Brewer Fanatic

Sal Frelick.......

1 hour ago, monty57 said:

Assuming a CF prospect is brought up, McCutcheon will get any starts in the corners when Yelich and Renfroe aren’t out there, so the 5th OF is not going to see much time. No sense accruing service time on a prospect in that role. 

Bring a prospect up to start, DFA Davis, and hold onto Taylor. This off-season, Stearns can sort out who he’s going to keep and who he’s going to trade to put together the ‘23 OF. 

You're talking what 35days or so accrued service time? These aren't 18-20year olds. Well past Super 2 line here.  McCutchen will be gone, Renfroe traded for all that matters. Best preview you can get before lousy Spring training previews is playing 2 with a future vs not. Heck you just might give a good preview for both Frelick and Ruiz that increases their trade value for this offseason. We're over here again debating on saving service time for what are likely 775-875OPS replaceable OFs.  They aren't guys who are going to bat 330 with 30+ HR power if even 20+ HR power.  What they possess is a 6-8year playing window hoping they remain healthy and stay relevant defensively.

11 minutes ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

You're talking what 35days or so accrued service time? These aren't 18-20year olds. Well past Super 2 line here.  McCutchen will be gone, Renfroe traded for all that matters. Best preview you can get before lousy Spring training previews is playing 2 with a future vs not. Heck you just might give a good preview for both Frelick and Ruiz that increases their trade value for this offseason. We're over here again debating on saving service time for what are likely 775-875OPS replaceable OFs.  They aren't guys who are going to bat 330 with 30+ HR power if even 20+ HR power.  What they possess is a 6-8year playing window hoping they remain healthy and stay relevant defensively.

I just don’t see a reason to bring a good prospect up and accrue service time just to sit on the bench. We’re not going to sit Renfroe, who has been one of the team’s best hitters. He might get traded this off-season, but he’s going to play nearly every day in September. So is Yelich. 

We have a need for a CF. We have three in AAA to choose from. Bring up one of them and let him play everyday. I have no problem with Taylor sitting on the bench, getting a start a week or so. Then we can flip him for a prospect this off-season. 

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

1 hour ago, monty57 said:

Assuming a CF prospect is brought up, McCutcheon will get any starts in the corners when Yelich and Renfroe aren’t out there, so the 5th OF is not going to see much time. No sense accruing service time on a prospect in that role. 

Bring a prospect up to start, DFA Davis, and hold onto Taylor. This off-season, Stearns can sort out who he’s going to keep and who he’s going to trade to put together the ‘23 OF. 

McCutchen isnt really a better option in LF or RF than Taylor. Their OPS has been similar all year, and Taylor has a huge advantage defensively. Also, Taylor has a future here, where McCutcheon is done. Keep Taylor involved even if he isn't starting in CF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

8 minutes ago, monty57 said:

I just don’t see a reason to bring a good prospect up and accrue service time just to sit on the bench. We’re not going to sit Renfroe, who has been one of the team’s best hitters. He might get traded this off-season, but he’s going to play nearly every day in September. So is Yelich. 

We have a need for a CF. We have three in AAA to choose from. Bring up one of them and let him play everyday. I have no problem with Taylor sitting on the bench, getting a start a week or so. Then we can flip him for a prospect this off-season. 

We have to…. Just have to try this. No down side.

40 minutes ago, Never Outhustled said:

McCutchen isnt really a better option in LF or RF than Taylor. Their OPS has been similar all year, and Taylor has a huge advantage defensively. Also, Taylor has a future here, where McCutcheon is done. Keep Taylor involved even if he isn't starting in CF.

Taylor doesn't have much of a future with the brewers unless their AAA prospects suck.

4 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

Taylor doesn't have much of a future with the brewers unless their AAA prospects suck.

He has a 738 career OPS. He's better than he's been this year. His 1.2 WAR this year sadly makes him one of the better players on the team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

2 minutes ago, Never Outhustled said:

He has a 738 career OPS. He's better than he's been this year. His 1.2 WAR this year sadly makes him one of the better players on the team.

I predict he will be traded for a bag of balls no later than June. Perhaps sooner.

1 hour ago, Robocaller said:

I predict he will be traded for a bag of balls no later than June. Perhaps sooner.

Non-tender all the way.  Gamel had better numbers and was non-tendered without his spot holding back four of the top five prospects and five of the top ten.  

With any luck, he won't also end up with the Pirates and hit .500 against us and .200 against everyone else.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shanedog19 said:

Frelick wasn’t in the lineup for Nashville tonight. Could tomorrow finally be the day?

I was wondering the same thing. On the one hand, it makes some sense due to the fact Chi threw a lefty today, and they therefore wanted to wait until Saturday. Flip side, that's dumb because there's no way Steele was going 7-8 innings, plus it just feels more likely they would've made the move on the off day.

Since Taylor mixed a HR in with his other bad 2-3 abs maybe they'll keep riding the solo-HR-and-K-train.

6 hours ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

I was wondering the same thing. On the one hand, it makes some sense due to the fact Chi threw a lefty today, and they therefore wanted to wait until Saturday. Flip side, that's dumb because there's no way Steele was going 7-8 innings, plus it just feels more likely they would've made the move on the off day.

Since Taylor mixed a HR in with his other bad 2-3 abs maybe they'll keep riding the solo-HR-and-K-train.

Cubs throw a lefty today too

On 8/26/2022 at 11:42 AM, brewcrewdue80 said:

If Frelick is still ahead of Mitchell in AAA OPS after 20 game sample vs Mitchell's 19game sample that makes Frelick still hotter?  Maybe your excitement is Mitchell hitting a HR finally so he's "hotter"

It's Mitchell that gets the call. I'm excited. 

I wonder if Davis had this "effusion" for several weeks, just waiting for what they deemed the proper time to make the move. Either way it's good to hear. 

Really astounding that you had these three OFs recently promoted to AAA & one acquired via trade, and all four are doing well now that Wiemer has apparently settled in.

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

Frelick is putting up some ridiculous numbers in Nashville and the sample size is not so small anymore.  It's really a shame he's not doing this in Milwaukee.  

Yeah, I don't understand how we can have a guy who could seriously help us out, but here.

Some strange decisions made this year, this is only one of them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Yeah, I don't understand how we can have a guy who could seriously help us out, but here.

Some strange decisions made this year, this is only one of them.

But what's the move? They could call him up and send down Mitchell. It appeared from the get-go that Frelick made more sense as a call-up, as Mitchell had been limited by injuries in the minors and Frelick seemed to pass him up on the depth chart, but they decided on Mitchell seemingly because he's a year older. Mitchell hasn't hit well since the call-up, so this might make sense, but it would burn an option. Hopefully that wouldn't matter, but it is a consideration.

Otherwise, I don't see where he and Mitchell can both get playing time, and I really don't want to call him up just to have a top prospect sitting the bench. The obvious move would be to have Yelich and Renfroe split time at DH, opening up a corner OF spot every day for a better defender. But, that would require the team to bench McCutchen, and that isn't going to happen. 

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

6 minutes ago, NBBrewFan said:

Just option Hiura.  They aren't going to play him anyways or if they do it will be one game a week where he doesn't get his playing legs and then they can point to his bad 5 AB and sit him for another week.

I agree that Hiura would be the guy that would likely go. Unfortunately, all that does is frees up a few PAs every week.

I think the only way Frelick and Mitchell get enough PAs to justify having them both on the MLB roster is to have Yelich and Renfroe split the DH duties. However, I don't see them moving McCutchen to the bench, especially if it's to give "unproven guys" like Frelick and Mitchell playing time.

~Bill Walsh

Not sure why there is so much loyalty to McCutchen. If they really want to try to have a better offense these last couple of weeks play Frelick at DH against Righties for his on base abilities and leave McCutchen in against lefties. McCutchen has stunk, he isn't magically going to turn it around. Hiura would be the guy to get optioned but they are not playing him much anyways.

2 minutes ago, Outlander said:

Not sure why there is so much loyalty to McCutchen. If they really want to try to have a better offense these last couple of weeks play Frelick at DH against Righties for his on base abilities and leave McCutchen in against lefties. McCutchen has stunk, he isn't magically going to turn it around. Hiura would be the guy to get optioned but they are not playing him much anyways.

McCutcheon (outside of Catching) is the worst player (non-pitcher) on the team.  While Mitchell has looked overmatched offensively he's put up 0.2 fWAR in 1/10th the AB of McCutcheon (0.4 fWAR).  At this point it is just insane that they are slotting McCutcheon in every day while we could have literally any other player as the DH and likely get better results.  If this team just misses the playoffs by 1 game I hope one writer covering the Brewers would expose their usage of McCutcheon, but that's as big a pipe dream as the Brewers winning a World Series.

15 minutes ago, monty57 said:

I agree that Hiura would be the guy that would likely go. Unfortunately, all that does is frees up a few PAs every week.

I think roster spot and playing time are separate issues.  I think Hiura is the roster spot and shutting down Mitchel (his season would likely end soon anyways if he was in AAA), plus give McCutcheon, Yelich and Renfroe one day off a week. Basically find the AB to start him in 5 or 6 games a week.