Brewer Fanatic

Time for the August prospect list update!

Message added by Brock Beauchamp,
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
7 hours ago, True Blue Brew Crew said:

I certainly can't state it as fact, but I'm of the belief that Gasser was the higher priority than Ruiz in the Hader deal. That's not saying they don't like Ruiz, but I believe Ruiz was more of a "hey this kid is having a boom year, let's take a shot that there might be something there" type. Stearns twice has gone straight to Gasser when asked about the prospects they got back. Talked about having targeted him in the draft...

Stearns also had this high praise...

Hogg's inadvertent name swap aside, that's a pretty bold statement.

I think this is accurate. I watched his entire outing last night. There is so much to like with this young man's arsenal. He just turned 23 in May. He's already pitching like a Vet - he literally made one mistake pitch last night. One. Everything else was moving, changing speeds, dropping horizontally and vertically. Fastball sitting at 94 mph touching 96. Slider dropping down to 76 mph (!!). One pitch in the center of the zone. Everything else teasing the zone or falling out of the zone. He had a plan of attack in every AB. He has a four-pitch mix right now and can probably add a fifth into the Mix (?). He's already ahead of Ethan Small for me - and, honestly, it's just not even that close.

• Like 5

Went with a top 75 this time around, but added a blurb for my top 20 (which ended up getting long-winded as I typed ?), since that’s really what we’re voting on. The tiers are more important than the rankings in my opinion, but obviously when doing a list there has to be an order, so I tried to organize them within my tiers the best I could.

1. Jackson Chourio OF   65 OFP

There is obviously still risk here. He's an 18 year old kid. But this 18 year old is off to one of the best starts to pro ball, for anyone his age, in the 21st century. He shows bat to ball skills in every area of the zone, he drives the ball to all fields, he's athletic and should be able to stick in center, he does just about everything. The arm is average, but I believe it will be plenty strong enough for center field. Oh, and he also seems to have a hell of a lot of fun playing baseball.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Sal Frelick OF   55 OFP

Frelick surpasses Wiemer for me in this update, though I always had them in the same tier, I’ve actually bumped Frelick a tier above Wiemer. The bat to ball skills are just so much better than Wiemer. I think Frelick is going to be capable of hitting 15+ HR in the majors, but even if he doesn’t, this is a top of the order bat that could help the major league team as early as this season and he will be able to play an above average center field on top of it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Joey Wiemer OF 50+ OFP

Wiemer’s tools are so loud. He has one of the best arms in baseball. He is 27/28 on stolen base attempts this year. He can hit balls 450 feet. But the strikeouts are concerning. Over 30% in AA is not great. He had a really bad month to close out his time in Biloxi, but as some have pointed out, it did appear he was battling injury for much of that month and the swing has looked more like the violent whip that we’ve all come to know and love. Strikeouts will always be part of his profile, so if he can keep the K rate in the 30% range, he will be a good big leaguer. If it starts creeping up toward 35+, that could be an issue.

1. Jeferson Quero C 50+ OFP

Quero is one of my absolute favorites in the system, and I don’t think he gets enough love around here. A 19 year old catcher in full season ball, hitting above league average is pretty notable on its own. The fact that his defense is so advanced for his age makes it extremely exciting for me. He’s thrown out 31% of base stealers in a league that's rules have allowed base stealers to run rampant. Having watched a lot of the Mudcats games, Quero is in control behind the plate and in my opinion has a really good demeanor about him, even when things aren’t going well. I think Quero can be one of the top catching prospects in baseball by the end of the 2023 season. The bat will need to develop a bit more for that to come to fruition, but I think the approach and swing show a strong possibility of that happening. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Eric Brown Jr. SS 50 OFP

Not sure many will have Brown this high. I’m planting my flag on this one. He was *the* guy I wanted the Brewers to draft after Cooper Hjerpe got picked (stupid STL). I love his profile. Extremely good bat to ball skills, high exit velocities, good swing decisions. He does need to get the ball in the air a bit more, but I think he’s capable of it. The weird swing setup doesn’t bother me at all, and I actually like the swing itself. Defensively he will either stick at short and be a good defender there, or be an elite defender at second. By all accounts the only real reason he might move is the arm strength. There’s definitely some risk that he never elevates the ball enough and moves off short, which would absolutely lower the value. But I’ve been a big fan since pre-draft and I will put my Brewer Fanatic currency where my mouth is with this ranking.

1. Garrett Mitchell OF 50 OFP

Mitchell probably fluctuates as much as anyone on my list. His raw athletic abilities are honestly absurd. The way he moves at his size is not normal. The results since returning from injury have been really good. I still worry about the swing, a 60% GB rate, plus 28% K rate will be a tough profile to be successful with, even with his 70 grade speed. Since he returned from his latest injury, there does seem to be a bit more intent to get some loft in the swing. Speaking of injuries, that is the biggest concern with Mitchell in my opinion. If he can stay on the field he can be a really solid player, even if he doesn’t elevate the ball a ton. If he stays healthy and starts elevating, his ceiling is incredibly high.

1. Jacob Misiorowski RHP 50 OFP

For the second pick in a row, the Brewers took the guy I wanted them to take. This is arguably the most talented arm in the draft. I’ve heard that some organizations view him as a top 100 prospect in baseball post-draft (which doesn't feel as cool to know, since it is now being reported by Joe Doyle lol). I simply don’t have enough of a sample to make that call, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if he was up there by the end of next year. His pure stuff is special, electric, etc. Whatever you want to call it, he’s nasty. He’s been clocked up to 102, and throws a wipeout slider. The Brewers apparently love the changeup as well. Command will end up deciding his fate, and whether he adds some good weight and can hold up as a starter. But this can be a huge coup as a second round pick.

1. Tyler Black 2B/OF     50 OFP

Black actually has a lot of similarities to Eric Brown offensively. Maybe the Brewers should keep drafting players with colors for last names! Doesn’t strike out much, walks a lot, doesn’t chase, and hits the ball hard but with a pretty high ground ball rate. Really, I view their offensive profiles very similarly, and Black has the advantage of being a lefty bat, and having a pro track record already. The reason I have him below Brown is simply due to the other side of the ball. Black has not looked good at all as a second baseman in my times watching him play. He has looked pretty decent in center field however, and I think the outfield is his more likely landing spot as a big leaguer. I could also see a move to first base. The bat carries this profile though, and I like the bat a lot.

1. Robert Gasser LHP 50 OFP

Gasser made his first AA start and his first start in the Brewers organization yesterday, going 5 shutout innings with 2 H, 2 BB and 5 K’s. He has a bit of a funky delivery, and from what I can see, I think he gets good extension and hides the ball well, which will help the fastball velo play up. His fastball velo was in the 93-95 range, touching 96. Slider was a bit slower than I expected (a bit more slurvy than a true slider), but it looked really good. Changeup showed some really nice flashes and the curve was a pretty solid fourth pitch. I think the Brewers believe in Gasser *a lot*. My first look has me feeling quite good about his future. Especially with the way the Brewers have been able to develop these types of arms. 

1. Brice Turang SS 50 OFP

I went back and forth between Ruiz and Turang here, eventually deciding that Turang’s ability to play short and his bat to ball skills were just a bit more valuable. It’s been nice to see the power come along a bit after the month-long stretch with no XBH. However, I still don’t know that there will ever be a ton of it. I actually think I’m lower on his glove than most, but I do think he can handle short and would be a pretty solid second baseman. Overall, he’s probably ready for the majors right now and I think he will be a solid starter.

1. Esteury Ruiz OF 50 OFP

As I mentioned above, I went back and forth between Ruiz and Turang. Ruiz had 60 stolen bases in the minors by July 11th. That’s… A lot. He’s got 80 grade speed, but there are definite concerns with the bat. He did not hit the ball with any authority in the majors (SSS alert), and there has been a lot of swing and miss in the past. His numbers with the Padres org this year were insane, but in a very hitter friendly environment. I look forward to watching some more Sounds games and seeing what I think at that point, but for right now he’s comfortably 4th in the AAA OF group for me. Which is less of a knock on him and more of a sign of how deep that group is at this moment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Ethan Small LHP 45+ OFP

I think there’s a pretty good chance Small’s best role will end up being in the pen. He could be a swing guy, where he makes some starts as well. The velo could play up a bit in a multi inning relief role though and he won’t need a third pitch as badly as he will as a starter. The changeup is really good. The slider is… not. With his command, it seems to be more of a mentality issue than a true inability to throw strikes. For those reasons, I do think he ends up being a one time through the order type of guy if he sticks in the Brewers org.

1. Hendry Mendez OF 45+ OFP

First, I hope Hendry is feeling better after that scary injury the other day. This is another example of the Brewers targeting guys with bat to ball skills and a patient approach. Mendez has been one of the youngest players in full season ball all season, and has carried a wRC+ of 108, with a nearly even K/BB ratio. There is pretty big raw power, though the swing isn’t tailored to get to it very often. He’s 7/15 on SB attempts, which is not good. Especially with the pickoff rules in effect at that level. But he’s a good athlete and the baserunning instincts could come around. In general, a good defender with a pretty solid arm as well. If he can get into the power without losing the plate discipline, he could be a big time prospect.

1. Eduardo Garcia SS 45+ OFP

Garcia, as opposed to Mendez, does not have good plate discipline or bat to ball skills. Striking out over 30% of the time and walking under 6%. His bat likely will always be pretty average. You hope the power continues to show up and that he can hit you some home runs and doubles. Garcia’s value comes from his glove and his arm. He can be a plus glove at short, and has a really good arm. 60+ grades on both. He seems to run the bases well, but his pure speed is pretty mediocre. The glove will be the carrying tool through the minors. The bat will need to improve for him to make any real big noise.

1. Carlos Rodriguez RHP 45+ OFP

I think, when all is said and done, the 2021 draft class is going to look really good for the Brewers. Rodriguez was the 6th round pick and is off to a great start in full season ball. A really solid 20 game (14 starts) stretch in Low-A got him promoted to Appleton where he threw 4 shutout innings with 7 K’s in his first appearance. Velo has been in the 93-95 range, up to 96 when I’ve watched. The slider is nasty, and the changeup looks to be a really good third pitch, almost looking like a curve at times with the big drop he gets on it. Solid results and really interesting stuff as a pretty young pitcher in High A. Lots to like.

1. Logan Henderson RHP 45+ OFP

Henderson finally made his Brewers debut yesterday after non-TJ elbow surgery had held him out. I loved this pick at the time, and he might be higher on my list if he had more innings under his belt and a pro track record. The changeup is a plus pitch. The fastball was only around 89-93 MPH in college, but he did touch 95 at times. The Brewers have done a great job of adding velocity to college arms, so I’ll be interested to see if that happens with Henderson as well. He throws a pretty decent curve as his third pitch. Mostly hoping we see a healthy Henderson moving forward.

1. Jace Avina OF 45+ OFP

The Brewers may have gotten a *major* steal with their Avina pick in the 14th round of the 2021 draft. After hitting 10 HR in the ACL with an OPS of 1.066, Avina got promoted to Low-A and in his first two games, he hit 3 HR and a triple off the top of the wall. There’s really big power, with an athletic body and an athletic swing. He has struckout quite a bit so far, but I think the swing will allow him to figure that out. He isn’t a big base stealer, but he’s got above average speed from what I’ve seen. He appears to be a decent defender as well. We will have to see how the strikeout rate progresses, but there’s potential for a big time bat here.

1. Justin Jarvis RHP 45+ OFP

Jarvis has had a bit of a breakout. I’m putting him up this high because of his fastball. I have it as a 70 grade pitch. The velo itself is fine, but nothing too crazy. I’ve seen him up to 97, but usually 93-95. The fastball has incredible life to it though, and the qualities that the Brewers have developed really well (Woodruff like qualities). His secondaries aren’t great, the slider probably being the best at slightly above average. He throws an average changeup and curve as well. Actually a lot of similarities to Woodruff at this level, but Jarvis has more bouts with command issues than Woody had while coming up. I have him this high because I think he’s the exact type of pitcher the Brewers are elite at developing and he’s only 22 with pretty good results at High-A.

1. Victor Castaneda RHP 45+ OFP

Castaneda has had a nice bounce back at AA after struggling with homers a bit while in Appleton. His velo has been 93-95 from what I’ve seen and the splitter is a plus pitch. I actually think the curveball has taken a slight step forward this year, which would be a big help toward allowing him to continue starting. Overall, I haven’t watched him a ton, but I do like his stuff and he’s had pretty solid results this year. 

1. Hedbert Perez OF 45+ OFP

I can’t quite quit Hedbert. There are a lot of reasons for concern with him. A strikeout rate over 30% and a low walk rate is not good. He’s been a below average hitter all season. But a smooth swing and raw power that can hit homers over 110 MPH off the bat is always going to keep me interested. He’s looked good defensively, but his arm is very bad. He’s a left field only prospect at this point. I hold out hope he can turn himself into a Khris Davis prospect, with a better glove. 

1. Luis Lara OF 45+ OFP

2. Felix Valerio 2B 45+ OFP

3. Joe Gray Jr OF 45+ OFP

4. Stiven Cruz RHP 45+ OFP

5. Cam Robinson RHP 45+ OFP

6. Abner Uribe RHP 45+ OFP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Tristen Lutz OF 45 OFP

2. Carlos Rodriguez (OF) OF 45 OFP

3. Freddy Zamora SS 45 OFP

4. Zavier Warren C/CIF 45 OFP

5. Daniel Guilarte SS 45 OFP

6. Robert Moore MIF 45 OFP

7. Luis Castillo OF 45 OFP

8. Jhonny Severino SS 45 OFP

9. Mario Feliciano C 45 OFP

10. Yeison Perez OF 45 OFP

11. Darrien Miller C 45 OFP

12. Matt Wood C/1B 45 OFP

13. Quinton Low 1B/RHP 45 OFP

14. TJ Shook RHP 45 OFP

15. Jakson Reetz C/OF 45 OFP

16. Israel Puello RHP 45 OFP

17. Dylan O'Rae INF 45 OFP

18. Cam Devanney UTL 45 OFP

19. Ben Metzinger 3B 45  OFP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Edwin Jimenez RHP    40+ OFP

2. Ernesto Martinez 1B 40+ OFP

3. Alexander Cornielle RHP 40+ OFP

4. Patricio Aquino RHP 40+ OFP

5. Russell Smith LHP 40+ OFP

6. Brandon Knarr LHP 40+ OFP

7. Caden Vire LHP 40+ OFP

8. Jeison Pena RHP 40+ OFP

9. Peter Strzelecki RHP 40+ OFP

10. Ryan Middendorf RHP 40+ OFP

11. Thomas Dillard 1B 40+ OFP

12. Jheremy Vargas 3B 40+ OFP

13. Will Rudy RHP 40+ OFP

14. Je'Von Ward OF 40+ OFP

15. Jadher Areinamo SS/3B 40+ OFP

16. Micah Bello OF 40+ OFP

17. Tayden Hall C/1B 40+ OFP

18. Lucas Erceg RHP 40+ OFP

19. Miguel Sanchez RHP 40+ OFP

20. Noah Campbell UTIL 40+ OFP

21. Miguel Segura RHP 40+ OFP

22. Yujanyer Herrera RHP 40+ OFP

23. Alexander Perez SS 40+ OFP

24. Gregory Barrios SS 40+ OFP

25. Max Lazar RHP 40+ OFP

26. Tyler Woessner RHP 40+ OFP

27. Clayton Andrews LHP 40+ OFP

28. James Meeker RHP 40+ OFP

29. Hobie Harris RHP 40+ OFP

30. Weston Wilson UTIL 40+ OFP

• Like 7

Two biggest factors for me are proximity to the big leagues and upside(sometimes diametrically opposed view points).
As for tools, I think they're pretty standard for most people.
Position Player-Hit tool, Power, Defense
Pitchers-Fastball

And the BIGGEST thing I learned...don't read Joseph's Zarr's minor league thread before doing this! He's too damn enthusiastic and gets you excited about every prospect! Makes me love reading the threads, but makes this harder! 

Finally, my professors always told me to be more succinct. A skill I've yet to master obviously...

1-Jackson Chourio-CF(2B?) ETA-2024
Seems easy to me. He’s a prospect unlike any we’ve had since I can recall. Blue chip bonus baby has come out and just absolutely crushed it in LowA, then continued in HiA. This is a player who could win an MVP. And IS he strictly an OFer? Started off as a MIFer, moved due to an arm issue. The intent was to move him back, but I don’t know if his bat is going to allow for it. Unless this guy’s Ceiling is insane. Hit 70, power 60, run 60, arm 45, field 60

2-Sal Frelick-CF ETA 2023
I’m quickly developing a newfound affinity for guys who can just put the ball in play. After years of arguing strikeouts don’t matter…well, that’s why the league is at a 50 year low. Frelick is the type of guy who can change the identify of this team with his bat to ball skills, plate discipline and he’s got power and elite speed. Prototypical #2 hitter in my mind, but if with his OB skills, leadoff.

3-Brice Turang-SS/2B/CF ETA-Sept/’23
He was #1 coming into the season for me and he hasn’t dropped because of his play. Aggressively moved throughout the system, he’s held his own at each level and now he’s starting to show his power. I see a little Trea Turner in there. The defense will play all over the place. If he can show 12-15 HR a year power, he’s an All-Star. Great speed will help out his BA/OBP, his plate discipline…I think he’s the leadoff hitter in front of Frelick in the near future.

4-Joey Weimer-CF….but probably RF. ETA-‘23
I see a faster Jay Buhner with a little Kirk Gibson in the stance and set up. The only question is all the moving parts to his swing, will he be able to hit .250-.280? If he does that, I think he’s a AS caliber RFer. I think it's a bit more likely he's going to hit close to ~.230, but with his pure power and tools, if he clicks, he's going to be a star.

5-Garrett Mitchell-CF ETA ‘23
Just another prototypical OF prospect. The size, the speed, the arm. Another guy who profiles as a #1/#2 hitter to me unless the power comes. But he’s an OB machine, good hit tool and the other 3 tools are elite. Highest upside among position players in my mind outside of a certain 18 year old kid who’s destroying HiA at the moment. Biggest concerns are his ability to stay on the field.

6-Tyler Black-2B/CF ETA late ’23-24
60 Hit tool…he walks and he can hit the ball and he should move quickly. Again, On-base skills, good hit tool. Love that the Brewers have these guys coming up. Hopefully in a couple years we’ll be able to re-write the, “but the Brewers can’t develop hitters,” label many have put on this current regime.

7-Jeferson Quero-C ETA 2025
Advanced defensive catcher who’s hitting the ball well at 19 years old in A ball. Has the 60 arm, 60 grade on his defense and he’s progressing with the bat well. 2025 may seem quick for a catcher that young, but he’s advanced defensively and that’s…extremely rare.  

8-Robert Glasser-LHPer 2023
Had to re-write this one and move him up. 1st start in AA for the Brewers looked exceptionally refined. Touches mid 90s fastball, 3 advanced pitches. Could play a role for the Brewers in the BP or as a swing man as soon as next year and hopefully will end up filling in one of the vacated slots in the rotation when Burnes/Woodruff enter free agency and earn the GDP of a mid-sized European Country in a couple years.

9-Jacob Misiorowski-RHP ETA 2025
Another JUCO kid with a big, projectable frame who has dominant, TOR, back of the BP type stuff.
Sits in the mid 90s, hits 102, low 90s slider and a curve ball that so far as I can tell is a bit lose and not a true 3rd pitch just yet, but at 20 years old and with a 6’7 190LB frame, still a lot of projection left…and the Brewers obviously believe in the pure stuff or they wouldn’t have gone a million over slot to bring him into the fold.

10-Ethan Small-LHP MLB
Not as down on him as others. His big-league results haven’t been there just yet, he’s not a TOR type arm, but he’s advanced, I think his floor is a #5 starter…and 6 years of that is extremely valuable. Upside of a #3. Already 25, only thing left for him to do is attack hitters a little better. Still holding out some hope he can find that extra velocity that seemingly every Brewers pitching prospect has, but just seems like a smart, crafty lefty who’ll give you 30 starts a year.

11-Eric Brown Jr-2B/SS ETA Late 2024/2025
Another athletic, up the middle College bat who has a good hit tool, a priority in recent drafts.
1st round pick, rated ~35 according to most pre-draft reports so far as I’ve been able to see.
We’ll see if they do anything with his swing or set up, but good bat speed, great BB/K ratio.

12-Esteury Ruiz-CF/2B
Don’t know much about Ruiz, but just looking at the numbers…beyond the more eye popping ones, he’s walked 55 times vs 67 strikeouts this season across AA/AAA and the Big Leagues. Showing good power, great bat skills, exceptional speed. A little lower than he may be if he’d been in our system because I just haven’t seen it. That said, articles with headlines like; “
Can Esteury Ruiz Save the San Diego Padres Outfield?,” certainly are encouraging! This was from less than a month ago. So while it will be tough for people to separate Ruiz from the Josh Hader trade, I hope they can as he appears to be a very nice young prospect.

13- Felix Valerio-2B
-Anyone scouts think has a FV of 70 for a hit tool is someone I consider intriguing. His good speed and then average defense at 2B…and I think he can play some SS, 3B, a future utility. But if he develops that hit tool into a 70 with his ability to make contact and draw walks, that COULD be a special player. Perhaps a Marwin Gonzalez. Someone capable of playing all 3 IF spots (sans 1B, though it’d be interesting at 5’7) as well as CF, but a poor arm suggests he’ll be a 2B primarily. Bug again, positional versatility and great bat control and good plate discipline.   

14-Hendry Mendez-CF
ANOTHER young left-handed bat with a potential 60 hit tool. Another player who, unlike the Brewers teams of the past couple years (along with MLB at large) Mendez appears to be a player who makes contact and strikes out at a very low rate. I appreciate I’m likely higher on him than others, but 51/54 K/BB ratio for a rail thin 6’2 lefty who’s making good, solid contact already at in A ball? I’m a fan. I see a guy who could be an Andrew Benintendi. A guy who hits for a high average, is a solid, but unspectacular defender, but hopefully with a bit more power.

15-Abner Uribe-RHP
As I said, I value upside. 103 on the FB and a potential plus-plus slider. Injuries are a concern, control is a concern, but if he can get the ball over the plate, he could be an overpowering reliever.

16-Carlos Rodriguez CF
Absolute burner with a good hit tool who takes pitches. High upside and with traits that have a high floor. May not hit for power, but there’s nothing more valuable than the ability to get on base is the most valuable ability in sports and he’s showing he can do just that.

17-Robert Moore-2B
Elite defender, switch hitter. Still just 20 and looks like he’s got more power than expected from a 5’9 frame. Following in the mold of recent picks, he’s a hitter with a high walk rate, doesn’t chase much. Questionable arm strength will likely keep him from playing SS/3B regularly, but quickness and instincts should allow him to field each position well enough to be a option as a utility man. Again, very underrated role. Not everyone is going to be a 1st division all-star starter. Nobody uses his roster as well as Craig Counsell in my opinion and Moore should fit well moving forward. His switch hitting is an added bonus.

18-Zavier Warren 3B/SS/2B/1B/C-Utility Man Extraordinaire
I may be a prisoner of the moment on this one, but Warren has been crushing it. He works the count, draws a lot of walks, hits for power…and if he can ride this late hot streak to AA, he’ll be knocking on the doorstep of the Major League team. Big arm, good power and one of the few notable corner IFers in the system. I think he can stay at 3rd. Catcher seems to be an emergency type situation and mostly abandoned at this point…but it’s always nice to have an emergency catcher who’s got at least some experience catching.

19--Hedbert Perez-OF
Perez was the guy last year getting the Jackson Chourio buzz, but it was clearly a bit pre-mature. I’ve seen where his lofty placement on some lists last year or coming into this year caused Perez to press a bit. But still just 19, the compact left-handed swing still has massive upside and he has a smooth, sweet swing still has me believing he can be a future contributor.

20-Russell Smith LHP
6’9 lefty who has been a bit uninspiring thus far at Wisconsin, particularly for a 4 year College pitcher, but he did miss a year from TJ, then Covid. Solid command, not overpowering, but potential swing man, #5 starter/reliever.

21-Logan Henderson RHP
Another Juco pitcher. Another pitcher who doesn’t have a ton of upside, but has 3 pitches right now which should help him work his way through the minors. Similar to Smith in his profile, but about 10 inches shorter and reportedly not much projection left. Not really sure where to slot in a 2nd round

22-Yeison Perez-1B/RF/LF
Still in DSL, but he’s absolutely raking. A LHed bat in an unconventional build and lacking for a defensive home, but the DH has come to the NL.

23-Mario Feliciano-C
Haven’t seen him defensively in a while. He’s hitting the ball pretty well in AAA…and has at most stops on his way through the system.

24-Justin Jarvis RHP
I’m a fan. I’ve got to see him this year and I thought he looked like a guy who’s stuff could play up as a multi-inning reliever and sit in the 96-98 range(projecting) or if he can refine his command, not his control, and work down in the zone a bit more, he could be a solid #3. Next year will be big for him.

25-Victor Casteneda-RHP
Mid 90s, he’s consistently performed well. Where I may be a BIT skeptical is his reliance on the splitter. That’s generally a pitch that causes arm trouble. That said, mid 90s fastball with good movement. 3rd pitch lagging behind but isn’t it always with young prospects. AGAIN, another pitcher who’s going to start in the BP and will get his chance to earn a starting job at some point.

26-Eduardo Garcia-SS
Plus defender who can hit for power and plays elite defense. Still just 19 and up to HiA

27-Alexander Cornielle -RHP

28-Jesus Chirinos C/1B

29-Ernesto Martinez 1B/CF/Cody Bellinger of the Minor Leagues
I really like Martinez…but he’s gotta clean up his stroke. Walks a lot, big tools, but older for the level and has kinda leveled out.

30-Hobie Harris RHP
You throw 101…I’m gonna get excited. Not really a traditional prospect, but the Brewers have enough of a track record of figuring out how to get pitchers to maximize their stuff…and 100MPH fastball is a whooole lot of stuff.

31-Cam Devanney SS/2B
32-Carlos Rodriguez RHP
33-Stiven Cruz RHP
34-Joe Gray Jr OF
Could click at any time…but I’m losing faith.
35-Jace Avina
I don’t know enough about this kid, but the few at-bats I’ve seen from him this year, I like the swing a whole lot and he LOOKS like the type of kid who could be in the top 10-15 in a few months from now.

I feel like there are another 15-20 guys worth mentioning. And after the top ~10 there's a pretty significant drop off, then again after 14, but I didn't want to break it down into tiers.  

But this is the deepest I can recall the system, and we're really starting to see the fruits of the Brewers focus on Latin America. 

• Like 1

This definitely got more difficult, as players like Luis Castillo, Jadher Areinamo, Justin Jarvis, Jace Avina, Daniel Guilarte and others stepped up, along with Ruiz, Gasser and the draft picks (e.g. Eric Brown Jr., Jacob Misiorowski) being added to the organizational depth chart:

1. Jackson Chourio
  2. Brice Turang
  3. Sal Frelick
  4. Ethan Small
  5. Esteury Ruiz
  6. Joey Wiemer
  7. Tyler Black
  8. Carlos F. Rodriguez (pitcher)
  9. Felix Valerio
  10. Jeferson Quero
  11. Garrett Mitchell
  12. Robert Gasser
  13. Victor Castaneda
  14. Hendry Mendez
  15. Mario Feliciano
  16. Eduardo Garcia
  17. Jakson Reetz
  18. Freddy Zamora
  19. Cam Devanney
  20. Jace Avina

With shoutouts to Justin Jarvis, Jadher Areinamo, Luis Castillo, Daniel Guilarte, Hedbert Perez, Darrien Miller, Israel Puello, Stiven Cruz, Luis Lara, Cam Robinson, Eric Brown Jr. and Jacob Misiorowski.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, damuelle said:
  • Jackson Chourio
  • Brice Turang
  • Sal Frelick
  • Ethan Smal
  • Esteury Ruiz
  • Joey Wiemer
  • Tyler Black
  • Carlos F. Rodriguez (pitcher)

I haven't gotten much of a chance to see Rodriguez pitch. Mind giving me a little scouting report or your thoughts on why he's so high? Not asking you to "justify" it or anything, I'd just like to know a bit more about him and what his stuff looks like right now beyond the little I can find.

17 hours ago, UpandIn said:

I haven't gotten much of a chance to see Rodriguez pitch. Mind giving me a little scouting report or your thoughts on why he's so high? Not asking you to "justify" it or anything, I'd just like to know a bit more about him and what his stuff looks like right now beyond the little I can find.

My placement of Rodriguez that high is largely based on his production. He only debuted this year and if I exempt his understandably nervous initial outings, he's done the following since everything "clicked" on May 7th: 2.28 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 11.1 K/9, .540 OPS against, 83 K / 28 BB in 67 innings pitched.

He's still just 20 years old, so he's easily the youngest pitcher that we have in High-A. I believe the main knocks on him coming out of junior college were his height (6'0") and control. FanGraphs' Eric Longenhagen had mentioned that Rodriguez was "wild, but has more upside than (Logan) Henderson." Well, his control hasn't been too bad (knock on wood), so let's believe in that upside! I'm unfortunately not able to dig into the quality of his arsenal (93mph fastball, curve, slider, changeup), but the man is getting the job done.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2022 at 3:07 PM, damuelle said:

My placement of Rodriguez that high is largely based on his production. He only debuted this year and if I exempt his understandably nervous initial outings, he's done the following since everything "clicked" on May 7th: 2.28 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 11.1 K/9, .540 OPS against, 83 K / 28 BB in 67 innings pitched.

He's still just 20 years old, so he's easily the youngest pitcher that we have in High-A. I believe the main knocks on him coming out of junior college were his height (6'0") and control. FanGraphs' Eric Longenhagen had mentioned that Rodriguez was "wild, but has more upside than (Logan) Henderson." Well, his control hasn't been too bad (knock on wood), so let's believe in that upside! I'm unfortunately not able to dig into the quality of his arsenal (93mph fastball, curve, slider, changeup), but the man is getting the job done.

One thing I like about Rodriguez is, like Dylan File and Brandon Knarr, he works with quick flow and purpose. All three of these young men have caught my eye this season as classifying in the Raptorverse of speed to delivery on the mound. Carlos is extremely well-built and has the strength to deliver consistently and with power. He has some tailing movement on his heater so he can get it by batters - I would gather to say he has above-average spin rate. He has a similar build as Victor Castañeda so he has that squat thick lower-body look on the mound (their deliveries, however, are quite different). His stuff is more 'electric' - ie more velocity and violence - than Puello or earlier elevated Ryne Moore (who both rely on unorthodox arm slots and sweeping hooking pitches in attempts to win at bats) in my humble opinion. I'd say he has a legitimate chance to step into the Wisconsin rotation and claim #2 status right away and as he grows maybe usurp Justin Jarvis for that role - a big ask. Naturally, the results will have to appear and this is simply a prognostication and nothing more.

• Like 2

Since it hasn't been updated yet, I figured I'd get my list out there for conversation: 

1) Chourio (easy choice, isn't he like #4 overall by Baseball America?)
2.) Frelick 
3.) Brown
4.) Wiemer
5.) Black
6.) Turang
7.) Mitchell
8.) Misiorowski 
9.) Gasser
10.) Small
11:) Valerio
12.) Carlos Rodriguez (P)
13.) S. Cruz
14.) Reetz 
15.) Quero
16.) Moore
17.) N. Bennett
18.) H Perez
19.) Jarvis
20.) Mendez 
21.) D. O'Rae
22.) C Rodriguez (OF)
23.) B Knarr
24.) TJ Shook
25.) I Puello  

1. Jackson Chourio (who am I to argue with Baseball America)

2. Sal Frelick

3. Zavier Warren

4. Jefferson Quero

5. Robert Gasser

6. Tyler Black

7. Joey Wiemer

8. Jace Avina

9. Yeison Perez

10. Brice Turang

11. Eric Brown

12. Felix Valero

13. Carlos Rodriguez

14. Cam Robinson

15. Ryan Middendorf

16. Hedbert Perez

17. Hendry Mendez

18. Garrett Mitchell

19. Jacob Misiorowski

20. Eduardo Garcia

1. Am I too late?

2 when do we average them to get a sure aggregate?

1. Jackson Chourio, CF 
  2. Sal Frelick, LF
  3. Garrett Mitchell, CF 
  4. Brice Turang, SS 
  5. Tyler Black, 2B 
  6. Jeferson Quero, C 
  7. Robert Gasser, LHP
  8. Esteury Ruiz, OF
  9. Eric Brown, Jr, SS
  10. Joey Wiemer, RF
  11. Ethan Small, SP 
  12. Hedbert Perez, OF
  13. Jacob Misiorowski, P
  14. Ben Metzinger, 3B
  15. Freddy Zamora, SS
  16. Eduardo Garcia, SS
  17. Mario Feliciano, C 
  18. Jakson Reetz, C 
  19. Cam Robinson, RP
  20. Justin Jarvis, P
  21. Matthew Wood, C
  22. Hendry Mendez, RF
  23. Carlos Rodriguez, P
  24. Felix Valerio, 2B
  25. Robert Moore, SS
  26. Tristen Lutz, OF 
  27. Joe Gray, OF
  28. Abner Uribe, P
  29. Logan Henderson, P
  30. Alexander Cornielle, P
  31. Jhonny Severino, SS
  32. Luis Lara, LF
  33. Cam Devanney, SS
  34. Dylan O’Rea, IF
  35. Johan Barrios, SS
  36. Noah Campbell, lf
  37. V Castenada P 
  38. Brandon Knarr, SP 
  39. Jose Sibrian, C
  40. Jesus Parra, 3b
  41. Jean Carmona, 2B 
  42. Zavier Warren, 3B
  43. Jheremy Vargas, OF

On 8/13/2022 at 10:17 AM, Austin Tatious said:

1. Am I too late?

2 when do we average them to get a sure aggregate?

I just tallied them tonight (I'm way behind on everything right now), will try to have the list updated tomorrow evening. Tomorrow is a travel day for me so I can't get it until until later.

• Like 2

MLB.com has also posted their mid-season top prospect list update. We at Brewer Fanatic actually have the same players in the Top 12, with no player more than two slots different between the two lists (e.g. we're higher on Ruiz (6 vs. 8), while they're higher on Quero (7 vs. 9)).

From there, more differences arise - e.g. we have Eduardo Garcia, Mario Feliciano and Justin Jarvis in our Top 20, whereas they have Daniel Guilarte, Robert Moore and Russell Smith. They also have Luis Lara as high as #13, while we've got him at #20.

Well done everyone and thanks for compiling this each month.

Um, There has got to be some excitement with what Jace Avina has been doing while 19.  The fact that he moves up to low A and continues slugging 600+?  He's going to be shooting up lists.  He's probably 3rd or 4th for Milw right now behind Chourio and Frelick.

Speaking of Frelick, He's killing AAA better than Ruiz, the team needs some excitement, he had better be promoted here before Ruiz is recalled up.  You want to energize a team, have a 1st rd selection make it to your team within 140 games played at CF where you've had a glaring hole of batting misery.

42 minutes ago, Seth Stohs said:

How is the current first-round draft pick ranked that low?? (12th)

And strange that their second-round draft pick ranks one spot higher... 

A number of reasons

1. A number of people simply weren't very high on the pick.

2. He was the highest pick, but Misiorowski had the bigger bonus and is seen as having the higher upside.

3. Perhaps most importantly, a lot of the guys who came into the season high on prospect lists are actually producing, and in many cases doing so at AA or AAA. I can't remember for sure but I think I had him 11th (ahead of Small) simply because of Misiorowski's upside and the fact that I couldn't justify ranking a late first round below slot signing ahead of any of the others without him, at the time, having gotten any at bats above rookie ball.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2022 at 1:09 PM, True Blue Brew Crew said:

Just going to throw this is in here...

And what really gets me excited is that for most of my time following Brewer prospects (I've been on this site for a couple of decades), a guy like Misiorowski would have immediately been placed in the top few spots on the list. 

We've just gone through a period where the Brewers have been in the bottom tier of farm systems. Right now, not only do we have one of the top prospects in baseball, but our top draft picks don't even crack our team's Top 10 list!!

The Brewers farm system has taken a huge step forward. There is a lot to be excited about, and the future is soon, with many of our top guys near MLB ready.

Normally you'd see this happen when a team is going through an extended rebuild, but the Crew has turned the farm around during a period in which they're winning at the MLB level. 

• Like 4

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

6 hours ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

Um, There has got to be some excitement with what Jace Avina has been doing while 19.  The fact that he moves up to low A and continues slugging 600+?  He's going to be shooting up lists.  He's probably 3rd or 4th for Milw right now behind Chourio and Frelick.

Speaking of Frelick, He's killing AAA better than Ruiz, the team needs some excitement, he had better be promoted here before Ruiz is recalled up.  You want to energize a team, have a 1st rd selection make it to your team within 140 games played at CF where you've had a glaring hole of batting misery.

Avina has been a fun follow for sure this year, but until he reigns in that strikeout rate (34.2 K% in 149 complex level PAs and now 40.6 K% in 32 PAs at Carolina so far), gonna be tough to make much headway.

9 hours ago, damuelle said:

MLB.com has also posted their mid-season top prospect list update. We at Brewer Fanatic actually have the same players in the Top 12, with no player more than two slots different between the two lists (e.g. we're higher on Ruiz (6 vs. 8), while they're higher on Quero (7 vs. 9)).

From there, more differences arise - e.g. we have Eduardo Garcia, Mario Feliciano and Justin Jarvis in our Top 20, whereas they have Daniel Guilarte, Robert Moore and Russell Smith. They also have Luis Lara as high as #13, while we've got him at #20.

Well done everyone and thanks for compiling this each month.

The Guilarte one is interesting. The MLB pipeline list seems to usually be the most conservative of the major prospect lists, not sticking their necks out far for someone they might like more than industry average. So for Guilarte to jump on there relatively high, along with how the write-up is phrased, would seem to indicate that the enthusiasm is coming from talks with people inside the organization.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...