Brewer Fanatic

Top Pitching Prospects

wibadgers23

For excitement? Probably need to start at Wisconsin and lower outside of Small and Gasser. In AA, Knarr has put together a really nice season in AA and people like Castaneda more than I do but he is starting to find it again since coming back. Shook has been real solid. Nick Bennett stacking some good outings.

In Wisconsin 

In Wisconsin, Justin Jarvis, Carlos Rodriquez, and Cam Robinson are the 3 that excite me the most. Honestly, all three could realistically be the #4 pitcher in the system (Misiorowski with Small and Gasser)

Cam Robinson (22 years old) has been closing games and dominating at it with 2.70 xFIP, over 12k/9, and .160 baa . 

Justin Jarvis (22 years old) as of right now may be Brewers Pitcher of the Year. He has been their workhorse and has increased his stock drastically. After having to repeat Wisconsin he has shown big improvement. April can be rough in Wisconsin pitchers and Jarvis struggled (19.1ip, 19h, 20er, 12bb, 15k with 7.91era with 4/5 starts being ugly) but since start of May he has 17gs 91.1ip, 2.86 era, 73h, 29er, 34bb, 108k with 10.64 k/9 (28.5%) 3.35 bb/9 (9%), .213 baa, 1.17whip, 3.89FIP 

Carlos Rodriquez leads the way for the 20 year old arms with being the first in the group to be promoted to A+. If you remove his 6 innings in April (2 were brutal outings... 12 hits and 9 runs in 3 innings) his line is: 75.1ip, 46h, 20er, 31bb, 90k, 2.39 era for advance of 10.75k/9 (30.7%), 3.7 bb/9 (10.6%), .188 baa, 1.02 whip, and 3.91 FIP

-----------------------

Russell Smith (23 years old) is a high draft pick. He is steady but nothing really jumps out at you in the stat lines

Israel Puello (21 years old) is worth the follow. He was outstanding in Carolina and has track record of high k/9, low bb/9, solid FIP. He has not been impressive yet in but potential is there.

Karlos Morales (23 years olds) has been in the system since 2017 and last year he started to take good step forward and breakout a bit. He recently earned a promotion 

In Carolina 

Where it starts to get a lot tougher just based on amount of info on many of these guys. Usually with draft picks and bonus babies in the international market you get scouting reports and know a lot more about the guys. You rely heavily on just the stats. Brewers don't sign bonus baby pitchers so most info you get is size, age, and where they were born then hope for clips of them on BrewerPD, for them to crack a top 30 list with a write up, or maybe some to report what they say watching a game. 

With that said some of these kids look like must follows to get excited about! Led by the 20 year old crew! Alexander Cornielle, Stevin Cruz, less talked about Edwin Jimenez. 19 year old Jeison Pena hasn't really been stretched out yet this year (my guess is next season when he starts in A or A+) but flat out tormented rookie ball hitter before being promoted. There is some potential with 21yr old Jeferson Figueroa if he gets more command. Same for Miguel Segura who Brewers must like. He has struggled but also has been youngest pitcher on staff until Pena came up.  Pablos Garabitos started as a 2 way player after being draft but has focused on pitching since 1st season. He has been really solid. Michele Vassalotti who seem like he has been in system forever with high hopes has been probably the 2nd best closer in system behind Robinson. 

Ones to be most excited for

Alexander Cornielle is my number 1. Since start of May he's been great! 11.8k/9 (31.5%, 3.52 bb/9 (9.6%), 4.09FIP, 3.63 ERA, with baa of .212 and whip of 1.17. Basically outside of Will Dion of the Indians, Cornielle is arguably the 2nd best pitcher in Low East A ball. Needs to continue to improve command but a lot to like!

Stevin Cruz since coming up in Mid May has generated a bunch of helium amongst Brewer fans. Starting to get good amount of top 20 love. He ranks up K's at a 11.07 k/9 (29%) and most impressively has outstanding command! 2.24 bb/9 (5.9%) His biggest issue right now is he gets hit pretty good. A baa of .279 and has given up 13 HRs (1.62 per 9). 

Jeison Pena was promoted in early July and is being used out of the pen currently but think he will be stretched out next year to be workhorse similar to Cornielle, Jimenez, Cruz. He's pretty electric. As I said, he prior he tormented hitters in Arizona with 14.8 k/9 and only 2.16 bb/9 while only having baa of .206 and xFIP of 2.98. Since promotion, the command struggles from last year have resurfaced in A ball (16.3%) but K's are still at 29%, he still isn't getting hit much (.206 baa) and xFIP still 4.04. Needs to cut down walks but he is def a arm to watch going into next year!

Edwin Jimenez aka the forgot man. He was the 4th amigo among the 20 year olds when Rodriquez was here, now the third.  He was very successful last year in his DSL/AZ campaign 10.89 k/9 vs 2.84 bb/k, 3.80 xFIP. This season he has been okay. Nothing to get excited about on paper. He has has some flashes like a start on Aug. 4th. Then mix in the rough ones. He gets about a K an inning (8.74 k/9), keeps walks at solid amount (3.56 bb/9), gives up hits at okay amount (.247), Homeruns have been too many at 14 (1.35 per 9), and a xFIP of 4.56.

Of the pitchers in A ball and above (or recent picks) I'd rank them like this.

1. Jacob Misiorowski

2. Robert Gasser

3. Ethan Small

4. Carlos Rodriquez

5. Justin Jarvis

6. Alexander Cornielle

7. Cam Robinson

8. Stevin Cruz

9. Jeison Pena

10. Victor Castaneda

• Like 6

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Great write up, Jenkins.  I like some of our pitching prospects but I’d love to see us draft pitching hard the next couple of years.  This past year I wanted infielders with good hit tools and we came out with Brown, Moore, O’Rea, and Metzinger plus Wood at catcher.  I think we have an underrated system and we will look back at our system as a whole in ten years and say that this group produced a nice collection of legit talent.  Having said that, I like our position player depth better than pitching.  

I am very high on Gasser and Mis and cautiously optimistic about Jarvis, Cornielle and Castaneda.  Cam Robinson seems like the real deal for the pen.  Let’s see if he goes to the 40 man.   

But I’d like to see an emphasis on bringing pitchers in to balance things out.  

• Like 1

Tough to say level since they have missed most of the season, but toss the done for the season Abner Uribe with his absurd fastball and the rehabbing Logan Henderson in there as well. Of the guys likely to be in Carolina next season, the recently promoted Alexander Vallecillo, Yujanyer Herrera and Patricio Aquino (if healthy given his recent IL placement) seem the most interesting from a statistical perspective at least.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jenkins5 said:

For excitement? Probably need to start at Wisconsin and lower outside of Small and Gasser. In AA, Knarr has put together a really nice season in AA and people like Castaneda more than I do but he is starting to find it again since coming back. Shook has been real solid. Nick Bennett stacking some good outings.

In Wisconsin 

In Wisconsin, Justin Jarvis, Carlos Rodriquez, and Cam Robinson are the 3 that excite me the most. Honestly, all three could realistically be the #4 pitcher in the system (Misiorowski with Small and Gasser)

Cam Robinson (22 years old) has been closing games and dominating at it with 2.70 xFIP, over 12k/9, and .160 baa . 

Justin Jarvis (22 years old) as of right now may be Brewers Pitcher of the Year. He has been their workhorse and has increased his stock drastically. After having to repeat Wisconsin he has shown big improvement. April can be rough in Wisconsin pitchers and Jarvis struggled (19.1ip, 19h, 20er, 12bb, 15k with 7.91era with 4/5 starts being ugly) but since start of May he has 17gs 91.1ip, 2.86 era, 73h, 29er, 34bb, 108k with 10.64 k/9 (28.5%) 3.35 bb/9 (9%), .213 baa, 1.17whip, 3.89FIP 

Carlos Rodriquez leads the way for the 20 year old arms with being the first in the group to be promoted to A+. If you remove his 6 innings in April (2 were brutal outings... 12 hits and 9 runs in 3 innings) his line is: 75.1ip, 46h, 20er, 31bb, 90k, 2.39 era for advance of 10.75k/9 (30.7%), 3.7 bb/9 (10.6%), .188 baa, 1.02 whip, and 3.91 FIP

-----------------------

Russell Smith (23 years old) is a high draft pick. He is steady but nothing really jumps out at you in the stat lines

Israel Puello (21 years old) is worth the follow. He was outstanding in Carolina and has track record of high k/9, low bb/9, solid FIP. He has not been impressive yet in but potential is there.

Karlos Morales (23 years olds) has been in the system since 2017 and last year he started to take good step forward and breakout a bit. He recently earned a promotion 

In Carolina 

Where it starts to get a lot tougher just based on amount of info on many of these guys. Usually with draft picks and bonus babies in the international market you get scouting reports and know a lot more about the guys. You rely heavily on just the stats. Brewers don't sign bonus baby pitchers so most info you get is size, age, and where they were born then hope for clips of them on BrewerPD, for them to crack a top 30 list with a write up, or maybe some to report what they say watching a game. 

With that said some of these kids look like must follows to get excited about! Led by the 20 year old crew! Alexander Cornielle, Stevin Cruz, less talked about Edwin Jimenez. 19 year old Jeison Pena hasn't really been stretched out yet this year (my guess is next season when he starts in A or A+) but flat out tormented rookie ball hitter before being promoted. There is some potential with 21yr old Jeferson Figueroa if he gets more command. Same for Miguel Segura who Brewers must like. He has struggled but also has been youngest pitcher on staff until Pena came up.  Pablos Garabitos started as a 2 way player after being draft but has focused on pitching since 1st season. He has been really solid. Michele Vassalotti who seem like he has been in system forever with high hopes has been probably the 2nd best closer in system behind Robinson. 

Ones to be most excited for

Alexander Cornielle is my number 1. Since start of May he's been great! 11.8k/9 (31.5%, 3.52 bb/9 (9.6%), 4.09FIP, 3.63 ERA, with baa of .212 and whip of 1.17. Basically outside of Will Dion of the Indians, Cornielle is arguably the 2nd best pitcher in Low East A ball. Needs to continue to improve command but a lot to like!

Stevin Cruz since coming up in Mid May has generated a bunch of helium amongst Brewer fans. Starting to get good amount of top 20 love. He ranks up K's at a 11.07 k/9 (29%) and most impressively has outstanding command! 2.24 bb/9 (5.9%) His biggest issue right now is he gets hit pretty good. A baa of .279 and has given up 13 HRs (1.62 per 9). 

Jeison Pena was promoted in early July and is being used out of the pen currently but think he will be stretched out next year to be workhorse similar to Cornielle, Jimenez, Cruz. He's pretty electric. As I said, he prior he tormented hitters in Arizona with 14.8 k/9 and only 2.16 bb/9 while only having baa of .206 and xFIP of 2.98. Since promotion, the command struggles from last year have resurfaced in A ball (16.3%) but K's are still at 29%, he still isn't getting hit much (.206 baa) and xFIP still 4.04. Needs to cut down walks but he is def a arm to watch going into next year!

Edwin Jimenez aka the forgot man. He was the 4th amigo among the 20 year olds when Rodriquez was here, now the third.  He was very successful last year in his DSL/AZ campaign 10.89 k/9 vs 2.84 bb/k, 3.80 xFIP. This season he has been okay. Nothing to get excited about on paper. He has has some flashes like a start on Aug. 4th. Then mix in the rough ones. He gets about a K an inning (8.74 k/9), keeps walks at solid amount (3.56 bb/9), gives up hits at okay amount (.247), Homeruns have been too many at 14 (1.35 per 9), and a xFIP of 4.56.

Of the pitchers in A ball and above (or recent picks) I'd rank them like this.

1. Jacob Misiorowski

2. Robert Gasser

3. Ethan Small

4. Carlos Rodriquez

5. Justin Jarvis

6. Alexander Cornielle

7. Cam Robinson

8. Stevin Cruz

9. Jeison Pena

10. Victor Castaneda

Urible may slide in there anywhere? 103 and a potential plus slider COULD=Closer. I know he walks more than the Proclaimers, but...seems like the type of guy who could move pretty quick once he gets back IF he can get the walks down to just terrible instead ridiculously terrible. 

I also wish I could get what type of velo each guy has. It's hard to find with a lot of these guys or get an idea what their upside looks like.

BUT this looks like a really good list and I'm particularly excited about the top 2. 

39 minutes ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

Tough to say level since they have missed most of the season, but toss the done for the season Abner Uribe with his absurd fastball and the rehabbing Logan Henderson in there as well. Of the guys likely to be in Carolina next season, the recently promoted Alexander Vallecillo, Yujanyer Herrera and Patricio Aquino (if healthy given his recent IL placement) seem the most interesting from a statistical perspective at least.

I kind of forgot about Uribe and Henderson when going through. Uribe's arm is special if he can just get it over the plate with with some consistency. Sad he only got to pitch two games this year.  Glad to see Henderson back in action! 

Those are the three of the main guys I follow in Arizona as well. I have a thing for Jesus Rivero. If the pitching lab can get him at least to 4-5bb/9, he can really shoot up. Rakes up K's, very hard to hit. His walks are only thing in his way.  I'd like to see Quinton Low pitch more. Has been very good when he has. Gonzales and Galindez peak my interest. Galindez has some command issues but racks up the k's. Gonzales has good command and solid k numbers.  

Aquino is my favorite. His stuff MOVES! I really hope the 60 day placement isn't Tommy J or something else that will not let him start the year next year. 

Herrera is big and broad with real powerful arm and surprising command this season (huge jump!). Right now its more Wily Peralta power arm. Pretty hittable but room to continue to grow. 

Vallecillio I think is the safe bet for next year to be similar to Cruz and a workhorse for Carolina. He just seems like he is a good pitcher

• Like 2

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

4 hours ago, Jenkins5 said:

Herrera is big and broad with real powerful arm and surprising command this season (huge jump!). Right now its more Wily Peralta power arm. Pretty hittable but room to continue to grow. 

I love the whole post, all the information I can get on them. Unless or until they reach Appleton and I can drive up and catch some games, I am relying on stats and sporadic scouting reports.

BUT, as it pertains to Wily Peralta, that's a guy that I've wondered...what the hell would he have turned into if he'd have gone through the "pitching school" we currently have? A guy who could run it up there in the upper 90s with movement, a sinker that racked up the GBs and a nice slider? Seems like the type of guy the current regime is turning into a quality big league pitcher(in fact, I'd be more than happy to bring him back in free agency next year. I think he could be an ideal multi-inning reliever.

That's neither here nor there though. 

If they can harness Uribe's arm...well, I'll be impressed. 

A guy like Henderson can get you out. A guy like Uribe can helps win you playoff series. Power arms and just dominating hitters, that's so important in Oct/November. 

Here are my top 25 pitching prospects.  Pitch grades are from MLB.com and Fangraphs, where I could find them.  Pitch MPH is is in parenthesis and came from articles online.  That data could be inaccurate.  I have five prospects at the bottom that could move quickly up this list as they get more experience.

Pitcher Rank DOB Age 2022 Level Obtained FB SL CV CH OTHER Control
Robert Gasser 8 5/31/99 23.2 A+/AA Trade 55 55 - 55 - 50
Ethan Small 10 2/14/97 25.5 AAA/MLB Rnd 1 in 2019 55 45 45 60 - 50
Jacob Misiorowski 11 4/3/02 20.4 Arz Rnd 2 in 2022 70 55 - - - 45
Justin Jarvis 18 2/20/00 22.5 A+ Rnd 5 in 2018 (91-94)     ++    
Carlos Rodriguez 19 11/27/01 20.7 A/A+ Rnd 6 in 2021 55 45 - 55 - 50
Victor Castaneda 21 8/27/98 24.0 AA Latin 50 (92-94) - 45 x 60 (Splitter) 50
Brandon Knarr 22 6/2/98 24.2 A+/AA UDFA in 2020 (89-91) - x x -  
Stiven Cruz 24 11/14/01 20.8 A/A+ Latin (91-94) x x x -  
Abner Uribe 25 6/20/00 22.2 AA Latin 80 60 - 30 - 40
Alexander Cornielle 28 8/22/01 21.0 A Latin            
Cam Robinson 29 9/6/99 23.0 A+/AA Rnd 23 in 2017 55 - 55 - 45 (Cutter) 45
TJ Shook 30 5/29/98 24.2 A+/AA UDFA in 2020            
Russell Smith 32 9/10/98 23.9 A+ Rnd 2 in 2021 55 45 - 55 - 55
Ryne Moore 35 11/27/98 23.7 A/A+ Rnd 18 in 2021            
Edwin Jimenez 38 12/12/01 20.7 A Latin            
Lucas Erceg 40 5/1/95 27.3 AA/AAA Rnd 2 in 2016 (97-99)          
Max Lazar 42 6/3/99 23.2 A+ Rnd 11 in 2017 50 45 - 55 - 55
Peter Strzelecki 43 10/24/94 27.8 AAA/ML UDFA in 2018            
Nick Bennett 47 9/1/97 25.0 AA/AAA Rnd 6 in 2019 45 60 - 45 - 35
Michele Vassalotti 48 8/2/00 22.0 A Latin            
Logan Henderson 3/2/02 20.5 A Rnd 3 in 2021 50 - 50 60 - 55
Alexander Vallecillo 7/1/02 20.1 Arz/A Latin            
Jeison Pena 9/14/02 19.9 Arz/A Latin            
Kevin Briceno 10/15/02 19.8 DSL/Arz Latin            
Patricio Aquino 5/1/03 19.3 A Latin