Brewer Fanatic

Time for the August prospect list update!

Message added by Brock Beauchamp,

1. Jackson Chourio (OF)

2. Sal Frelick (OF)

3. Tyler Black (2B/3B)

4. Brice Turang (SS/2B)

5. Esteury Ruiz (OF)

6. Joey Wiemer (OF)

7. Garrett Mitchell (OF)

8. Robert Gasser (P)

9. Jeferson Quero (C)

10. Hendry Mendez (OF)

11. Eduardo Garcia (SS)

12. Jacob Misiorowski (P) 

13. Mario Feliciano (C)

14. Hedbert Perez (OF)

15. Eric Brown Jr. (SS)

16. Felix Valerio (2B)

17. Ethan Small (P)

18. Zavier Warren (3B/1B)

19. Tristen Lutz (OF)

20. Carlos F. Rodriguez (P)

1. Jackson Chourio

2. Sal Frelick

3. Joey Wiemer

4. Tyler Black

5. Ethan Small

6. Robert Gasser

7. Jefferson Quero

8. Jacob Misiorowski

9. Esteury Ruiz

10. Garrett Mitchell

11. Brice Turang 

12. Hendry Mendez

13. Eric Brown

14. Jace Avina

15. Felix Valerio

16. Hedbert Perez 

17. Mario Feliciano

18. Eduardo Garcia

19. Jakson Reetz

20. Johan Barrios

21.. Jhonny Severino

22. Luis Lara

23. Logan Henderson

24. Robert Moore

25. Russ Smith

26. Abner Uribe

27. Zavier Warren

28. Victor Castaneda

29. Joe Gray Jr

30. Freddy Zamora

1 hour ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

I kind of did a little scan of the ballots, and 10 players have been on every ballot, two on all but one and two on all but two. I counted 40 players receiving votes. In my opinion the best not to receive a vote yet (unless I missed him): Alexander Cornielle

Yeah, seems like there are about 14-15 "consensus" guys in whatever order, then something like that same number of guys competing for the last few spots in the Top 20.

Between that and the first two picks in the draft this year likely struggling to crack the Top 10 really speaks to how much the depth of the system has improved over the last couple two tree years,

• Like 1
  • WHOA SOLVDD 1

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

01 Jackson Chourio

02 Sal Frelick

03 Joey Wiemer

04 Brice Turang

05 Garrett Mitchell

06 Esteury Ruiz

07 Tyler Black 

08 Robert Gasser

09 Ethan Small

10 Jeferson Quero

11 Eric Brown Jr.

12 Jacob Misiorowski

13 Felix Valerio

14 Hendry Mendez 

15 Eduardo Garcia

16 Hedbert Perez

17 Mario Feliciano

18 Jace Avina

19 Carlos Rodriguez (P)

20 Cam Devanney

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I haven't been this jazzed about our top 8 - 10 since Braun, Fielder, Weeks, Hart, Hardy era

• Like 3
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This is excellent … I love seeing everyone’s thoughts on out top prospects 

Why do most (if not all) have Eric Brown so low?

I believe Wiemer is ranked too high in most lists

I also believe Frelick is almost ready for a big league opportunity - even though he’s only been in Nashville for a week

5 minutes ago, edfunderburk said:

For me, I have a difficult time placing recent draftees without seeing them in game action for a bit. Brown Jr.'s funky batting stance + a number of other middle infielders in the system that I'm high on (Turang, Black, Garcia, etc) keep Brown Jr. lower for now, but by the time the September rankings roll around and he's had some action in Carolina, I could see him moving up a decent amount.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, edfunderburk said:

This is excellent … I love seeing everyone’s thoughts on out top prospects 

I also believe Frelick is almost ready for a big league opportunity - even though he’s only been in Nashville for a week

For me on Brown I almost focus on bonus over draft position so I had Misiorowski above him, and then it was just a case of liking the other guys enough where I am holding off on ranking Brown higher until he gets some full season at bats in.

• Like 1

I just read the thread beginning to end

I’m not as informed as most of you, but I’m curious as to why most (if not all) have Joe Gray ranked ahead of Tristen Lutz

I read an article about Gray’s eye surgery causing more harm that good … that alone drops him out of my Top 30

Lutz has rebounded this year with a solid season

What makes Gray a better prospect than Lutz?

What MLB players are comparable to each of these prospects?

Given the earlier "debate" about Ruiz's standing in the prospect pecking order, this seems like a decent place to put this:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edfunderburk said:

I just read the thread beginning to end

I’m not as informed as most of you, but I’m curious as to why most (if not all) have Joe Gray ranked ahead of Tristen Lutz

I read an article about Gray’s eye surgery causing more harm that good … that alone drops him out of my Top 30

Lutz has rebounded this year with a solid season

What makes Gray a better prospect than Lutz?

What MLB players are comparable to each of these prospects?

I have them virtually identical. They have the same biggest issue (strikeouts). Lutz has more consistent success but Gray is younger and has athleticism/defense advantages.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

For me on Brown I almost focus on bonus over draft position so I had Misiorowski above him, and then it was just a case of liking the other guys enough where I am holding off on ranking Brown higher until he gets some full season at bats in.

I also put Misiorowski one spot ahead of Brown, but one thing to keep in mind about the bonus is that Misiorowski had a bit more leverage in negotiating a bonus than Brown. By ensuring him such a large bonus the Brewers likely did what they had to do from a financial bonus perspective to make sure another team drafting ahead of them didn’t take Misiorowski. 

Not just “at Night” anymore.

38 minutes ago, Eye Black said:

I also put Misiorowski one spot ahead of Brown, but one thing to keep in mind about the bonus is that Misiorowski likely  had a more leverage in negotiating a bonus than Brown. By ensuring him such a large bonus the Brewers likely did what they had to do from a financial bonus perspective to make sure another team drafting ahead of them didn’t take Misiorowski. 

This was interesting this year.  I slotted Misiorowski slightly ahead of Brown as well mainly because Misiorowski has elite velocity.  Brown looks to be all around very solid, perhaps in the Frelick mold with his make up, so I am quite excited to see how he develops.  I agree with other posters as to why Brown is slotting in lower being because we just have so many more known, highly touted, prospects right now.

2 hours ago, edfunderburk said:

He may be getting a pass by some as he has been playing through injury this year.  He still has great raw power potential.  And it pains me to say this as the proud owner of a Joey Weimer autographed, game-worn, Shuckers jersey, but I do have some concern about the strikeout rate with him.

• Like 1

As always, I'll go back to this list in this week and realize I missed a few players - apologies up front. All I can really say as the DSL and the ACL have progressed, the draft and the Deadline have passed, is I suddenly feel quite a bit better about the System. Even with the loss of Peters and Kelly, there's a lot of intriguing developments happening across many a Level. And, surely, this list is fraught with forgetfulness and mistakes. BUT, I'll throw my cap in the proverbial dugout:

(1) Jackson Chourio

(2) Sal Frelick

(3) Garrett Mitchell

(4) Brice Turang

(5) Esteury Ruiz

(6) Tyler Black

(7) Hendry Mendez

(8) Robert Gasser

(9) Joey Wiemer

(10) Eric Brown Jr.

(11) Jacob Misiorowski

(12) Ethan Small

(13) Jeferson Quero

(14) Jadher Areinamo

(15) Cam Devanney

(16) Kevin Briceno 

(17) Yeison Perez

(18) Carlos F. Rodriguez

(19) Felix Valerio

(20) Stiven Cruz

(21) Mario Feliciano

(22) Jace Avina

(23) Jakson Reetz

(24) Justin Jarvis

(25) Zavier Warren

(26) Cam Robinson

(27) Ryan Middendorf

(28) Robert Moore

(29) Eduardo Garcia

(30) Alexander Cornielle

13 minutes ago, RedStickBrew said:

He may be getting a pass by some as he has been playing through injury this year.  He still has great raw power potential.  And it pains me to say this as the proud owner of a Joey Weimer autographed, game-worn, Shuckers jersey, but I do have some concern about the strikeout rate with him.

He dropped quite a bit this round for me. And, the injury is my primary concern. This is now recurring - it appears to be the same ongoing thumb/hand thing that arose when he was shut down in the Arizona Fall League last year. I am guesstimating here (I don't have any real knowledge of the situation), but I would 'imagine' this is what sent him down for a time with the Shuckers and what recurred in an AB versus Montgomery. With that, we've seen a severe slump and a precipitous drop-off in power. Everything else is there: the athleticism, the defense, the arm. All wonderful. But, the ongoing hand thing is quite worrisome. It's a bummer. I hope he regains his form but I certainly don't see it as a certainty...even if I'm simply going off of speculation here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joseph Zarr said:

As always, I'll go back to this list in this week and realize I missed a few players -

I see you did not have Hedbert Perez ranked.  He has had a rough year so far, I assume you are not as bullish on his future as some?

20 minutes ago, Joseph Zarr said:

He dropped quite a bit this round for me. And, the injury is my primary concern. This is now recurring - it appears to be the same ongoing thumb/hand thing that arose when he was shut down in the Arizona Fall League last year. I am guesstimating here (I don't have any real knowledge of the situation), but I would 'imagine' this is what sent him down for a time with the Shuckers and what recurred in an AB versus Montgomery. With that, we've seen a severe slump and a precipitous drop-off in power. Everything else is there: the athleticism, the defense, the arm. All wonderful. But, the ongoing hand thing is quite worrisome. It's a bummer. I hope he regains his form but I certainly don't see it as a certainty...even if I'm simply going off of speculation here.

He may need Braun’s kryo-therapy (or whatever it was called)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedStickBrew said:

I see you did not have Hedbert Perez ranked.  He has had a rough year so far, I assume you are not as bullish on his future as some?

Well, I'm not 'out of my Top 30' bearish. LOL. Stuff like that always happens to me. I would most likely have him somewhere in my 20-30 range. I have a list of guys that could easily push guys out - Lutz, Dillard, Shook, Knarr, Russ Smith, Perez, Castañeda, Severino etc. Hence, my overarching point of I enjoy the depth of our system at present. RHP Edwin Jimenez - I continue to like what I see from him especially coming off a career-high 10 K performance. Just as I don't place much stock in Top 20-30 lists overall, I certainly don't put much stock in my own...but, I do want to participate here and join in with y'all.

37 minutes ago, Joseph Zarr said:

Just as I don't place much stock in Top 20-30 lists overall, I certainly don't put much stock in my own...but, I do want to participate here and join in with y'all.

Well, I put a lot more stock in your list than mine, especially with the younger prospects.  I was just curious what you thought of him now that his production has dropped off.  BTW, I really enjoy what you do on the Minor League forum.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RedStickBrew said:

Well, I put a lot more stock in your list than mine, especially with the younger prospects.  I was just curious what you thought of him now that his production has dropped off.  BTW, I really enjoy what you do on the Minor League forum.

Thanks for the share - I certainly appreciate positive feedback! Jim, Daniel, and I work diligently to provide decent coverage of the prospects for Brewers fans all over. To that end, my over-arching point is (and @damuelletouched on this in today's 'Game Thread'): Every one of our young prospects are legitimate prospects. Any one of them can get hot at any time - Zavier Warren our most recent example with his scorching hot week. Joey Wiemer was unbelievably good for a season plus and then, well, he ran into an unforgiving frustrating period at the plate and I want again re-iterate I have zero idea if it is a lingering hand issue there. It could very well just be a really bad slump.

I understand the Brewers personnel department and organization at large has/have so much more insight into their players than I ever will. Guys get promoted all the time I find 'surprising' - Reidy Mercado the most recent example into the outfield at Wisconsin (listed as a 'Catcher' by MIlB). Terence Doston was promoted well beyond where we thought he'd go but he continues to do good things when given opportunities. I trust the right guys will make it to the right destinations - at each Level they reach and each organization they travel to; whether it be a Brewers-only experience or, as in the case of Peters and Kelly most recently, with other ball clubs. I could flip a coin on pretty much every prospect, in my humble opinion, beyond the top 10-12 players. And, even in those top 10-12, I could probably toss a coin. I just don't place much value on my list. What I place value in is watching these guys play and sharing my excitement with each and every one of the fans. TJ Shook had a fantastic start this past week, Nash Walters went un-scored upon out of the Shuckers bullpen for over a month, Victor Castañeda just had a great bounce-back performance, the aforementioned Zavier Warren hot streak is and has been unreal but he's always had the approach to pull something like this off, Edwin Jimenez's 10K performance felt like a sort of validation of what I've been saying for the last several months (that he has some savvy and some interesting tools to work with), James Meeker's current work holding down the T-Rats closer role is phenomenal, Miguel Guerrero taking his re-assignment with class and excellence, Eduarqui Fernandez cutting back on his strikeouts in the past few games and on and on and on. Every week something incredible happens and every evening something surprises me. I understand the Prospect Tracker is something we do and will do. And, I will participate. But, I really don't place much value in it. I place value in the players given their all and trying to make it.

Thank you for listening to my Prospect Ted Talk. ?

13 hours ago, Eye Black said:

I also put Misiorowski one spot ahead of Brown, but one thing to keep in mind about the bonus is that Misiorowski had a bit more leverage in negotiating a bonus than Brown. By ensuring him such a large bonus the Brewers likely did what they had to do from a financial bonus perspective to make sure another team drafting ahead of them didn’t take Misiorowski. 

Same here. I'm still refining ~18-35(it gets tough)...but I had Brown at ~12 IIRC and Misiorowski in the top 10.

I'm always going to put guys who can throw 102 with a 2nd pitch that CAN be nasty high on my list. Even if there's not a whole lot of tangible evidence at this level yet to validate that ranking. But hell, this is all projection...so prioritizing upside over the likelihood of just making it, it tracks with how I view prospects.

I'll add...I was VERY excited to read the reviews of Gasser's 1st start...I think he'll get a late adjustment from 12th to maybe 9th. 

5 hours ago, UpandIn said:

I'll add...I was VERY excited to read the reviews of Gasser's 1st start...I think he'll get a late adjustment from 12th to maybe 9th. 

I certainly can't state it as fact, but I'm of the belief that Gasser was the higher priority than Ruiz in the Hader deal. That's not saying they don't like Ruiz, but I believe Ruiz was more of a "hey this kid is having a boom year, let's take a shot that there might be something there" type. Stearns twice has gone straight to Gasser when asked about the prospects they got back. Talked about having targeted him in the draft...

Stearns also had this high praise...

Hogg's inadvertent name swap aside, that's a pretty bold statement.

• Like 1