Brewer Fanatic

Jesus Aguilar

He isn't better than Tellez and he isn't better than Hiura, so what's the point?

FWIW, if you believe in advanced analytics, here are Tellez's ranks among all MLB hitters according to Baseball Savant:

xwOBA: 18th
xOBP: 34th
xISO: 8th
Avg exit velocity: 21st (Yelich is 20th)
Barrel %: 13th

My gut feeling is that the Brewers believe that the best predictor of getting a base hit is some combination of exit velocity/barrel % (and among players with at least 100 PAs, Tellez is roughly in the top 1/3rd of lowest K%).  So I would not hold my breath thinking that they are going to bring in anyone to compete with Tellez or Hiura for 1B.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 11:39 PM, LouisEly said:

He isn't better than Tellez and he isn't better than Hiura, so what's the point?

FWIW, if you believe in advanced analytics, here are Tellez's ranks among all MLB hitters according to Baseball Savant:

xwOBA: 18th
xOBP: 34th
xISO: 8th
Avg exit velocity: 21st (Yelich is 20th)
Barrel %: 13th

My gut feeling is that the Brewers believe that the best predictor of getting a base hit is some combination of exit velocity/barrel % (and among players with at least 100 PAs, Tellez is roughly in the top 1/3rd of lowest K%).  So I would not hold my breath thinking that they are going to bring in anyone to compete with Tellez or Hiura for 1B.

1B, 3B, or C are the best places to improve the roster. 1B are the cheapest to acquire (trade or FA).

On 8/26/2022 at 6:31 PM, adambr2 said:

As others mentioned he doesn't have the extreme platoon splits that would help us against our LHP struggles, so he's not the answer. 

I'm a little surprised how bad he's been vs lefties. Last year he was good, the two before that very good.

If he was crushing lefties...it'd make sense, particularly given how he fit with this team, his personality, how he keeps things light, there's just no spot for him...although you could always put him at 3rd!

• Like 1