Brewer Fanatic

Article: Brewers Minor League Link Report (8/16): Houser's Rehab Outing Fails to Impress While the Shuckers Inch Closer to the Biscuits

Joseph Zarr

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Carolina was the Brewers lone full-season affiliate starting a home series - Wisconsin, Biloxi, and Nashville all took to the road. Results were mixed. The DSL Brewers 1 continued their recent skid of losing while the DSL Brewers 2 managed a classic DSL victory against all odds. Both ACL teams managed to pull out victories - one in dominant fashion and one on a walk-off ninth inning blast - as recent draftees and young prospects continue to make their mark. Let's get to the reports!

Transactions:  Lots of exciting movement and action today - promotions, first placements, and rehabs

• RHP Logan Henderson was officially assigned to Low-A Carolina from High-A Wisconsin. This is actually a promotion (he had been successfully rehabbing in the ACL) into his first full-time assignment in the organization
  • RHP Stiven Cruz has been promoted from Low-A Carolina to High-A Wisconsin
  • 3B Zavier Warren has been promoted to Double-A Biloxi from High-A Wisconsin 
  • RHP Yujanyer Herrera becomes the Mudcats youngest pitcher - he's been promoted to Low-A Carolina from the ACL Brewers Blue.
  • RHP Trevor Rosenthal and C Omar Narvaez were sent on rehab assignments to Triple-A Nashville
  • C Alex Jackson was retroactively placed on the 7-Day IL by the Nashville Sounds (retroactive to August 14th)
  • RHP Shane Smith was sent on a rehab assignment to the ACL Brewers Gold - this is actually Smith's first official action for the Brewers organization since his signing in 2021
  • 1B Ernesto Martinez (who had been rehabbing in the ACL) has been activated from the 60-Day IL by the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
  • INF Ashton McGee has been retroactively placed (August 14th) on the 7-Day IL
  • 1B/3B Tyler White was traded by the Brewers from the Nashville Sounds to the Atlanta Braves 

And, real quickly, we have some more publicity for two of the Brewers fastest rising prospects in OF Sal Frelick and OF Jackson Chourio:

Nashville Pre-Game Media Notes     

Final: Jacksonville (Marlins) 12, Nashville 1
Box Score / Game Log                           

Via the Sounds' site, game details, please visit and review:

Sounds Thumped in Jacksonville - Nashville Loses Third Straight - Falls to 66-45

The Sounds took to the road on Tuesday to start their 13 day and 12 game road trip in Jacksonville. Brewers RHP Adrian Houser was looking to execute in what was earlier rumored to be his last rehab start. After his evening scuffling on the mound, he may want some more work. He struggled through the first couple innings - including three runs across in the first - where his worst enemy was the free pass. I don't know what it is in 2022, but Houser certainly isn't his sharpest self. Two unearned runs (in five total) doesn't really atone for five hits and three free passes in a mere 3 1/3 IP. Hopefully, he turns it around. 

Three Quick Strikes:

1) It was a "Hey Lipka, warm up the Jets!" kind of night in Jacksonville. The recently re-acquired outfielder tossed a 1 H, 1 HR, 1 ER ninth inning to close this ugly evening out for the Sounds. When the position players take the hill, it's rarely a good thing. Entertaining for the winning crowd? Sure. But, never an exciting affair for the losing team. Tonight, the Sounds saw their teammate literally take one for the team.

2) All was not lost offensively, despite the one run crossing home plate. The Sounds still managed nine hits on the evening - though, eight of these were singles. OF Garrett Mitchell continued his surge at the plate with a 2-for-4 evening including his second double in Triple-A (and the lone Sounds XBH). Omar Narvaez saw a successful rehab outing with a 2-for-4 evening batting second. And, 3B Weston Wilson hit 2-for-4 with the lone Sounds RBI.

3) Is it time to 'worry' about LHP Andy Otero? I don't know. What I can tell you is in seven outings covering July and August (13 IP) he has surrendered 20 H, 4 BB, 8 ER, with a mere 6 K. That type of output isn't going to bode well as the difficulty increases if he moves up for a stab at Major League hitters over time. Otero lacks any type of top-end velocity - he relies on location and effectively mixing his off-speed arsenal with a rising low-velocity heater. There is quite a bit to prove to himself, the Brewers, and other clubs as he looks to close out this 2022 season. Otero has had periods of success this season no doubt, but there are question marks abound. He'll be a Minor League FA after the season ends. 

Biloxi Pre-Game Media Notes   

Final:   Biloxi  5,  Montgomery (Rays) 3
Box Score / Game Log                                            

Via the Shuckers' site, game details, please visit and review:

Steady Offense and Shutdown Bullpen Guides Shuckers to 5-3 Win - Warren Collects First Double-A Hit, RBI

Coming into this Montgomery series (in Montgomery), the Shuckers were 2-16 at Montgomery over their past 18 knocks. Ummmm, that's not good. Coming into this game, the Biscuits hadn't lost a full nine-inning tilt in the month of August. The Shuckers were outhit tonight 10-8, but they weren't outdone. We'll thank the bullpen for their combined 5 1/3 IP, 6 H, 0 BB, 5 K (should have been 6 - cough), 1 R. This was a good one. Dare I say it: the Shuckers are playing fine baseball of late. I already want to take it back. Gulp.

Three Quick Strikes:

1) I talked about INF/OF Felix Valerio during my last report and, lo and behold, he smacked a two-run jack tonight. You can only go so long making the kind of contact he's been making before results start to rear their head. I again encourage deviating from box score gleaning and trusting what I see: he's roping balls. He's struck out a mere four times to three walks in August. The results will come. This contact has been regular of late - the results simply have not. It's that simple:

2) He may be in Double-A, but let's not pretend RHP Cam Robinson isn't lights out still. It doesn't matter if the home plate umpire blows a clear third strike call on his lead-off batter (and, boy, was it a dead middle whiff from back behind the catcher - yikes). He'll stab a hard hit ground for out number one. No matter if a broken bat flare is plopped between Valerio and Whitley into right field. Robinson will hunker down and induce the game-ending double play ball to newly christened 1B all-star, Zavier Warren. Robinson sealed the deal and merely the third Shuckers win in Montgomery over the past 19 games. They moved within four games of the first place Biscuits. Here's the aforementioned zesty double play to close the game: 

Special mention will also go to winning pitcher, RHP Kent Hasler, who continues to impress since scuffling when first promoted. He's been generally lights out of late and he deserves recognition.

3) Kudos are definitely due to OF Garrett Whitley and his continued output since his re-assignment. After receiving Southern League Player of the Week honors, he backed that up with a 2-for-4 night, 2 R, 2 SB, and an OF assist. It's hard to toot a horn loud enough for the work we're seeing from CF Corey Ray, INF Andruw Monasterio, and, now, OF Garrett Whitley in Biloxi. The oft-used phrasing 'consummate professionals' comes to mind. Mr. Whitely, I see you and I salute you. I wish you continued excellence. It's been a true joy to witness.

Wisconsin Pre-Game Media Notes     

Final: Cedar Rapids (Twins) 7, Wisconsin 2
Box Score/Game Log                             

Via the Timber Rattlers' site, game details, please visit and review:

Kernels Hold Rattlers in Check - Wisconsin has Four Hits in 7-2 Loss at Cedar Rapids

RHP Justin Jarvis continues to face the classic youthful obstacles in his path to the truly christened Ace of the Timber Rattlers staff. I've seen him have great success in 2022. And, then again, I've seen him give up three-run home runs to put his team behind the eight-ball like he did tonight. 

Three Quick Strikes:

1) Here's a possibly controversial take: OF Jackson Chourio is absolutely incredible but I have a difficult time believing his future is in center field. When we have speedsters like Sal Frelick, Garrett Mitchell, Esteury Ruiz, and Joey Wiemer currently slotted above the young stud, and I see what I consistently see when the ball leaves his young arm, I'm left wondering if he isn't misplaced at present. The hit tool is obviously electric - I would never question this. But, the speed, though it's good, isn't otherworldly and the arm is, honestly, more akin to a second baseman's arm. That's my take. Change my mind.

2) RHP Tyler Gillies looks like a different pitcher in the late 2022 season. How about three strikeouts in his first inning - three dazzling K's mind you. He's seen limited time in 2022 coming off his cancer treatments, but, folks, he's getting stronger and more impactful. His fastball and leg kick have a nice marriage and he is mixing in some nice off-speed stuff. I'm looking for even better things to close out his 2022 comeback season. He's moving further and further away from a feel good story into a legitimate bullpen piece. The two-run home run jack aside, I'm keeping with these sentiments. It was a nice swing on a slightly hung inside breaking ball to a 2022 first rounder and potent lefty. He finished with 5 K in 2 IP. That's wonderful work - the home run jack aside. You be the judge:

3) The T-Rats staff and tantalizing catching prospect Jeferson Quero allowed six successful stolen bases on the evening. That was a 6-for-6 effort overall. Having seen Quero throw runners out quite consistently before tonight, I honestly give the Kernels massive credit for incredible timing - on both their get-offs and the pitch selection. There was very little opportunity for Quero though a couple of the attempts were quite close. Let's see how this dust settles through the rest of the series. Regardless of the how and why, this isn't a night Quero will consider a feather in his illustrious defensive cap.

Carolina Pre-Game Notes               

Final:  Carolina 6, Fayetteville (Astros) 0

Box Score / Game Log                          

Via the Mudcats' site, game details, please visit and review:

Carolina Cruises to 6-0 Victory with Six Run Second - Pitchers Logan Henderson, Pablo Garabitos, and Brannon Jordan Stifled the Fayetteville Offense in Carolina's Series Opening Victory

Give me a moment, please, I'm still finding my way out of the by-line. I eagerly tuned in to view RHP Logan Henderson's first start at Low-A Carolina. He worked around an opposite field rope to the right field wall and a wild pitch in the first inning, but he ultimately finished with the single knock and 2 K - he never felt remotely threatened. He then surrendered a broken bat flare to shallow right center field in the second inning, but saw the threat end when Hedbert Perez laid out and made a nice catch in right field. The breaking balls were completely wild tonight - they were way outside and high or, well, in the dirt. It was simply one of those evenings. However, the fastball was dialed and the change-up was effective. All in all, this was a very successful first outing for the young man and something we should be excited about. I'll continue to tune in and monitor his progress.

Three Quick Strikes:

1) Jace Avina hitting at Five County? We call it 'Choice'. He must love his new home ballpark. He came in to tonight's contest hitting a ripe 0.444 at Five County. Well, through two innings that average went UP. He roped a double over the third baseman in the first inning and followed with an absolutely crushed grand slam over the wall in deep right center. Whewwww. It was a sight to behold. He was dialed in and swinging freely. Those are not short walls in Five County whatsoever, mind you.

2) In a recent insightful article by our very own @Mass HaasHERE, we see young catcher Jose Sibrian is up for Minor League free agency after the 2022 season. Well, if his recent run of play is any indication I can near guarantee you the Brewers brass want to keep this young man in the catching stable. He's been one of, in not the, hottest hitters on the young and talented Mudcats roster of late. If we consider August as a whole - 0.304 BA, 0.838 OPS entering tonight's contest before he ripped a double to deep right center - one sees what I see: this is a very talented young catcher. The Brewers garner a lot of attention for their acquisitions of middle infield and center field prospects. I'm here to tell you: I challenge anyone to name an organization with more catching depth - especially considering the additions after the 2022 draft.

3) LHP Pablo Garabitos doesn't wow you with velocity - he is a finesse pitcher by every measure. But, he certainly impresses with his mix and his efficacy. After another scoreless and clean multiple-inning outing (5 IP, 4 H, 0 BB, 6 K), Garabitos grabbed the win and saw his 2022 record move to 4-0. He has pushed an already impressive August into promotional consideration status: 16K:2BB after tonight. 15 2/3 IP over four outings, 12 H, 2 BB, 16 K, 2 ER. That's really fine relief work at Low-A. This builds on an already impressive 2022 resume overall. Let's hope he continues to shine as a workhorse out of the pen.

ACL Brewers Gold 4, ACL Guardians 3
Box Score / Game Log

Well, it certainly seems like it was a night to remember for previously struggling 19-year-old Venezuelan OF'er Diego Larez. He completes his evening (1-for-2, 2 R, 1 RBI, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HR) with a one out, 0-2 count, ninth inning walk-off blast to left center field giving the Gold the 'W'. Electric. 2021 mid-summer signee and Wake Forest alum, RHP Shane Smith, got his first action for the Brewers with a clean opening frame while shaking off some rust - 2 H, 1 BB, 1 K. Smith was followed by continually dominant 2022 11th Rd draftee (Eastern Michigan), RHP Cameron Wagoner, and his 3 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 3 K of work. Wagoner is definitely one to notice in the early going. INF Gregory Barrios continued his run of offensive output going 2-for-3 with 1 R and 1 RBI. Over his last three contests, Barrios is a combined 6-for-11 with a double. 

ACL Brewers Blue 10, ACL Athletics 4
Box Score / Game Log

This one was over early when the ACL Brewers Blue put up a seven-spot in the top of the first. That's the kind of run support we can all get behind. Offensive game balls go to 2022 draftee 1B/C Tayden Hall (2-for-5, 2R), 18-year-old Venezuelan C Jason Ollarve (3-for-5, 1 R, 3 RBI, 2 K), and 2B Jamal Zalm (2-for-4, 1 R, 3 RBI, 2 K, 1 3B). On the pitching side of things, 2022 UDFA signings RHP's Ryan Brady and Jonathan Beymer pitched a combined 3 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, and 5 K to get the game started in shut down fashion. RHP Quinton Low pitched another scorless inning (0 H, 0 BB, 1 K). And, 19-year-old RHP Samuel Dario closed it out with a clean and scoreless, 1 K, ninth frame. 

DSL Tigers 9, DSL Brewers #1 1
Box Score / Game Log

From last week's failed make-up on the 11th, we offer you a glimpse through the Minor League Report 'Looking Glass':

If the league does schedule a makeup, it'll be Tuesday August 16th, the only game remaining between these two teams, though that game is at the Tigers complex. We'll see, as we're sure you'll all set your calendars to see if the Brewers can avoid the seven-inning no-hitter, which actually wouldn't qualify as a no-no under big-league guidelines.

Well, sheeesh, too bad we couldn't offer you a prop bet. None the less, the no-hitter was broken up but the result certainly didn't change. The Brewers Uno did manage to pull within 4-1 in the bottom of the sixth on a wild pitch and, well, they graciously gave back a five-spot in the final seventh frame. Those runs were charged to 18-year-old RHP Leonardo Rivera who had actually allowed a mere three earned runs in his past five outings. The young men will want to quickly move on from this one.

DSL Tigers 5, DSL Brewers #1 2
Box Score / Game Log

After weeks of admirably fighting to stay 8-10 games under 0.500, it would appear the Brewers Uno are seeing things slip away as of late. In the second game of their day, the Brewers Uno fell yet again to the Tigers. The closest the youngsters would come is when they plated a run in the top of the fourth inning to pull within 2-1 when a Jose Pena sac fly to left field plated Jhonny Severino. Pena later knocked in the second and final run on a ground out. Ultimately, the Uno wound up 0-for-8 with RISP and were out-hit 11-4. Going 0-for-3 on his day with a walk, OF Luis Lara saw his OPS dip below 0.700 to 0.698 as his ongoing slump continued.

DSL Brewers #2 6, DSL Cubs Red 3
Box Score / Game Log

Hey, it's a DSL Brewers victory - they've been in short supply of late. Let's give kudos where they're due: wild pitches, walks, errors and balks...oh my! In a classic DSL result, the DSL Brewers went 0-for-13 with RISP and hit zero long balls. But, they were the recipients of sloppy Cubs play and ultimately left the contest with a 'W'. Lefty Anfernny Reyes appears to have had a sloppy day on the hill tho he did manage to limit some damage with two pick-offs: 4 2/3 IP, 7 H, 6 BB, 3K, 3 ER. Lefty David Dominguez and righty closer Nelson Cuevas continued their fantastic Augusts combining for 4 2/3 IP of 2 H, 6 K, 0 R ball. Of brief note offensively, INF Johan Barrios went 2-for-4 with 1 K on the day (0.298 BA, 0.730 OPS in 104 AB in 2022), C Brayan Oropeza logged the lone XBH - his 3rd double of the summer - and went 1-for-3 with 1 BB and 1 K (0.213 BA, 0.735 OPS in 75 AB in 2022), and OF Reminton Batista logged his 16th stolen base of his summer.   

Stay tuned tommorrow as the DSL Brewers take to the diamond in the morning hours. We'll see RHP Josh Lindbolm try to stack success coming off his last dominant start - the Sounds will look to even things up in Jacksonville. LHP Brandon Knarr will attempt to re-discover his earlier form and RHP Carlos Rodriguez will look to build off a dominant home outing versus South Bend his last time on the hill. At publish time, Carolina's starter is yet to be announced. As always, thanks for reading!

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

Standings and sortable stat pages

Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Batting Stats and Depth

Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Pitching Stats and Depth

View full article

• Like 1

Hmm, Chourio not a centerfielder, eh? I know that, on the other hand, Esteury Ruiz wasn't initially projected as a CF but has sort of played his way upward into that role, which is good, and of course he's probably the fastest position player that a Brewers fan who follows the minor leagues to any extent can name. Of course, speed isn't everything in CF; how's Chourio on jumps and tracking fly balls? Could he project as a sort of Whit Merrifield part-time CF, part-time 2B?

Meanwhile, Sam Dykstra has his newest MLB Top 100 prospects list up, and also McCalvy has an updated Brewers Top 30 prospects at mlb.com, I was interested to see that besides Chourio's newsworthy blastoff into the upper echelon (discussed often enough of late), Sal Frelick is now also considered a national Top 50 prospect on the rise by people outside Brewers media. McCalvy has him with top hit and run tools, but not so much fielding; Chourio ranks in fielding and speed. I don't want to get too optimistic but an outfield of Esteury/Jackson/Sal looks good in any alignment to me, really, although Sal probably plays the least CF if he plays any. And I haven't even mentioned Joey Weimer! And what if Garrett Mitchell can still put things together? It's almost an embarrassment of hypothetical outfield riches. Then again...

If you're still a prospect, you're still a suspect, too.

Hmm, Chourio not a centerfielder, eh? I know that, on the other hand, Esteury Ruiz wasn't initially projected as a CF but has sort of played his way upward into that role, which is good, and of course he's probably the fastest position player that a Brewers fan who follows the minor leagues to any extent can name. Of course, speed isn't everything in CF; how's Chourio on jumps and tracking fly balls? Could he project as a sort of Whit Merrifield part-time CF, part-time 2B?

Meanwhile, Sam Dykstra has his newest MLB Top 100 prospects list up, and also McCalvy has an updated Brewers Top 30 prospects at mlb.com, I was interested to see that besides Chourio's newsworthy blastoff into the upper echelon (discussed often enough of late), Sal Frelick is now also considered a national Top 50 prospect on the rise by people outside Brewers media. McCalvy has him with top hit and run tools, but not so much fielding; Chourio ranks in fielding and speed. I don't want to get too optimistic but an outfield of Esteury/Jackson/Sal looks good in any alignment to me, really, although Sal probably plays the least CF if he plays any. And I haven't even mentioned Joey Weimer! And what if Garrett Mitchell can still put things together? It's almost an embarrassment of hypothetical outfield riches. Then again...

2 hours ago, Nato_Coles said:

The conversation had recently was during the South Bend series between @sveumrulesand I - Sveum was at several contests (all of them?) and I watched nearly all of them. When you see a true CF’er like the Cubs’ Crow-Armstrong, you probably tend to be skewed in your observations. But, the difference is palpable. Watching the dribbler throw on a grounder into CF last night - a play in which Chourio simply didn’t have a chance - got me revisiting the thoughts. I would offer, if I were to rank the defensive prowess of these top prospects I would go:

Wiemer 
Mitchell
Frelick

Chourio
Ruiz

And, like I was saying in the Game Thread: Chourio is still just a spry 18 years old. If that hit tool continues to develop, you probably don’t care all that much as an organization but, at present, speaking realistically and outside the ongoing (deserved) hype: I’m unconvinced of his true position.

2 hours ago, Nato_Coles said:

The conversation had recently was during the South Bend series between @sveumrulesand I - Sveum was at several contests (all of them?) and I watched nearly all of them. When you see a true CF’er like the Cubs’ Crow-Armstrong, you probably tend to be skewed in your observations. But, the difference is palpable. Watching the dribbler throw on a grounder into CF last night - a play in which Chourio simply didn’t have a chance - got me revisiting the thoughts. I would offer, if I were to rank the defensive prowess of these top prospects I would go:

Wiemer 
Mitchell
Frelick

Chourio
Ruiz

And, like I was saying in the Game Thread: Chourio is still just a spry 18 years old. If that hit tool continues to develop, you probably don’t care all that much as an organization but, at present, speaking realistically and outside the ongoing (deserved) hype: I’m unconvinced of his true position.

41 minutes ago, Joseph Zarr said:

Wiemer 
Mitchell
Frelick

Chourio
Ruiz

Thanks for the on-the-ground observations. I appreciate them! Interesting that you'll go so far as to put that gap between Frelick and Chourio. I have no opinion either way, beyond what scouts and writers say. I'll be keeping an eye out regardless (made it to that Timber Rattlers game where they came back from down 7 to 0 and nearly won it, though - so I suppose I saw Chourio run a few down that night, although I had to leave to drive back to the Twin Cities before the rally).

41 minutes ago, Joseph Zarr said:

Wiemer 
Mitchell
Frelick

Chourio
Ruiz

Thanks for the on-the-ground observations. I appreciate them! Interesting that you'll go so far as to put that gap between Frelick and Chourio. I have no opinion either way, beyond what scouts and writers say. I'll be keeping an eye out regardless (made it to that Timber Rattlers game where they came back from down 7 to 0 and nearly won it, though - so I suppose I saw Chourio run a few down that night, although I had to leave to drive back to the Twin Cities before the rally).

This belongs here. You'll see a couple quick Logan Henderson highlights at the front touching on what I indicate above: heater and a sprinkled and effective change-up. You won't see his breaking ball which is anywhere but over the plate - dust off that rust, young man and try again next outing! You'll also see LHP Pablo Garabito's classic and effective location work. He is low velocity but crafty. Lots of off-speed stuff. 

This belongs here. You'll see a couple quick Logan Henderson highlights at the front touching on what I indicate above: heater and a sprinkled and effective change-up. You won't see his breaking ball which is anywhere but over the plate - dust off that rust, young man and try again next outing! You'll also see LHP Pablo Garabito's classic and effective location work. He is low velocity but crafty. Lots of off-speed stuff.