Brewer Fanatic

Gwynn Being recalled

jwill535

Oh boy, here we go.

IHere's a prediction. If Gwynn plays poorly, he will be roundly criticized on this board. If Gwynn plays well, the anti-Gwynn crowd will flood the board with pre-emptive posts about small sample size, etc..., and be completely dismissive of his good play.

Sigh. Good luck, Tony.

I agree. I just don't see what Gwynn has done to be considered an everyday prospect. But hopefully he proves me wrong in the next 4-6 weeks!

If he's the one coming up, I'd prefer Hart in CF and give Jenkins more time in RF. But I'm sure Yost won't want to "mess with a good thing" that Hart has going.

If Hall is out for a long time we need to make a trade for a righthanded hitting outfielder to replace him.

Well, this roster move could easily be a stopgap while Doug cases out the best deal. So I don't think this precludes a trade.

I hope Corey remains in the leadoff spot, though.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

If Gwynn plays well, the anti-Gwynn crowd will flood the board with pre-emptive posts about small sample size, etc..., and be completely dismissive of his good play.

If you think "small sample" is just some silly, made up term, used to justify ignoring valuable data, you might want to glance at Gwynn's stats in AAA this year:

LINK

You can't have it both ways, can you?

You're listening to me Russ, but you're not hearing me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Small sample size is real. Beaten to death on this site, but real nonetheless. My point is that, if Gwynn does return to Milwaukee, there is literally nothing he could do on the baseball diamond that would prohibit a series of critical posts about him.

It's both sad, and bizarre.

I don't know whether the kid has a future as an everyday player in the majors, a future as a utility outfielder, or no future at all, but if Melvin sees fit to call him up, that means he's the best man for the spot right now. Doug knows a thing or two about baseball.

But listen. If you feel the need upon rumor of Gwynn's "cup of coffee" return to cover an injury, to repeatedly hammer home the point that he doesn't statistically project to be an everyday center fielder for Milwaukee, go with your gut.

i don't know why this gwynn thing gets blown out of proportion everytime it comes up. He had a hot start, he cooled off, he stunk in nashville. He is a backup OF. Thats what they do. They are inconsistent or else they would be starting. The alternatives are not any better. Gross has 2 hits in his last 32 AB's. Small sample size or not. If you start Jenks, Hart, and Mench, you still have to deal with the fact that Jenks doesn't traditionally hit lefties.

Here's to hoping Gwynn plays absolutely out of his mind 'till Hall comes back. Who's to say that can't happen? Guys get hot and cold all the time, right?

Maybe Gwynn sees this as his shot and gets the job done. Either his shot with the Brewers or as auditioning for another team. It could happen just as much as some people say he isn't starter material and is not going to get the job done.

Maybe there's some way we can "mind meld" him to be his Dad when he was in his prime. Yeah, I'm a Trek fan. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Why in the world would they recall Gwynn? Joe Dillon, unlike Gwynn, is hitting really well in AAA, like he always has, and he is on the 40 man roster too. Play Hart in CF, and platoon Gross/Dillon in RF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I currently live in Minnesota and I am convinced Luis Castillo cannot hit the ball out of the infield. Yet he seems to be doing just fine. However Gwynn doesn't have the luxury of the high bounces of the Metrodome turf. I think he can survive without much power like Castillo.

i think they should bring up lance nix

I was kind of hoping that they would have, too, if only to figure out if he's a legit MLB player or more of a AAAA type. But I suppose that they felt more comfortable with TGJ. Probably not much of a difference either way (although TGJ's power numbers at Nashville have been embarrassing).

Quote:
Bring up Joe Dillon.

I have to admit I don't know anything about him.

The website says he's a thirdbaseman. Has he ever played the outfield? Even if he has I have to assume his defense is not nearly as good as Gwynn's.

Maybe they want Gwynn's defense up here and anything he does at the plate is just gravy.

Small sample size is real. Beaten to death on this site, but real nonetheless.

I'd say that it's beaten to death about as much as the phrase, "I know it's a small sample but..."

My point is that, if Gwynn does return to Milwaukee, there is literally nothing he could do on the baseball diamond that would prohibit a series of critical posts about him.

He would have to perform well offensively for an extended period (200+ AB) before I'd readjust my personal opinion of him. Can you literally just not see Gwynn being able to do that?

But listen. If you feel the need upon rumor of Gwynn's "cup of coffee" return to cover an injury, to repeatedly hammer home the point that he doesn't statistically project to be an everyday center fielder for Milwaukee, go with your gut.

My post was prompted by you suggesting that Gwynn is being unjustly criticized on this board but we'll just have to ignore that fact. I think it's only fair for you to be able to call posters out without fear of having to actually justify your position.

I currently live in Minnesota and I am convinced Luis Castillo cannot hit the ball out of the infield. Yet he seems to be doing just fine.

He's having a horrible season so far.

Gwynn is living on his last name and nothing else. If he wasnt the son of a hall of famer he wouldnt be on this team. The guy just cant hit. Its really that simple. Without Hall this lineup is in big trouble. How about trading Gwynn and Mench for Dye? The White Sox are desperate for a CF and Gwynn for all his offensive shortcomings is a good defensive CF.

How about we just support him and hope he does well. He's a young kid who is going to get a shot to play for a few weeks and we'll see how he does. Whether it's Gross, Gwynn, or Mench let's just hope they go out each day and help this team win games. If Gwynn can get on base at a .370 or so, along with his defense and speed he will help this club. Go get them Tony and Gabe...and hurry back Billy!

I'm not trying to be the rah rah guy, but the decention on this board for some players and the love of some players (Keith Ginter????) is somewhat disturbing.

If Gwynn plays (as opposed to Gross), they have to move either Hart or Hardy into the number 5 spot, and either Weeks or Gwynn into the leadoff or number 2 spot.

My preference would be to hit Weeks second and let him see some fastballs batting ahead of Braun and Fielder. They desperately need Weeks to get it going and keeping him down in the 8 spot isn't going to do it.

Quote:
I have to admit I don't know anything about him.

The website says he's a thirdbaseman. Has he ever played the outfield? Even if he has I have to assume his defense is not nearly as good as Gwynn's.

Dillon has alot of OF experience, he is average defensively at 1B, 3B, LF, and RF. Career minor leaguer despite outstanding career AAA numbers. He has a cup of coffee with Florida a few years ago, but has never gotten the chance he deserves.Older, but serviceable. Gwynn is a better defender than Dillon, but Dillon would only be playing RF, so the difference wouldn't make a big impact.

Dillon is a much better hitter than Nix.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

It is MY HOPE that TGJ shows up in Washington and plays outstanding defense and has a hot bat. That is what the Brewers need right now. They need a spark. He fits well in the clubhouse and I for one hope he does very well.

GO BREWERS

Archived