Brewer Fanatic

Sal Frelick.......

1 hour ago, wibadgers23 said:

Frelick with another homerun tonight. The Sounds are in Louisville this week and is only about a 2 hour drive to Cincinnati. Just sayin.

I mean, why not?  With Philly playing mediocre ball they still have a chance at the playoffs.

At this point there is no way he gets enough ABs to jeopardize his rookie status for next year right?

He is also a huge upgrade defensively in LF and his approach at the plate makes him much less likely to struggle as Mitchell has to this point. Even if he doesn’t hit a ton he will get on base at a decent clip IMO

I just posted this on the minor league forum, but I thought I'd posit it here...

I just have this feeling that Frelick will be like a left-handed Craig Biggio. Obviously, everyone here is dreaming that Chourio becomes Acuna 2.0, while cautiously believing in Wiemer/Ruiz/Mitchell/Turang/Quero, but for my money, I'm betting on Frelick.

I truly dislike the phrase, "it factor," (ugh, just typing it bothers me), but I believe Frelick has "it". I think his modest power will be an afterthought in what will be a great MLB career.

3 hours ago, Playing Catch said:

I just posted this on the minor league forum, but I thought I'd posit it here...

I just have this feeling that Frelick will be like a left-handed Craig Biggio. Obviously, everyone here is dreaming that Chourio becomes Acuna 2.0, while cautiously believing in Wiemer/Ruiz/Mitchell/Turang/Quero, but for my money, I'm betting on Frelick.

I truly dislike the phrase, "it factor," (ugh, just typing it bothers me), but I believe Frelick has "it". I think his modest power will be an afterthought in what will be a great MLB career.

Based on the few games I saw of him this year I would say “it” equals confidence. He just seems to dig in at the plate and expects to get a hit no matter who he’s facing. 

Another comp I’ve seen posted here a few times is Benitendi

16 minutes ago, RedStickBrew said:

Based on the few games I saw of him this year I would say “it” equals confidence. He just seems to dig in at the plate and expects to get a hit no matter who he’s facing. 

Another comp I’ve seen posted here a few times is Benitendi

Benintendi is certainly a more responsible comp.

2 minutes ago, Playing Catch said:

Benintendi is certainly a more responsible comp.

Steven Kwan (rookie in Cleveland) is another comp. He's having a great rookie year. Slashing .298/.374/.397. 124 wRC+, 9% K-rate, 11 OAA in LF, 3.9 fWAR. Kwan probably a bit better than Frelick but they are pretty comparable.

Frelick's "it factor" seems to be that he has a good eye at the plate and knows how to make good contact. That used to be something front offices looked for, but has gone out of favor due to the new-found love of "launch angle." I like that the Brewers seem to be looking for "bat to ball" guys, as I think the love for launch angle is overdone.

If Yelich has permanently turned into an OBP guy, then having him and Frelick at the top of the order with some power guys behind them should be a good thing.

He and Mitchell are different players, as I think Mitchell has more power potential, but isn't quite as consistent at getting the bat on the ball. I'm excited for both of them, but since Frelick has been more consistent (and less injured) through his MiLB career, I also think that he should have been the guy called up. His OBP skills are really what this year's team could use.

• Like 1

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

22 minutes ago, yfinn6 said:

I hope that when Frelick is up that he's playing every day, even if he takes a few weeks to get up to speed with MLB pitching. His bat appears the most ready of our AAA guys. 

With only twelve games left in the season, I'm guessing that he won't be up until opening day 2023.

I hope that he and Mitchell will be regulars on the 2023 team, and due to the new draft pick compensation, I think they'll both be up on opening day. Of course, a lot will happen this offseason.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

4 hours ago, monty57 said:

With only twelve games left in the season, I'm guessing that he won't be up until opening day 2023.

I hope that he and Mitchell will be regulars on the 2023 team, and due to the new draft pick compensation, I think they'll both be up on opening day. Of course, a lot will happen this offseason.

Yeah, I wasn't insinuating that he'd be up this year. I was just referring to next season. 

17 hours ago, reillymcshane said:

Frelick's minor league career numbers: 

152 Games
630 ABs
118 Runs
208 Hits
13 HR
73 BB
88 K
.330 BA
.406 OBP
.882 OPS

That's a guy I want in this lineup. Still surprised they brought up Mitchell instead of Frelick. 

with how dramatically Yelich's defense appears to have fallen off, I kind of want to see him turn into this roster's primary DH next year and then have both Mitchell and Frelick up in Milwaukee to start next season.  Feels like Wiemer probably could use a bit more time in AAA, but he's not far off either.  Add Ruiz to the mix, who would make a perfect utility OF/pinch run option to a MLB roster, and the Brewers could get really young and really athletic in the OF for 2023.

Wouldn't surprise me to see some of these names included in an offseason trade or two, either.  I'd probably want to keep Frelick above all others - even though I'd be bummed seeing any of the young OFs dealt at this point.

If they trade one of the 4, I hope it's Ruiz.

We all sit around and make comments on what we need, and OF is almost never one of those needs, so look for the Brewers to add another outfielder or two this offseason, via trade, or aging vet that will completely screw up our youngsters getting playing time. (ala McCutchen)

I can already see it happeneing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hopper said:

We all sit around and make comments on what we need, and OF is almost never one of those needs, so look for the Brewers to add another outfielder or two this offseason, via trade, or aging vet that will completely screw up our youngsters getting playing time. (ala McCutchen)

That aging veteran to be signed for 2023 is the same one currently on the roster McCutchen. Everyone seems to think its a foregone cnclusion that he won't be back but I'm guessing he will be if Counsell is still managing this team. 

4 hours ago, brewers888 said:

That aging veteran to be signed for 2023 is the same one currently on the roster McCutchen. Everyone seems to think its a foregone cnclusion that he won't be back but I'm guessing he will be if Counsell is still managing this team. 

It would be the height of idiocy. I don't see it happening (barring a near-minimum deal).

5 hours ago, Hopper said:

If we do, we will call it Brinsoning him. 

35 minutes ago, reillymcshane said:

When Frelick comes to Milwaukee, he shouldn't be sitting. Here's his numbers for 2022:

BA: .324 vs lefties, .333 vs righties
OPS .875 vs L, .885 vs R

Almost no differences there. He hits everyone. So run the guy out there and let him play next year.

He will be in MKE on like 4/20/23. Somewheres about when he will have less than 1 year service time at the end of 2023.