Brewer Fanatic

Mitchell called up from AAA; Davis to DL

torts

16 hours ago, PlayerHader said:

TT starting in CF and hitting 9th tonight. Boooooo

The Brewers always do this with rookies - they give them a day to adjust, get over the nerves/awe, see how the clubhouse works and how guys interact, and then put them in the lineup the next day.  The exceptions are if it's an emergency spot start for a pitcher.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, torts said:

I am 1000% here for people flying through the minors, he was drafted June 2020 and 2 years later makes his debut.  More of this!  

Yeah, and even more amazing when you consider how much time he missed with injury. He's in the majors with just 472 minor league at bats. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

6 hours ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

As far as pure athleticism and 5-tool potential goes, Mitchell is probably the best of the four OF prospects. Very similar body type to Christian Yelich. Hasn't hit for a ton of power yet, but he has a swing that should translate to 20+ HR power.

Being a Type 1 diabetic myself, I have been following Mitchell's career closely. This is really cool. 

He and Wiemer look like the prototypes when building baseball players...or Tight Ends. I'd argue Wiemer's tools are more impressive, but...that it's a question is what makes it exciting. I really thought it'd be Frelick or Ruiz and we know Turang is going to be up...so that's 5 players who should be able to help in some degree in the near future. Some of the skill sets are redundant...but redundant on base skills are just fine with me. 

• Like 1

At first I thought wtaf when they promoted Mitchell over Frelick and Ruiz.

Then the conspiracy theories kicked in.

They promoted Mitchell over those two guys (in spite of Frelick being more productive and Ruiz being on the 40-man) because they knew there was no way in hell Mitchell is up next year before June, so he'll still have <6 years of service at the end of 2028.
Bastards. It's not about who they thought was more ready.

41 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

They promoted Mitchell over those two guys (in spite of Frelick being more productive and Ruiz being on the 40-man) because they knew there was no way in hell Mitchell is up next year before June, so he'll still have <6 years of service at the end of 2028.

LOL. It's not a conspiracy when it makes logical sense and all the rules are published and literally one person is making the call.  They needed a lefty CF, so it was between Mitchell and Frelick.  Both are 1st round picks and Mitchell has been in the system a year longer.  Both have been very productive, especially of late.  It's not a stretch to bring up Mitchell--but adding to it the possibility of getting another year out of both of those players makes it a smart move by those "bastards."

• Like 1

It could also be they have become accustomed to plus center field defense and I think Mitchell is supposed to be the best defender in center. Honestly, with Wiemer’s hot streak, all of them have been performing well enough with the bat to be the one getting the call. Maybe rather than all the service time related thoughts it actually just came down to defense.

10 hours ago, Robocaller said:

Your reason for Ruiz over Mitchell is because he is on the 40-man ... so them choosing Mitchell over Ruiz would tell you they think he is more ready for this spot DESPITE the 40 man hurdle. 

It's actually the opposite of your conspiracy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liveforoctober said:

Your reason for Ruiz over Mitchell is because he is on the 40-man ... so them choosing Mitchell over Ruiz would tell you they think he is more ready for this spot DESPITE the 40 man hurdle. 

It's actually the opposite of your conspiracy.

No it's not. Ruiz already has 14 days of major league service. So he won't be breaking AZ with the major league team either.

8 hours ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

It could also be they have become accustomed to plus center field defense and I think Mitchell is supposed to be the best defender in center. Honestly, with Wiemer’s hot streak, all of them have been performing well enough with the bat to be the one getting the call. Maybe rather than all the service time related thoughts it actually just came down to defense.

Of course it came down to defense, we 'd hate to add a bat to the lineup that might spark the offense in some manner.

Not that Mitchell won't be just fine with the bat, he might.

2 hours ago, Hopper said:

Of course it came down to defense, we 'd hate to add a bat to the lineup that might spark the offense in some manner.

Not that Mitchell won't be just fine with the bat, he might.

Of course, they could have just platooned Yelich and Cutch in CF months ago, since CF should just go to the best bat available ?

On 8/28/2022 at 1:32 AM, Robocaller said:

Golly. Turns out they might have promoted Mitchell because he can play.

• Like 1

We all have our favorites but I am glad they at least called up one of the three, wish it was even sooner. There was always the potential a guy like Mitchell could provide a spark that Davis never could. Hopefully he continues to play well down the stretch and they view him as a potential starter from day 1 next year.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, ClosetBrewerFan said:

Mitchell's OPS is up to nearly 700.  With strong defense and good speed, he is having a pretty good callup.  Looking for more pop and less K's but he is making a strong case to start next year on the opening day roster.  Hope Frelick, Ruiz, Wiemer all make it hard who to choose.

two should be on the opening day roster. one might get traded.