Brewer Fanatic

Article: List of Brewers Rule 5 Eligible Players - Who to Protect?

Mass Haas

15 hours ago, ARobsBrewCrew said:

What you say is definitely fair, but I think you should check again on Robinson and Devanney.  This is not the first season in which either has impressed.  Also, I don’t know who Richards is :) 

Ack! I meant Andrews, not Richards.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, ARobsBrewCrew said:

What you say is definitely fair, but I think you should check again on Robinson and Devanney.  This is not the first season in which either has impressed.  Also, I don’t know who Richards is :) 

Ack! I meant Andrews, not Richards.

I didn't even think about this, but with no Rule5 draft last year...anyone think it's more likely there is a bit more movement this year when it comes to the Rule5?

Not with our prospects necessarily, but just in general. 

I didn't even think about this, but with no Rule5 draft last year...anyone think it's more likely there is a bit more movement this year when it comes to the Rule5?

21 minutes ago, UpandIn said:

Maybe a little because I am guessing you had a few teams not protect borderline guys they might have in the past, gambling that it wouldn’t happen (not completely convinced Brewers didn’t use this strategy).

I still think the bigger effect, though, is the COVID year delayed development for the guys eligible this year. That will lead to more guys eligible and perhaps more close calls. A couple of years ago the Brewers pretty much protected every healthy prospect in the triple-A phase. No way that can happen this year.

21 minutes ago, UpandIn said:

Maybe a little because I am guessing you had a few teams not protect borderline guys they might have in the past, gambling that it wouldn’t happen (not completely convinced Brewers didn’t use this strategy).

I still think the bigger effect, though, is the COVID year delayed development for the guys eligible this year. That will lead to more guys eligible and perhaps more close calls. A couple of years ago the Brewers pretty much protected every healthy prospect in the triple-A phase. No way that can happen this year.

14 minutes ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

Makes sense. A bit of a logjam. I've thought I'll be interesting to look back at the 2020-2021 NFL, MLB, NBA drafts and see how they compare to normal years. Will we see more prospects who went later in the draft, guys who...say in the NFL would have risen if they'd have the combine process, or UDFAs from the last year in Baseball(or maybe 4th round picks from Cincinnati) exceed expectations.

2020 is going to have lasting implications for HS kids who didn't get a Sr year of sports, for fringe players who couldn't catch onto a practice squad and prospects who weren't invited to the alternate training site and ended up in independent ball. all stories I'm sure we'll hear about in the future. But it'll be interesting to follow. 

14 minutes ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

Makes sense. A bit of a logjam. I've thought I'll be interesting to look back at the 2020-2021 NFL, MLB, NBA drafts and see how they compare to normal years. Will we see more prospects who went later in the draft, guys who...say in the NFL would have risen if they'd have the combine process, or UDFAs from the last year in Baseball(or maybe 4th round picks from Cincinnati) exceed expectations.

2020 is going to have lasting implications for HS kids who didn't get a Sr year of sports, for fringe players who couldn't catch onto a practice squad and prospects who weren't invited to the alternate training site and ended up in independent ball. all stories I'm sure we'll hear about in the future. But it'll be interesting to follow. 

• 4 weeks later...

I would probably change my mind at this point and add Cam Devanney. Every team could use an infielder that goes up and down during the year and Pablo Reyes can't be that anymore so maybe Devanney can be that person. Turang could play that role as well but thinking they would want him to play on a regular basis and not be the shuttle guy.

I would probably change my mind at this point and add Cam Devanney. Every team could use an infielder that goes up and down during the year and Pablo Reyes can't be that anymore so maybe Devanney can be that person. Turang could play that role as well but thinking they would want him to play on a regular basis and not be the shuttle guy.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:19 AM, Outlander said:

They can keep Reyes on the 40-man, can't they? Not saying they should.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:19 AM, Outlander said:

9 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

They could but he’s out of options after this season so there really isn’t much of a point in keeping him on the 40-man. 

9 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

They could but he’s out of options after this season so there really isn’t much of a point in keeping him on the 40-man. 

2 minutes ago, wiguy94 said:

Oh, OK. So they couldn't bounce him back and forth from the minors without exposing him to other teams. But they'll be exposing him if they remove him from the 40, too. 

2 minutes ago, wiguy94 said:

Oh, OK. So they couldn't bounce him back and forth from the minors without exposing him to other teams. But they'll be exposing him if they remove him from the 40, too. 

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to have RH reliever Lucas Erceg back for 2023 on his new minor league deal (which, like RHP Tyler Herb’s deal, includes a big league camp invite).

Those arrangements, however will leave both pitchers eligible for Rule 5 loss, certainly a possibility in the case of Erceg.

Nice to have RH reliever Lucas Erceg back for 2023 on his new minor league deal (which, like RHP Tyler Herb’s deal, includes a big league camp invite).

Those arrangements, however will leave both pitchers eligible for Rule 5 loss, certainly a possibility in the case of Erceg.

3 hours ago, Mass Haas said:

Erceg is a flame-throwing righty reliever without much wear on his arm. Good numbers last year. Already 27 and seemingly mature. He was probably close to getting a call-up this season. He seems like the type of guy that some team will easily take a chance on in the Rule 5. 

3 hours ago, Mass Haas said:

Erceg is a flame-throwing righty reliever without much wear on his arm. Good numbers last year. Already 27 and seemingly mature. He was probably close to getting a call-up this season. He seems like the type of guy that some team will easily take a chance on in the Rule 5. 

1 hour ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Perhaps, and it happens on occasion, but unless he re-signed before this could happen, it seemed like an interested team could have reached out to his agent saying that they would give him a 40-man spot. Unless he preferred to stay in the organization, I guess.

1 hour ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Perhaps, and it happens on occasion, but unless he re-signed before this could happen, it seemed like an interested team could have reached out to his agent saying that they would give him a 40-man spot. Unless he preferred to stay in the organization, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Just bumping this as our friendly reminder:

The Brewers (and all MLB teams) have until November 15th to protect players from the Rule 5 draft (December 7th). That is less than 4 days from now.

Let the countdown clock commence…

As many of you know, I will be paying steadfast attention to one of Elon’s finest, INF Cam Devanney. For his latest thoughts check HERE (note: subscription required for interview).

I think it’s quite obvious (at least, it should be) RHP Abner Uribe has locked himself into protection. BUT, I for one am going to return to consult Jim’s awesome work above.