Brewer Fanatic

Sal Frelick.......

On 8/20/2022 at 11:50 AM, Oxy said:

For every day he spends in the majors this year, The Brewers will have to keep him in the minors NEXT year an equal amount of days PLUS an additional 2 weeks in order to "gain" another year of service time. 172 days on the active roster is one "year" of service time, and there are about 186 or so calendar days in a baseball season.  If he comes up September 1st, he will get something like 35 days of service time.  So if he has 136 days of service time NEXT year (basically keeping him in the minors for the first 50 days of the season (186-136)) his total service time at the end of next year would equal 171 days, just less than 1 year of service time, thus The Brewers would STILL control him for SIX additional full years.

So yes, every day the Brewers wait to bring him up make it easier to "gain" another year of control.

Pretty sure this is not how it works. If he has 5.2 years of service at the end of a season, we still have him (arbitration) for his 6th year.

30 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

Pretty sure this is not how it works. If he has 5.2 years of service at the end of a season, we still have him (arbitration) for his 6th year.

He is saying to keep him under a year of service at the end of 2023. If that is their mindset then yes they would have to keep him down longer in 2023 if they bring him up in 2022.

Nothing about these Brewer prospects aside from Chourio exudes manipulating team control for 1 more year of control. They are wall scrapers who you hope provide near .285-310 BA. Like was pointed out Frelick's hot streak are a whole lot of singles sprinkled with a few doubles. Turang and Mitchell are the same type. Don't expect that profile as up the middle defensive positions to avoid injuries to keep that expected production as they approach age 30.

Just a few more days.

1 hour ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

Nothing about these Brewer prospects aside from Chourio exudes manipulating team control for 1 more year of control. They are wall scrapers who you hope provide near .285-310 BA. Like was pointed out Frelick's hot streak are a whole lot of singles sprinkled with a few doubles. Turang and Mitchell are the same type. Don't expect that profile as up the middle defensive positions to avoid injuries to keep that expected production as they approach age 30.

Just a few more days.

Terrible take absolutely terrible lol

My hope is that Sal Frelick will join the Brewers before the Cubs series after they return to Milwaukee from LA

I appreciate Jonathan Davis & his defensive skills, but he has not proven to be “adequate” offensively … it is time to DFA him or send him to Nashville in lieu of Frelick

Tyrone Taylor could become a quality 4th OF & provide a power threat off the bench

Sal Frelick reminds me of a young Paul Molitor … an “ignitor” - who could provide a spark for this lineup to end the season & especially in 2023

So, if today is the day, it might line up with Brosseau having to leave the game last night and Peterson hopefully getting close to ready to return.

They'd be short-handed in the infield until Peterson's return, but they could put Brosseau on the IL and call up Frelick. Then Peterson can replace one of the backup OFs when he's back. I guess it really depends on when Peterson is going to be ready. They wouldn't want to have Yelich, Frelick, Renfroe, Davis, Taylor, and McCutcheon all on the roster for too long.

That brings up another point. Is it for sure that Davis will be the OF who goes, or is there a chance Taylor is the odd man out? With Hiura's play, McCutcheon will probably be getting some of his reps as the primary backup corner OF, so Taylor/Davis is really only on the roster as the backup CF, where Davis is clearly the better defender. Offensively, neither has been very good, but Davis gets on base (.349 OBP), he just doesn't have any power, while Taylor has been another "low OBP/high SLG" guy that the Brewers have too many of at the moment.

I'd expect them to hold on to Taylor, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if Davis stays on the MLB team and Taylor is optioned to AAA. Someone with more knowledge of roster moves can correct me if Taylor is out of options, but he's still pre-arby, so I hope he could be sent to AAA if that's the decision.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

2 hours ago, Outlander said:

Taylor is now out of options and don't think they would DFA him over Davis. Taylor has been a disappointment this season but still a good 4th outfielder if that is his role.

Thanks. I agree, if he's out of options they'll hang onto him. He can help them for a few more years as a 4th OF if necessary.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Regarding Frelick, as exciting as it would be to replace Taylor against RHP, Frelick probably isn't going to be a superstar player. He has basically 10 hr power maybe, that profile doesn't become an all-star too often. And it remains to be seen if he'll be able to barrel up MLB pitching at the same rate(with a slight dropoff) as AAA pitching. Facing guys like Lindblom is a lot different than facing Gonsolin or Stroman. I also fully expect he'll start his career here batting 9th.

13 hours ago, Neazy32 said:

Terrible take absolutely terrible lol

Read

1 hour ago, KeithStone53151 said:

Regarding Frelick, as exciting as it would be to replace Taylor against RHP, Frelick probably isn't going to be a superstar player. He has basically 10 hr power maybe, that profile doesn't become an all-star too often. And it remains to be seen if he'll be able to barrel up MLB pitching at the same rate(with a slight dropoff) as AAA pitching. Facing guys like Lindblom is a lot different than facing Gonsolin or Stroman. I also fully expect he'll start his career here batting 9th.

Frelick, Turang, and Mitchell I suggest my opinion because let's put their slash lines out there for projections. Add age 22-23 today. 7 seasons manipulated control is age 30.

Look at their slugging to BA and it's a .125-145 consistency difference. You hope again 280-310BA. This is a slg range from 400-450.  Add OB factors that will probably range 325-375.you are putting out there 725-825 OPS likelihood.  That is a line you'll live with while looking for a Chourio or Wiemer type prospect who can be a 275 guy at 500 slg. Slugging that pitching will work around that increases the OB. So an 850-900 OPS potential.

We've basically drafted 3 straight 725-825 1st rd players. You'll have 7 years to draft more of this up the middle type. They are a frequent player in every draft. Replaceable.  So not a need to manipulate team control.

24 minutes ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

Frelick, Turang, and Mitchell I suggest my opinion because let's put their slash lines out there for projections. Add age 22-23 today. 7 seasons manipulated control is age 30.

Look at their slugging to BA and it's a .125-145 consistency difference. You hope again 280-310BA. This is a slg range from 400-450.  Add OB factors that will probably range 325-375.you are putting out there 725-825 OPS likelihood.  That is a line you'll live with while looking for a Chourio or Wiemer type prospect who can be a 275 guy at 500 slg. Slugging that pitching will work around that increases the OB. So an 850-900 OPS potential.

We've basically drafted 3 straight 725-825 1st rd players. You'll have 7 years to draft more of this up the middle type. They are a frequent player in every draft. Replaceable.  So not a need to manipulate team control.

I'm not sure it's fair to include Mitchell in that group. Frelick/Turang don't have much raw power, so projecting power gains wouldn't be wise. Mitchell however does have a fair amount of raw power that could be tapped into in the future. He doesn't project like the other two.

Also at this point, we're like 2 days away. They've come this far, might as well commit for 1-2 more days.

21 hours ago, Robocaller said:

Huh? That's exactly what I am saying. Also, in this context, 5.2 years of service would mean 5 years and 2 days. I'm saying that if he is at 5.171 after a year, we also still have him for his 6th year of service.  As soon as he hits 6 years of service, he will become a FA after that season.  In order to maximize the impact he has for the Brewers it would best if he crosses that threshold in April or May of a season rather than in August or September.  Again, basically we want him to have less than 1 year of service time at the end of next season.

29 minutes ago, Oxy said:

Huh? That's exactly what I am saying. Also, in this context, 5.2 years of service would mean 5 years and 2 days. I'm saying that if he is at 5.171 after a year, we also still have him for his 6th year of service.  As soon as he hits 6 years of service, he will become a FA after that season.  In order to maximize the impact he has for the Brewers it would best if he crosses that threshold in April or May of a season rather than in August or September.  Again, basically we want him to have less than 1 year of service time at the end of next season.

Anything can happen, but if he gets called up and plays well during his time in the MLB this year, I'd bet that he'll be the opening day starting CF next year so that they can get a draft pick if he ends up in the top three vote getters for Rookie of the Year next year.

If he comes up and lays an egg, then they'll be justified in keeping him down to start 2023, but I don't think that's what they're hoping for.

The addition of the draft pick compensation was instituted to stop teams from doing what you're saying, and I think the Brewers will probably opt for the potential draft pick in Frelick's case.

• Like 1

~Bill Walsh

26 minutes ago, monty57 said:

Anything can happen, but if he gets called up and plays well during his time in the MLB this year, I'd bet that he'll be the opening day starting CF next year so that they can get a draft pick if he ends up in the top three vote getters for Rookie of the Year next year.

If he comes up and lays an egg, then they'll be justified in keeping him down to start 2023, but I don't think that's what they're hoping for.

The addition of the draft pick compensation was instituted to stop teams from doing what you're saying, and I think the Brewers will probably opt for the potential draft pick in Frelick's case.

I did not know about the draft pick compensation for ROY types but I like it. Not sure Frelick is that type of prospect with his lack of power but I like the incentives to allow major league ready prospects into the majors so they can hit free agency before age 30.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

7 minutes ago, Thurston Fluff said:

I did not know about the draft pick compensation for ROY types but I like it. Not sure Frelick is that type of prospect with his lack of power but I like the incentives to allow major league ready prospects into the majors so they can hit free agency before age 30.

Yeah, I'm sure different teams will handle their situations differently, but I like that they came up with some kind of compromise to get players to the majors faster. I'd hate to have to sit through two months of some Taylor/Davis-type combo next year just because we didn't want to bring a better player up too quickly.

I'm excited to see what Frelick brings to the table, in large part because the Brewers have so many low OBP/high SLG guys on the roster. A guy who makes good contact, gets on base, and plays good defense will be a nice addition. Plus, every guy we have playing for league minimum helps the team keep some of the higher-priced players.

• Like 2

~Bill Walsh

22 hours ago, Outlander said:

He is saying to keep him under a year of service at the end of 2023. If that is their mindset then yes they would have to keep him down longer in 2023 if they bring him up in 2022.

But I don't think that's their intention. If their intention is as reported, it's only to assure he still qualifies as a rookie next year. They control his ABs (or is it PA?) so they can keep him under 130.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
On 8/22/2022 at 1:39 PM, Mass Haas said:

Glowing remarks from Sounds manager Rick Sweet HERE in this week's post-series (Jacksonville road sereis) pod with manager Rick Sweet (includes comments re: Brice Turang at 3B and 2B). He elaborates on LaBouef's hockey remarks. If you want it from the proverbial horse's mouth, check it out. These interviews are always awesome. This weeks is a quick 5 min 41 sec nugget.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KeithStone53151 said:

I'm not sure it's fair to include Mitchell in that group. Frelick/Turang don't have much raw power, so projecting power gains wouldn't be wise. Mitchell however does have a fair amount of raw power that could be tapped into in the future. He doesn't project like the other two.

Also at this point, we're like 2 days away. They've come this far, might as well commit for 1-2 more days.

Until proven otherwise Mitchell fits exactly that type of OF.  He has 22HRs in 1244PAs beyond high school.  He's 23 turning 24 Sept. 4th.  So he already stands at post age 30 team control.  Controlled through his prime and rid yourself post age 30.  The moment he shows actual game power is the moment you consider an extension of 1 or 2 years past 30, no more. 

All 3 of these guys could come up and struggle to put together a .235-250 season.  That's an under 400 slg and likely barely above .310-333 OB.  OPS under 735 is replacement level stuff.  Super glad they kept the player down to maintain team control.  That kind of stuff is seeing them optioned down during that season where you can manipulate if you really feel the need to keep these players in to their age 31 or 32 seasons.

19 minutes ago, YelichPosse said:

Do we believe this team is smart enough to bring him up tomorrow? Or are we good just playing on like the band on the sinking titanic?

I honestly don't know.  The Brewers have called up prospects early so this would not be unprecedented.  I hope so, because no one is blocking him at the majors.  He has just destroyed the minors and only seems to be getting better as he gets promoted.

• Like 1