Brewer Fanatic

Demi Orimoloye and Gilbert Lara

Hopper

I was curious to see whatever happened to these guys

I remember back in 2015 when we used to think these guys were going to be absolute stars, and would turn us around!

Looks like Orimoloye is out of baseball (actually a free agent and did play in 2021), and Lara is still part of the Nationals farm system playing AA in Harrisburg.  Just trudging along.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I was curious to see whatever happened to these guys

I remember back in 2015 when we used to think these guys were going to be absolute stars, and would turn us around!

Looks like Orimoloye is out of baseball (actually a free agent and did play in 2021), and Lara is still part of the Nationals farm system playing AA in Harrisburg.  Just trudging along.

It can be very difficult in judging players who are 16 and what they will do once they hit the minor leagues.  Lara I believe was a top 5 or top 10 during his signing period.  A lot of those guys flame out as it is impossible to tell how a 16-year old is going to pan out when they are signing.  Just look at the MLB draft where players are 18+ and how many of the top picks don't even make it past AAA.  

Demi always had the power that you fantasize about in a baseball player.  The problem he had is that he could never get to that power in a game as he was never able to make enough contact.  

Baseball is an extremely hard sport to break into.  An injury to your wrist that wouldn't hurt you in the NFL can basically end your career in MLB.  It is extremely difficult to make it from HS --> College --> MiLB --> MLB or HS --> MiLB --> MLB.  For the players from other countries it is basically Little League --> MiLB --> MLB.  A lot of the players are going to just not make it.  I think the Brewers saw this and instead of spending all of their money on a few players they decided to go the route of signing as many as you can and hopefully you don't roll snake eyes on all of them. 

This is also the time when the Brewers were emphasizing power over all other aspects for hitters when drafting or signing international players.  In the previous draft of the Lara signing the Brewers drafted Gatewood, Harrison, Stokes and DeMuth in the first 5 rounds.   I believe Stokes was the only one that didn't fit that power profile that the Brewers were going after.

• Like 2

Wow...Lara was a guy the Brewers were just ALL in on. Didn't they have to pay a fine of 3.2M in addition to signing him for 3.2M due to how far over their bonus pool they went? And then they couldn't spend more than...500K or something like that for the next couple years. So it wasn't until 2017 when they were able to start to really spend again, and as noted, spread their signing bonuses out a bit more.

This was at the same time we had drafted a 6'5 Shortstop Jacob Gatewood. A lot of all or nothing. The organization has made a pretty distinct change in approach since that Lara signing. David Stearns was hired the following year and has our organization in really great shape. There are so many guys like...Stiven Cruz who just wouldn't be in Milwaukee's organization under the old ideology. 

Brewer Fanatic Staff
23 hours ago, UpandIn said:

Wow...Lara was a guy the Brewers were just ALL in on. Didn't they have to pay a fine of 3.2M in addition to signing him for 3.2M due to how far over their bonus pool they went? And then they couldn't spend more than...500K or something like that for the next couple years. So it wasn't until 2017 when they were able to start to really spend again, and as noted, spread their signing bonuses out a bit more.

While the Brewers spent pretty much the entirety of their pool on Lara, I have zero recollections of any penalties associated with his signing.

1 hour ago, Mass Haas said:

While the Brewers spent pretty much the entirety of their pool on Lara, I have zero recollections of any penalties associated with his signing.

Meanwhile, the Brewers are going all-in on this round of international signings by taking Lara and, more likely than not, signing no other players of note this season. Lara's bonus exceeds the Brewers' pool by 22.5%, meaning the team is paying a 100% fine on the overage while also forfeiting their right to sign another international free agent for more than $300,000 for the next two years. Milwaukee would have to acquire additional bonus slots if they hope to not face those consequences.

Courtesy of Brewcrewball.com 

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2014/7/2/5865901/gilbert-lara-brewers-international-signing-dominican

I don't know if this is entirely accurate, but we didn't sign anyone of significance until I think Larry Ernesto. I was just looking at our signings year by year and I think he was the next significant signing we'd made for 1.8M, but that could have been a year after the 2 year 300K limit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Outlander said:

Jake Gatewood is another one, it seems like forever since he was in the Brewers system but still only 26 and in AAA for the Angels. Still struggling with low contact and OBP.

Yup, I had really high hopes for that kid :(