Brewer Fanatic

Article: Brewers' Farm System Climbs Up MLB's Ranks

On 8/30/2022 at 6:28 PM, NBBrewFan said:

I don't know if it's that low.  I tend to think overall ranking tracks with top 100 prospects and you need to have 4 prospects in the top 100 (and not all 50+) to be higher than 15th (since each team should have 3.3 on average and the middle is #15/16).  So I really don't think they are that far from #19 on mlb.com.  I think you could make the argument that we should be flipped with the Giants as 2 Top prospects (#17/#22) isn't necessarily that much better than Churio/Frelick plus Weimer (#11/49/89).  Hard to argue we should be higher than #18. Where they may get a bump is if Turang or Mitchel make it into the top 100 at the end of the year or next preseason plus where does Ruiz end up.

Your being a realist & that is a good thing.

I just mentioned in another thread, but yeah. Just a great year on the farm. Both quality and depth.

I, too, don't care about rankings (and as I've mentioned before, rankings in most contexts is flawed).

Trading Kelly, I think, hurt our TOR potential, not that I'm too worried about it. Perhaps Misiorowski will change that in a hurry. I agree with everyone posting about the quality and depth of our recent classes of Venezuelans (and a couple of Dominicans).

My own pet belief, too, is that power is overrated in a prospect. MLB parks are tiny. Even the "40 future power" graded Luis Urias is a 20-30 HR hitter. If guys can get clean contact with some launch angle, they will hit big league HRs. Tangential to said pet belief is that the average square-footage of big-league parks combined with a newfound belief in defense (including the Brewers choosing "middle-of the-diamond" defenders), is making it very difficult to hit singles/doubles, thus squeezing the life out of contact hitters. However, this season, MLB instituted their humidors. MAYBE the reason for the low-average, 3TO-style of baseball will change due to the humidors or other such alterations (shift rules?). I expect to see this reflected in the contracts doled out to players. I believe we will see a renaissance of the .300 hitter.

I just mentioned in another thread, but yeah. Just a great year on the farm. Both quality and depth.

I, too, don't care about rankings (and as I've mentioned before, rankings in most contexts is flawed).

Trading Kelly, I think, hurt our TOR potential, not that I'm too worried about it. Perhaps Misiorowski will change that in a hurry. I agree with everyone posting about the quality and depth of our recent classes of Venezuelans (and a couple of Dominicans).

My own pet belief, too, is that power is overrated in a prospect. MLB parks are tiny. Even the "40 future power" graded Luis Urias is a 20-30 HR hitter. If guys can get clean contact with some launch angle, they will hit big league HRs. Tangential to said pet belief is that the average square-footage of big-league parks combined with a newfound belief in defense (including the Brewers choosing "middle-of the-diamond" defenders), is making it very difficult to hit singles/doubles, thus squeezing the life out of contact hitters. However, this season, MLB instituted their humidors. MAYBE the reason for the low-average, 3TO-style of baseball will change due to the humidors or other such alterations (shift rules?). I expect to see this reflected in the contracts doled out to players. I believe we will see a renaissance of the .300 hitter.