Brewer Fanatic

Article: Brewers Make Moves Before Twin Bill

TL Schwerz

Getting set for a doubleheader today against the San Francisco Giants, the Milwaukee Brewers made a trio of transactions to set their roster. With an additional spot open due to the doubleheader, they activated infielder Mike Brosseau and recalled pitcher Justin Topa, while only needing to option infielder Esteury Ruiz.

On Tuesday Mike Brosseau began a rehab assignment with the Single-A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. It’s traditionally been Milwaukee’s process this year to send a player to the Single-A affiliate when they’d quickly be activated. Brosseau played in two games for the Timber Rattlers, going 3-for-5, before his activation today.

Justin Topa has been working towards a return all season and began pitching again in July. He joined Triple-A Nashville at the end of July and has posted a 3.71 ERA across 17 innings. Topa threw just 3 1/3 innings at the Major League level last season for Milwaukee and the 31-year-old has just 11 career-to-date.

Esteury Ruiz was sent back to Triple-A after most recently being recalled on September 1.

View full article

Fingers crossed for Topa. Been a long road through his injuries, so I'm ready for him to be able to help out the MLB bullpen.

Good to see Brosseau back, as he's had a good season for the Brewers and really helps out in the "vs LHP" lineups.

Sending Ruiz down makes sense. I believe he's already used his option, he got another taste of the majors, and can now get some full-time play in Nashville.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Fingers crossed for Topa. Been a long road through his injuries, so I'm ready for him to be able to help out the MLB bullpen.

Good to see Brosseau back, as he's had a good season for the Brewers and really helps out in the "vs LHP" lineups.

Sending Ruiz down makes sense. I believe he's already used his option, he got another taste of the majors, and can now get some full-time play in Nashville.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

2 hours ago, monty57 said:

I suspect Ruiz is going to be traded this off-season and the Brewers don't want to expose him too much. Just a feeling based on the "other trades fell through," and then the fact that we do not lack for OFers. That's really got nothing to do with anything, just throwing that out there. Also hoping they can get Topa into a game tonight after putting a few crooked numbers up early. 

Sure be nice to get this double header and kick of our delayed start to Craigtember. 

2 hours ago, monty57 said:

I suspect Ruiz is going to be traded this off-season and the Brewers don't want to expose him too much. Just a feeling based on the "other trades fell through," and then the fact that we do not lack for OFers. That's really got nothing to do with anything, just throwing that out there. Also hoping they can get Topa into a game tonight after putting a few crooked numbers up early. 

Sure be nice to get this double header and kick of our delayed start to Craigtember. 

2 minutes ago, UpandIn said:

I don't look forward to any of the "Nashville 4" OFs being traded, but I suspect someone will be part of a deal simply because there's four of them, they all have value, & you have Chourio coming up behind them. Ruiz is as good a guess as any as there appears to be a hit tool & solid defensive ability for the other three as well as speed; supposedly Ruiz' defense is a bit suspect.

Topa has never seemed to work out here. Maybe with the health issues behind him that can change.

2 minutes ago, UpandIn said:

I don't look forward to any of the "Nashville 4" OFs being traded, but I suspect someone will be part of a deal simply because there's four of them, they all have value, & you have Chourio coming up behind them. Ruiz is as good a guess as any as there appears to be a hit tool & solid defensive ability for the other three as well as speed; supposedly Ruiz' defense is a bit suspect.

Topa has never seemed to work out here. Maybe with the health issues behind him that can change.