big night and a few other details. Then, Joe Ayrault joins the podcast for more discussion after a win on Bratoberfest!"

Not one, but two jersey auctions? Yeah, the Jackson Chourio options are already climbing, less with Jeferson Quero, that may be where the value is. The Carlos F. Rodriguez and Stiven Cruz jerseys are there for the taking for those speculating on the future big-league aspirations of the RHP's.

Final: Myrtle Beach (Cubs) 10, Carolina 3
Mudcats Drop Third Straight 10-3 in Myrtle Beach Two three-run home runs in the first and second innings proved to be too much for the Mudcats

The Pelicans do a nice job with their own YouTube game highlights, though clearly here it's mainly a lowlights feature for Carolina. You'll see Robert Moore's RBI single, and the two-RBI base hit of Jace Avina (though to be honest, Avino's shallow fly to center field should have been caught).

First round pick Eric Brown, Jr. with two hits to push his Mudcat OPS to .786 in 21 games. Remember how we just indicated Eduardo Garcia would benefit from beginning 2022 in Wisconsin? That's a conflict with Brown's trajectory, though with Brown's draft status, Biloxi may be his April landing spot. Player Development placement/assignments are such a jigsaw puzzle.

It's been quite a while since we entered the BrewerFanatic Minor League Link Report Musical Time Machine, but my mention of "Jigsaw" just now brings us back to 1975 and an amazing musical arrangement for one of the greatest of all the one-hit wonders. On top of that, please read/listen to the lyrics of "Sky High" and tell me it's relatable to our Milwaukee big-league fandom right now.

Blown round by the wind
Thrown down in a spin
I gave you love
I thought that we had made it to the top
I gave you all I had to give
Why did it have to stop?
You've blown it all sky high
By telling me a lie
Without a reason why
You, you've blown it all sky high
Our love had wings to fly
We could have touched the sky
Up, round, I've flown
Then down, down like a stone
I gave you love
I thought that we had made it to the top
I gave you all I had to give
Why did it have to stop?
By telling me a lie
Without a reason why
Our love had wings to fly
We could have touched the sky
By telling me a lie
Without a reason why

Don't worry, Brewers, I'm still with you -- wild card, then World Series 2022!

Props to lead singer drummers (and lip-synching for these classic TV performances)

Nashville has the earliest Saturday start at 4:35 Central. Promising RHP's Logan Henderson, the afore-mentioned Stiven Cruz, and Justin Jarvis will be toeing the rubber for their respective teams. Enjoy your Saturday, everyone!

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Batting Stats and Depth

Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Pitching Stats and Depth

View full article

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Great write-up. Yeah, I was also thinking that Eric Brown Jr. could follow the ol’ Cam Devanney early AA Biloxi placement route. He’s 19 months older than Eduardo Garcia. But we also have Freddy Zamora! Oh, the bounty of terrific prospects!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Great write-up. Yeah, I was also thinking that Eric Brown Jr. could follow the ol’ Cam Devanney early AA Biloxi placement route. He’s 19 months older than Eduardo Garcia. But we also have Freddy Zamora! Oh, the bounty of terrific prospects!