Brewer Fanatic

Arizona Fall League (2022) roster predictions

nate82

The minimum number of players a team must send to the AFL is 7-players.  Of the 7-players 4 have to be pitchers and 3 have to be positional players. 

The AFL starts on October 3rd.  

https://ballparkdigest.com/2022/06/18/important-2022-arizona-fall-league-dates-announced/

I know a popular name is going to be Chourio but he maybe ineligible if he is a reserve player on a Venezuelan Winter League team.  

Here is who I think will be going to the AFL.

Position players:

INF: Tyler Black (He will have to be removed from the IL before he can join the team)

OF: Garrett Mitchell

INF: Cam Devanney

Pitchers:

RP: Cam Robinson

SP: Carlos Rodriguez

SP: Brandon Knarr

SP: Robert Gasser

These are the seven that I think have the best chance to make it to the AFL.  I think the Brewers will give Frelick some time off as he has played the full year in the minors while Mitchell has had some time off due to injuries.  I think Wiemer will also be given some time off to heal as it doesn't look like he has fully healed from the injury he suffered last year in the AFL.  

For the Venezuelan and Dominican players the Brewers have it is hard to say if they will be a reserve for their home countries teams.  I wouldn't be surprised if Chourio will be on a Venezuelan Winter League team which will make him ineligible for the AFL.   

So much relies for pitchers on who has innings left. Because of the time missed with injuries (unless they are trying to hide him before the Rule 5 draft) Castaneda probably makes sense. From the bullpen, Andrews for the same reason and with the same caveat. Middendorf could be an interesting pick there too.

For several years now the Brewers have not sent top pitching prospects to the AFL.  Robinson may have an outside chance because he's a reliever, but the Brewers just don't send top SP prospects.  They send them to their lab.  I will bet money that Gasser and Rodriguez will not be selected.

Mitchell, Devanney, and Black are good calls if Black is back from injury.  I'd put Valerio and Brent Diaz as having a good shot, with Darrien Miller and Ernesto W. Martinez as dark horses.  My guess is Devanney, one of Diaz/Miller, and one of Black/Valerio/Martinez.

As for pitchers, my guess is the pull from guys like Vennaro, Luis Contreras, Hasler, Zavolas, Meeker, Middendorf.

On 8/27/2022 at 9:30 AM, LouisEly said:

For several years now the Brewers have not sent top pitching prospects to the AFL.  Robinson may have an outside chance because he's a reliever, but the Brewers just don't send top SP prospects.  They send them to their lab.  I will bet money that Gasser and Rodriguez will not be selected.

Mitchell, Devanney, and Black are good calls if Black is back from injury.  I'd put Valerio and Brent Diaz as having a good shot, with Darrien Miller and Ernesto W. Martinez as dark horses.  My guess is Devanney, one of Diaz/Miller, and one of Black/Valerio/Martinez.

As for pitchers, my guess is the pull from guys like Vennaro, Luis Contreras, Hasler, Zavolas, Meeker, Middendorf.

It is possible that Gasser and Rodriguez will not be selected but I think Knarr is a real possibility and Robinson I think is a lock as he is only a reliever.  It is hard to predict if the Dominican and Venezuelan players will be on a winter league or not for their home countries.  So that eliminates a few players for the Brewers.  Most probably won't be reserves or make the teams out right.  There is also the WBC next year and some of the players are probably going to want to play for their home countries if they are able to.  Nationalism is a lot higher in the Caribbean, South American and Latin American countries than it is in the US so playing for their home country in the WBC is far more important to them than US players.  That will also need to be taken into account.  

I always have the hardest time finding the pitchers for the Brewers that they will send to the minors so I just took the top ones that I thought had the best chance given all the variables.  Will probably be wrong on most of my picks though I think Black and DeVanney are probably locks well as long as Black is healthy he should be a lock.  May need to remove Mitchell depending on if the Brewers make the playoffs or not.