Brewer Fanatic

Article: Stormin' Gorman Thomas was the Quintessential Brewer

reillymcshane

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Gorman Thomas. He was scruffy and disheveled. He looked like he had had a few too many beers and eaten a few too many cheeseburgers. On any given night you could count on him running into a wall, striking out, or hitting a home run. It was the glory years of Brewer baseball, and Thomas became one of the most beloved players in franchise history.

Gorman Thomas was born in 1950 in South Carolina. He was drafted in the first round (21st overall) of the 1969 draft - the first pick of the fledgling Pilots/Brewer franchise. A shortstop in high school, Thomas quickly emerged as a low average, high power, high strikeout player. After shifting between shortstop and third base for a couple of years, Thomas settled in as a center fielder, where he showed a strong arm and good range.

Thomas reached Milwaukee in 1973, but struggled in limited action. Then, in 1974 he hammered 51 HR at AAA, netting him a position on the 1975 squad. Unfortunately, Thomas played poorly, hitting under .200 the next two seasons as a part time player. At age 26, he found himself back at AAA. He performed well, hitting .322 with 36 HR, but was traded to Texas shortly after the season.

At age 27, Thomas could have easily ended up a AAAA type player, but luckily for him, Milwaukee decided they wanted to have him back. In February of 1978, the Brewers bought Thomas back from the Rangers. He seized the opportunity, not only making the club, but working himself into the regular lineup. In 137 games, he slugged 32  home runs, and became a cornerstone of 'Bambie's Bombers' - the powerful lineup trotted out by new manager Geroge Bamburger.

Brewer coach Frank Howard gave Thomas the nickname of Stormin' Gorman. 

Over the next five years Thomas hit 175 HR, leading the league twice. (He also led the league in strikeouts twice as well.) He drove in over a 100 runs three times during those years. His batter average floated in the .240-250 range, but the power and plus defense made him an indispensable part of the late 70s/early 80s Brewer teams.

In 1983, the 32-year-old Thomas struggled out of the gate, hitting only .182 in 46 games. Injuries and age had taken a toll on Thomas, not to mention his hard living. Seeking to shake up the club, the Brewers dealt Thomas to Cleveland for outfielder Rick Manning .

Thomas was crushed by the trade. He had developed folk legend status in Milwaukee, and the deal had ended his fairy tale ride. The Indians dealt Thomas after the season to Seattle, where he floundered before succumbing to rotator cuff surgery.

Thomas had one last good year in 1985, hitting 32 HR as DH for the Mariners and winning the AL Comeback Player of the Year Award. But the success was short lived. He struggled the next season, and in a (mostly) PR move, the Brewers reacquired the aging slugger. He played 44 games for the Crew, hitting a tepid .179 with a paltry 6 HR. Milwaukee released the 35 year old Thomas after the season, and his career was over.

Thomas spent parts of 11 seasons with Milwaukee (although only five as a full time starter). He averaged about 4.0 WAR from 1978-82, participate in an all star game (1981) and the 1982 World Series. He hit 208 HR, drove in 605 runs, walked 501 times, struck out 1033 times, and hit .230. He was three true outcomes before three true outcomes existed.

But Gorman Thomas' influence was never measured in just numbers. For Brewer fans, he was a folk hero, and he has essentially fashioned a second career around this status. He was the quintessential Brewer. He played hard and he partied hard. Fans celebrated his larger than life persona - and Gorman was happy to live it up with them. He was known for stopping by tailgates after games and drinking beers with fans. Along with teammate Pete Vukovich, Thomas opened a bar near the stadium called Stormin' and Vukes'.

Over the years, Thomas has remained in the Brewer family working in a variety of capacities, including helping out at spring training, participating in fantasy camps, and doing personal appearances. He also lent his name to Gorman's Grill at Miller Park.

He still resides in the Milwaukee area, hunting, fishing and golfing in his retirement. Thomas was inducted into both the South Carolina and Wisconsin Athletic Halls of Fame as well as the Brewers Wall of Fame. 

Please share your memories of former Milwaukee Brewer Gorman Thomas.

View full article

My all time favorite Brewer.  And player.  Dude was my absolute hero when I was a wee lad and why I still have a soft spot for big swingin', home run hittin', strikeout machines today. I literally cried when they traded him in 83, and I didn't care that he was having an awful, awful season.  Him not being a Brewer couldn't even register to my 9 year old brain. 

Very nice write up.  Thanks for this!

My all time favorite Brewer.  And player.  Dude was my absolute hero when I was a wee lad and why I still have a soft spot for big swingin', home run hittin', strikeout machines today. I literally cried when they traded him in 83, and I didn't care that he was having an awful, awful season.  Him not being a Brewer couldn't even register to my 9 year old brain. 

Its kind of amazing he was a decent defensive CF, considering his body type and lifestyle.  He was a big guy with a big appetite.  My memory thinks of him as a Vogelbach body type but looking at pictures from his prime, he was pretty sveldt.  Interesting that he even played some infield in his early days. 

He never had a season with an OPS above 900, even with 45 home runs.  But still was an incredibly productive player in his prime.  He had a lot of rough seasons as well, which is reflected in his career 772 OPS.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Its kind of amazing he was a decent defensive CF, considering his body type and lifestyle.  He was a big guy with a big appetite.  My memory thinks of him as a Vogelbach body type but looking at pictures from his prime, he was pretty sveldt.  Interesting that he even played some infield in his early days. 

He never had a season with an OPS above 900, even with 45 home runs.  But still was an incredibly productive player in his prime.  He had a lot of rough seasons as well, which is reflected in his career 772 OPS.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

10 hours ago, DuWayne Steurer said:

Were we separated at birth?  I was 9 at the time too... and I begged my parents to take me to his return game in 86 and they obliged.  Have the ticket stub mounted in one of my Brewers collages.

Some similarities between that trade in 83 and the Brewers trading Hader this year.  Did those trades take the heart and guts out of their teams?  Seemed like it did in 83, some arguments that it did in 22 too.

10 hours ago, DuWayne Steurer said:

Were we separated at birth?  I was 9 at the time too... and I begged my parents to take me to his return game in 86 and they obliged.  Have the ticket stub mounted in one of my Brewers collages.

Some similarities between that trade in 83 and the Brewers trading Hader this year.  Did those trades take the heart and guts out of their teams?  Seemed like it did in 83, some arguments that it did in 22 too.

Back in the day, people had all sorts of stories about Gorman. He'd stop by people tailgating after the game - eat food and drink beers. I ran into one guy who told me about meeting him in the lot after the game, and inviting him to a house party. He showed up. People just loved him.

Back in the day, people had all sorts of stories about Gorman. He'd stop by people tailgating after the game - eat food and drink beers. I ran into one guy who told me about meeting him in the lot after the game, and inviting him to a house party. He showed up. People just loved him.

Met him in the concourse of Miller Park about 15-20 years ago. He signed a ball for me and we talked 82. I told him I was young but I still remembered his long last at bat in Game 7. He struck out but to me it showed great grit and will. He said, “13 pitches, right?” I wasn’t sure then or even now, but it was a cool moment at Miller Park with Stormin. The actual people on that team were so loved. Many of those players were veterans in the game and had played several seasons with the Brewers. Best run of teams from 1977-1983. 

Met him in the concourse of Miller Park about 15-20 years ago. He signed a ball for me and we talked 82. I told him I was young but I still remembered his long last at bat in Game 7. He struck out but to me it showed great grit and will. He said, “13 pitches, right?” I wasn’t sure then or even now, but it was a cool moment at Miller Park with Stormin. The actual people on that team were so loved. Many of those players were veterans in the game and had played several seasons with the Brewers. Best run of teams from 1977-1983.