Brewer Fanatic

Marquette Basketball 2022-23

patrickgpe

What a game and win for Marquette. OMax didn't have a field goal until his tip-in with under 2 seconds left. 

Also one thing that strikes me about MU is the skillsets and how they fit. OMax slasher, long defender, Oso great passing big; then the perimeter, Kolek great passer floor general who is shooting it well this year, K. Jones a bona fide scorer in a variety of ways, then Stevie who accepts his role scrappy defensive guy who is improving offensively. He really is the key as he holds it all together, plays hard regardless how many shots he gets. The squad just fits together and play so hard. Fun team to watch. 

Last night was a Q1 win, so now thats 5. They have one more ranked team on their schedule before the tourney so I am hoping they finish up strong with about 24 wins or so. You are right, MU doesn't have a star (Kolek is close though) but have a bunch of guys who know their role and do it well. This team is also very unselfish. 

2 hours ago, patrickgpe said:

Last night was a Q1 win, so now thats 5. They have one more ranked team on their schedule before the tourney so I am hoping they finish up strong with about 24 wins or so. You are right, MU doesn't have a star (Kolek is close though) but have a bunch of guys who know their role and do it well. This team is also very unselfish. 

Not a big Marquette fan, but I have tuned in to some games.  It's hard not to like how Coach Smart has this team playing.  Gold has all the makings of a potential star for this team in the future and has exhibited some pretty elite skills. I think this team could make a decent run in the tournament barring the potential match ups. 

20 hours ago, patrickgpe said:

They have gotten better and better as the season has progressed and that's because of coaching. Smart can coach circles around the Dukie Woj and Gard as well. They don't have a star on the team ,yes, but they have alot of youth on this team. Just think how good they'll be for the next three years and beyond.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 4:57 AM, HarryDoyle said:

They have gotten better and better as the season has progressed and that's because of coaching. Smart can coach circles around the Dukie Woj and Gard as well. They don't have a star on the team ,yes, but they have alot of youth on this team. Just think how good they'll be for the next three years and beyond.

No, no, no. Every time I have hope for Marquette basketball, something happens. I want to enjoy this year, and not think ahead. Who knows what will happen even next year with the transfer rules.

24 minutes ago, BrewersSuperCollector said:

No, no, no. Every time I have hope for Marquette basketball, something happens. I want to enjoy this year, and not think ahead. Who knows what will happen even next year with the transfer rules.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Smart is the type of coach players want to play for. The only players that will enter the portal are the end of the bench guys.

Whoo, fingers crossed we might have a Big East championship on the horizon.  Three games they should win left, and with Providence playing @Uconn and Vs.Xavier they may even get a mulligan.  Shaka's already wrapped up COY.  Kolek making a case for POY.  

• Like 1

Nice win last night against a quality, well coached, opponent on the road.  I thought Shaka made a great adjustment at halftime with the offense.  The first half offense was pretty reliant on Kolek's dribble, drive, and dish and didn't seem to get into a good flow or create many open looks.  In the second half they played more through Igoudala with either a high pick-and-roll or fed him in the high post.  This seemed to open up the offense more for good looks at the basket and they capitalized.  They also turned up the defensive intensity in the second half.

2 hours ago, patrickgpe said:

ESPN still has MU as a 3 in todays update, 

Going to be pretty darn difficult for them to get on the #2 seed line without winning their last two games and then win the conference tourney, if that is truly where they are at this point. CBS slots them in as the top #2 seed...that seems really bullish though.

3 minutes ago, MrTPlush said:

Going to be pretty darn difficult for them to get on the #2 seed line without winning their last two games and then win the conference tourney, if that is truly where they are at this point. CBS slots them in as the top #2 seed...that seems really bullish though

obviously a loss to butler or st johns would look really bad. Also a loss to a team not named Xavier, UCONN, Providence or Creighton in the tournament would hurt. If they avoid that, I think they have a chance to be a 2. It really doesn't matter much though other than for pride.