Brewer Fanatic

Gwynn Being recalled

jwill535

I don't really see how the Luis Castillo comparison works, because as Rluz said, he stinks.

However, that leads me to wonder, has Gwynn ever been tried at other positions? Mainly, could he play second base? I think one of the problems we have with Gwynn and his low OPS and beyond poor power numbers is because he plays outfield. He plays a very sound defensive outfield, and I wonder if that could translate somehow to the infield? Historically, as we know, 2B not named Jeff Kent or Chase Utley put up numbers similar to Gwynn, decent OBP with speed at the top of the lineup (maybe hitting 2nd for some team, ala Castillo). Maybe he'd have a better chance of sticking with this team if he were able to be converted to a Counsellino type player when those guys leave.

How about trading Gwynn and Mench for Dye? The White Sox are desperate for a CF and Gwynn for all his offensive shortcomings is a good defensive CF.

White Sox already have players like this in their system so why would they trade for Gwynn. Brian Anders and Ryan Sweeney have been out in CF.

How about we just support him and hope he does well. He's a young kid who is going to get a shot to play for a few weeks and we'll see how he does.

First let the kid show he has a reason to get some support. Maybe like getting on base and driving the ball so he is not the weakest link to the offense. I'm not sure he is going to get all the playing time at CF or any OF spot while Hall is out anyway.

hooray for Tony! I hope he plays decently.

But what do we expect? Really, he's this year's Marshall Edwards. But who knows? He "stepped it up" to start the year, albeit a small sample. Maybe he's one of those guys who takes his game up a notch in the majors and will continue to hit in the high .290s-low .300s. And maybe not.

Regardless, I'll cheer him on and make the best of it. It can't be worse than cheering on Drew Anderson and Chris Barnwell last year, can it?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

While the title is different, the content of this thread contains exactly the same debate as yesterday's Gwynn speculation thread.

It's too bad a moderator didn't show up before there were 22 posts, but the Olson information should have been appended to the thread above. I'll do a title change on that one so discussion can remain in one place.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived