Brewer Fanatic

The Nashville Five

Turang, Ruiz, Frelick, Wiemer and Mitchell

What do we think is in store for these guys come 2023?  I can easily see Turang as the starting 2B on Opening Day.  He's spent the entire year in AAA, has had success and is a much cheaper option than Wong or any other FA.  The outfield is a little more complicated.  Yelich is a lock in LF.  Could Frelick or Ruiz be the starting CF on Opening Day?  Does Renfroe move to primarily a DH role with Frelick and Ruiz both in the outfield?  Or does Renfroe stay in RF with one of Frelick/Ruiz starting in CF and the other one being the 4th outfielder?  My prediction:  Turang, Frelick and Ruiz begin 2023 on the Opening Day roster with Wiemer and Mitchell starting the year in AAA not too far behind those guys.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

What do we think is in store for these guys come 2023?  I can easily see Turang as the starting 2B on Opening Day.  He's spent the entire year in AAA, has had success and is a much cheaper option than Wong or any other FA.  The outfield is a little more complicated.  Yelich is a lock in LF.  Could Frelick or Ruiz be the starting CF on Opening Day?  Does Renfroe move to primarily a DH role with Frelick and Ruiz both in the outfield?  Or does Renfroe stay in RF with one of Frelick/Ruiz starting in CF and the other one being the 4th outfielder?  My prediction:  Turang, Frelick and Ruiz begin 2023 on the Opening Day roster with Wiemer and Mitchell starting the year in AAA not too far behind those guys.

The Brewers could easily move Yelich to DH.  Frelick and Ruiz will probably compete with Taylor for the CF spot in 2023.  I think Taylor gets the spot and Frelick goes to AAA to start the year and Ruiz probably replaces Davis as the 4th or 5th OF.  Wiemer and Mitchell are probably on the outside looking in if Yelich is going to be the starting LF instead of the DH.  

If you move Yelich to DH that opens up LF for Wiemer, Renfroe, Taylor or Mitchell.  With Wiemer's arm I think he profiles best in RF defensively.  Wiemer could be a clone of Renfroe on the MLB side at least I think that would be his best current comp I still believe Wiemer's closest comp is Corey Hart.  

Turang is more than likely the starting 2B for the Brewers next year as I don't see the Brewers bringing back Wong.  Or the Brewers could make Turang their super utility player and have him play 2B, SS, CF and LF.  

I wouldn't be surprised by a Renfroe or Adames trade in the offseason either.  I think Hiura will be traded this offseason to open up the DH spot for Yelich which also opens up an OF spot for Wiemer, Mitchell, Frelick or Ruiz.  I think there will be a lot of financial casualties for the Brewers in this coming offseason if the Brewers want to keep Burnes and Woodruff.  I think the Brewers are going to go with trying to compete every year instead of doing a scorched Earth tactic with their MLB and minor league rosters.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Ruiz in the majors this year, though he seems like he's got more to learn as a defensive CF.  As a former IF he could do a bit of the utility role that Peterson was filling, though you might well argue that from a development point of view it's better to keep him in CF at AAA.  (With the depth he's moving around in AAA as it is, though.)

My guess is that Turang is expected to break camp with the Brewers as part of the infield group (as they love to say) and that Wong will move on.  He's rebounded a bit with the bat but his normally reliable D has slipped and I could see them saving the money.  Turang's D is supposed to be really good so there's maybe even a chance that Adames would move to 2b or 3b?  Adames 3b, Turang SS, Urias 2b could well be their best defensive alignment.

4 hours ago, wibadgers23 said:

Three will be on the opening day roster (best bets Turang, Ruiz, Frelick). Davis, McCutchen, and Wong will be gone. Slight chance for another one of the OF to displace Taylor from the roster (whom we can trade for a lottery ticket prospect near the end of spring training, when some team loses a CF to injury).

Nice thread.

Most seem to think Frelick, Ruiz & Turang are the best bets. I agree. Turang is a good bet to replace Wong at 2B, but with the "position player group" mentality I wouldn't be surprised if he moves around a little as well. Depending on circumstances It wouldn't surprise me if Frelick or Ruiz are here before the season ends. Weimer & Mitchell are a little tougher call. The DH spot has a lot of candidates so it's hard to say which way they'll go, it could certainly open up a spot for one of them. Mitchell hasn't been able to get the volume of ABs due to health so Joey might be a little ahead of him as far as a roster spot in 2023.

No one saw any of Stearns' bigger off-season or early-season trades coming so something we aren't anticipating will probably happen. Yelich can't be traded, so would Tellez go somewhere in a package deal with Yelich moving to 1B? He doesn't fit the 1B "profile" but with that spot being a ? in the system & Yelich here for awhile, who knows?

I really like all 5, but if we start 3 rookies next year, and surround them with the mediocre holdovers we have, we'll suck.

If we go with cheap rookies, then we better find a stud who can carry the offense for long stretches. 

I do think we see Frelick already this year. They're desperate for some good PR.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Feels like some kind of consolidation trade will happen this offseason for the OF at least.

Even if they go something like Yelich to primary DH/occasional LF, keep Renfroe for one last Arby's year in RF and hold on to Taylor as 4th OF that leaves two spots for the four AAA OF.

Frelick seems like the high man on the totem pole currently, obviously the FO is high on Ruiz or they wouldn't have dealt for him. That leaves Wiemer or Mitchell as the trade candidates for me. Would prefer to keep Joey myself since he is the only one with real plus power, whereas there is some skillset overlap amongst the other three.

No matter what happens, it's pretty crazy for an organization that apparently can't develop hitters to have half a lineup of legit position player prospects on the precipice in AAA.

Oh, and some dude named Jackson too.

• Like 1

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We might still play a Super Two delay game with Turang and/or Frelick, right? I don’t want to get my hopes up too high.

But yeah, Frelick, Ruiz and Turang should each see 400+ MLB plate appearances next year, while Feliciano will likely get another 200+.

They’ve been rather insistent on Frelick playing center field, so I expect he’ll stick there while Ruiz roves around.

My guess: Yelich-Frelick-Renfroe as principal starters, with Ruiz getting lots of time and Taylor also hanging around as OF #5. Either Frelick or Ruiz is bound to struggle initially, so I don’t think we’ll sell high on Renfroe until the 2023 trade deadline.

Turang’s recent extra-base hit surge puts him back in the mix for the 2023 starting second base role, but I think he’ll have a massive spotlight on him in Feb/Mar 2023 as he tries convince Counsell/Stearns that he’s mastered the position. Any slip-up and they can easily force him to start 2023 in AAA to get more experience as an everyday second baseman, but I think he’ll put in the work and pass the test.

How is Ruiz as a 2nd baseman? He could be a option there.  Platoon with Turang? 

Wong is a actually productive, so replacing him with a rookie will be tough. The other spots, no big deal. Frelick replaces Cain/Davis, so Frelick could be an upgrade. The other player being replaced is McCutchen, and he's terrible, so a rookie likely wouldn't be a downgrade even if he struggles. At least with McCutchen gone we'd gain versatility, instead of being saddled with a DH only. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I don't expect any of Turang/Frelick/Mitchell/or Wiemer to break camp with the Crew as the Brewers will want to delay their debuts so they get that extra year of control. I do think Taylor probably starts the year as our CF with Ruiz the 4th OFer. Then I think Turang and Frelick will probably be up in short order after the season begins and if either Wiemer or Mitchell force the issue or if we have injuries to any outfielders one of them will be up. I expect we sign a decent 3b and move Urias to 2nd

Opening Day

C Caritini

1b Rowdy

2b Urias

SS Adames

3b FA

LF Yelich 

CF Taylor

RF Renfroe

DH Hiura

Bench: Ruiz, Vet FA utility, Severino, Brosseau

2 months into the season

C Caritini/Severino

1b Rowdy

2b Urias

SS Adames

3B FA

LF Mitchell or Wiemer

CF Frelick

RF Renfroe

DH Yelich

Bench: Ruiz, Brosseau, Taylor, Severino

19 hours ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

Nice thread.

Most seem to think Frelick, Ruiz & Turang are the best bets. I agree. Turang is a good bet to replace Wong at 2B, but with the "position player group" mentality I wouldn't be surprised if he moves around a little as well. Depending on circumstances It wouldn't surprise me if Frelick or Ruiz are here before the season ends. Weimer & Mitchell are a little tougher call. The DH spot has a lot of candidates so it's hard to say which way they'll go, it could certainly open up a spot for one of them. Mitchell hasn't been able to get the volume of ABs due to health so Joey might be a little ahead of him as far as a roster spot in 2023.

No one saw any of Stearns' bigger off-season or early-season trades coming so something we aren't anticipating will probably happen. Yelich can't be traded, so would Tellez go somewhere in a package deal with Yelich moving to 1B? He doesn't fit the 1B "profile" but with that spot being a ? in the system & Yelich here for awhile, who knows?

Yelich doesn’t currently possess enough power to warrant a position in LF, at 1B, or as DH … I hate that his contract may hinder one of these young future players from making the team & contributing in 2023 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MVP2110 said:

I don't expect any of Turang/Frelick/Mitchell/or Wiemer to break camp with the Crew as the Brewers will want to delay their debuts so they get that extra year of control. I do think Taylor probably starts the year as our CF with Ruiz the 4th OFer. Then I think Turang and Frelick will probably be up in short order after the season begins and if either Wiemer or Mitchell force the issue or if we have injuries to any outfielders one of them will be up. I expect we sign a decent 3b and move Urias to 2nd

Opening Day

C Caritini

1b Rowdy

2b Urias

SS Adames

3b FA

LF Yelich 

CF Taylor

RF Renfroe

DH Hiura

Bench: Ruiz, Vet FA utility, Severino, Brosseau

2 months into the season

C Caritini/Severino

1b Rowdy

2b Urias

SS Adames

3B FA

LF Mitchell or Wiemer

CF Frelick

RF Renfroe

DH Yelich

Bench: Ruiz, Brosseau, Taylor, Severino

Where does Hiura wind up in your 2 months in scenario?

53 minutes ago, edfunderburk said:

Where does Hiura wind up in your 2 months in scenario?

To answer both questions about Hiura & Jace. I expect the Brewers basically replace Jace with Turang unless Jace comes back super cheap. As for Hiura, realistically there will probably be some sort of injury to someone that will open a spot and if not then whoever isn't producing gets moved on from. That could be Hiura or someone else. Also possible that only one of the Frelick. Mitchell, Wiemer group gets called up that quick and one could possibly be traded this offseason for pitching

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MVP2110 said:

To answer both questions about Hiura & Jace. I expect the Brewers basically replace Jace with Turang unless Jace comes back super cheap. As for Hiura, realistically there will probably be some sort of injury to someone that will open a spot and if not then whoever isn't producing gets moved on from. That could be Hiura or someone else. Also possible that only one of the Frelick. Mitchell, Wiemer group gets called up that quick and one could possibly be traded this offseason for pitching

I asked about Hiura because I didn’t see him listed as a bench bat in the 2 months in list you shared after being the primary DH to start the season

I hope Turang replaces Wong at 2B, but I guess he could become the inclined utility man with occasional CF duties 

21 minutes ago, edfunderburk said:

I asked about Hiura because I didn’t see him listed as a bench bat in the 2 months in list you shared after being the primary DH to start the season

I hope Turang replaces Wong at 2B, but I guess he could become the inclined utility man with occasional CF duties 

I understand why you asked and totally understandable. My theory in leaving him off was he'd either be traded or DFAd. But it's almost assuredly more likely someone is on the IL or only one of Frelick/Mitchell/Wiemer gets the call to the Majors that quickly.

As for Turang I think the fact that we haven't called him up this year speaks to their belief in him. I don't think they'll be ready to handover an everyday job to him next year and that his long term career will be in that Jace Peterson type role of playing multiple positions but starting multiple times a week

Just now, MVP2110 said:

I understand why you asked and totally understandable. My theory in leaving him off was he'd either be traded or DFAd. But it's almost assuredly more likely someone is on the IL or only one of Frelick/Mitchell/Wiemer gets the call to the Majors that quickly

I hope he’s traded in the offseason … he deserves a fresh start

His strikeout % is simply too high for someone who is so defensively limited

He can - on occasion- mash the ball

His inability to hit lefties makes him a trade or DFA candidate once his minor league options expire

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, edfunderburk said:

I hope he’s traded in the offseason … he deserves a fresh start

His strikeout % is simply too high for someone who is so defensively limited

He can - on occasion- mash the ball

His inability to hit lefties makes him a trade or DFA candidate once his minor league options expire

At this point in time, I'm actually fine with him being up here. He can be productive in stretches. We all know the flip side.

When you look at our recent drafting habits, they're emphasizing things he doesn't bring to that particular table. I think they would've loved to have pulled the trigger on a deal involving him last week, but it just didn't happen.

5 minutes ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

At this point in time, I'm actually fine with him being up here. He can be productive in stretches. We all know the flip side.

When you look at our recent drafting habits, they're emphasizing things he doesn't bring to that particular table. I think they would've loved to have pulled the trigger on a deal involving him last week, but it just didn't happen.

He’s starting at 1B this evening against a lefty … which makes no sense

He pounds RH pitchers … he primarily plays against lefties

• Like 1

1 minute ago, edfunderburk said:

He’s starting at 1B this evening against a lefty … which makes no sense

he pounds RH pitchers … he primarily plays against lefties

Ohhhhhhhkayyyyyyy.......I thought earlier his starting for Tellez tonight was a possibility, then I thought nah.

Must see viewing, I guess.

22 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Who are the free agent 3B that we have to choose from?

I will be shocked if we have the money or are willing to spend the money to go out and sign a FA 3B that is the impact bat that we need.

Well...Arenado only has about 4/144 left on his deal, but he could always opt out. So...5 years 200M? 

Probably not.

Longoria, Turner have team options.

Jace Peterson is probably the best 3B FA in our price range...sadly. 

I don't see much happening in free agency. Not even because we can't spend money. With the bump in TV money, I'm sure we could push the payroll to 140-150. I just don't know where would spend it that'd be realistic with the bumps in Arby already factored in. So I'm good with Urias/Borsseau/Jace.

Maybe Hiura can start to hit lefties and a couple prospects can have an impact. One of these years it'll all click. I believe that.

I believe Brice Turang has a good chance to grab a starting job next year.  He started in AAA last year, so will have over a year of time there.  His numbers this year have been held down by a bad one month stretch.  However, over the last 30 days his line is approximately .320/.420/.515/.935.  If he can finish strong and have a decent spring training, I think he has a pretty good chance of filling an infield spot.