Brewer Fanatic

Roster Movement/Speculation Discussion Thread

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers Unfiltered Podcast: Latest episode with Adam McCalvy, Tim Dillard and Brad Ford -What should you know about Jackson Chourio’s rise as an elite prospect? How impressive has Sal Frelick been in Triple-A? Who are some of the top names to know in the system? VP of Minor League Operations Tom Flanagan joined the pod to answer those questions and more!

That would be aggressive for sure. Wonder if a Frelick/Turang promotion is coming and they are backfilling up? Also in anticipation of losing Reetz? Could be a number of things I suppose
Hm. Frelick/Turang both still in the lineup today so probably not that. Curious what this is.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
12 minutes ago, ARobsBrewCrew said:

Welp, that is why I posted in here.  Chourio and Quero both had some minor injury concerns that were checked out by Brewers medical staff in Milwaukee.  They are headed back to Cedar Rapids (and not Biloxi :() to rejoin the team.

You did exactly the right thing and we greatly appreciate you for it. Something was certainly up and it was hard to say exactly.

With only two more days of DSL and ACL games after today, I assume we won’t see 2022 debuts of Jacob Misiorowski, Will Rudy, Nate Peterson, Aidan Maldonado, Will Childers or Mason Vinyard.

The most we can probably hope for is a few ACL players move up to Low-A Carolina, e.g. Tyler Woessner, Cameron Wagoner, Matthew Wood (if healthy), Satchell Norman, Dylan O’Rae, Quinton Low, Tayden Hall, Daniel Guilarte.

With Alexander recalled to the Brewers and Otero released, I’m thinking:

- Castaneda to AAA
- Floyd to AA
- Cornielle to High-A

Also watching for a possible promotion of Monasterio back up to AAA, depending on availability of Pablo Reyes

6 hours ago, ClosetBrewerFan said:

Reetz opt out clause confirmed by MLB trade rumors: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/brewers-designate-jakson-reetz-for-assignment.html

I find it odd that no one claimed him either.  But these teams know way more than I do.  He will definitely get an opportunity to sign on with someone else, but we will see if he can succeed in the majors.

Manny Pina didn't get a shot until he was 29.

1 hour ago, Robocaller said:

so we lost Reetz because Mario was able to get to MKE (or wherever they were playing) quicker? Otherwise, Reetz could have gotten called up and played a couple of games before being sent back down.

I think the organization ranks who they want catching in the major leagues in 2022 as: 1) Narvaez, 2) Caratini, 3) Severino, 4) Jackson, 5) Feliciano, 6) Reetz.

But we DFA'd Severino on August 3 to clear space for new acquisitions.

That same evening, Narvaez got injured, thus putting the Brewers in a precarious position depth-wise, since Severino was now in DFA-limbo and Jackson was already out with an injury.

This situation forced Feliciano to the majors on August 4, while Reetz and his agent also saw an opportunity to use the Brewers' depth vulnerability to their advantage by indicating he'd opt out if he was not added to the 40-man roster (note this is purely deduction/speculation on my part). So the Brewers added him that same day, but kept him in the minors since they rank Feliciano (who's played in AAA all year) ahead of Reetz (who's played in AA most of the year).

However, things changed when Pedro Severino cleared waivers and accepted an outright assignment to remain in the organization, helping restore catching-depth.

Two weeks later, when the time came to either reinstate JC Mejia to the 40-man roster or DFA someone, Reetz is the one who got the ax. And this was even in spite of Jackson's on-again, off-again injury situation. The Brewers obviously value Mejia, an injured Jackson and other depth pieces (e.g. Justin Topa, Luis Perdomo, Pablo Reyes, Jonathan Davis, etc.) more than Reetz.

2 hours ago, damuelle said:

- RHP Cam Robinson promoted to AAA Nashville from AA Biloxi
- RHP Nash Walters promoted to AAA Nashville from AA Biloxi
- RHP Justin Jarvis promoted to AA Biloxi from High-A Wisconsin
- RHP Ryan Middendorf promoted to AA Biloxi from High-A Wisconsin
- RHP Robbie Baker promoted to AA Biloxi from High-A Wisconsin
- RHP Jeison Pena promoted to High-A Wisconsin from Low-A Carolina
- RHP Miguel Guerrero promoted to High-A Wisconsin from Low-A Carolina
- RHP Brannon Jordan promoted to High-A Wisconsin from Low-A Carolina
- RHP Alexander Cornielle promoted to High-A Wisconsin from Low-A Carolina
- 2B Zack Raabe promoted to High-A Wisconsin from Low-A Carolina
- RHP Max Lazar sent on rehab assignment to ACL Brewers Blue from High-A Wisconsin
- LHP Justin King sent on rehab assignment to ACL Brewers Blue from High-A Wisconsin
- INF Erick Reyes transferred to DSL Brewers-1 from DSL Brewers-2     

Some real aggressiveness in the promotions lately. Like to see it, especially Robinson going to N'ville.

The Middendorf odyssey continues!! Keep rollin' young man.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, damuelle said:

I think the organization ranks who they want catching in the major leagues in 2022 as: 1) Narvaez, 2) Caratini, 3) Severino, 4) Jackson, 5) Feliciano, 6) Reetz.

I feel that the only reason feliciano was brought up was he was with the taxi squad and they needed someone available immediately in case Caratini got hurt in the next game.

So, with Raabe headed to Wisconsin...and Acosta getting another nod in RF...I wonder if Ayrault will give Zack some nods in the lead-off spot while playing 2B in rotation? OR, will Darrien Miller continue to hold that down?

Will we see an aggressive end-of-season placement for any of the hot-hitting ACL Brewers? I'm looking at Luke Adams, Quinton Low, Dylan O'Rae, Miguel Briceno, Daniel Guillarte, Jheremy Vargas (for obvious reasons), Kaylan Nicasia, Johnnys Cabrera, Jose Caballero, and Alexander Perez as possible candidates. Complete speculation on my part, I should add.

Will any of our pitching draft picks and UDFA signings get the nod? I always love this last half month to month of the season.

I'd predict 1B/RHP Quinton Low and LHP Brian Fitzpatrick to get the call to Low-A Carolina, along with two more pitchers (e.g. from amongst Merkel, Beymer, Shane Smith, Wehrle, Brady, Logan Adams, Wagoner, Brustoski).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joseph Zarr said:

So, with Raabe headed to Wisconsin...and Acosta getting another nod in RF...I wonder if Ayrault will give Zack some nods in the lead-off spot while playing 2B in rotation? OR, will Darrien Miller continue to hold that down?

Will we see an aggressive end-of-season placement for any of the hot-hitting ACL Brewers? I'm looking at Luke Adams, Quinton Low, Dylan O'Rae, Miguel Briceno, Daniel Guillarte, Jheremy Vargas (for obvious reasons), Kaylan Nicasia, Johnnys Cabrera, Jose Caballero, and Alexander Perez as possible candidates. Complete speculation on my part, I should add.

Will any of our pitching draft picks and UDFA signings get the nod? I always love this last half month to month of the season.

I think you'd have to see more promotions to get more than one of the infielders up at Carolina. Brown, Moore and Areinamo are probably taking the infield at-bats the rest of the way and the five outfielders will gobble up most of the DH chances.

19 minutes ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

I think you'd have to see more promotions to get more than one of the infielders up at Carolina. Brown, Moore and Areinamo are probably taking the infield at-bats the rest of the way and the five outfielders will gobble up most of the DH chances.

I certainly don't disagree with you here. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out - if anything even happens. 

Excluding short-season leagues, healthy players having the best seasons who haven't been promoted yet (might be missing a few, these are just who popped into my head):

Pitchers: James Meeker, Pablo Garabitos, Michele Vassalotti

HItters: Cam Devanney, Darrien Miller, Tristen Lutz

Lutz is blocked by the three other promotees, and Miller might have been promoted were it not for Quero's injury, but mildly surprised that none of the others have gotten bumped up to the next level yet.

I had completely stopped following Yerlin Rodriguez’s stats after his rough start as a starter, but it looks like he has been much better lately in relief. Not a promotion I expected but adds another name to the long list of pitching possibilities at Carolina and Wisconsin next season.

16 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

I dig how liberal the Brewers have been about promoting their top prospects this season. They obviously really like Gasser, judging by the (very) short stay he had in AA ball. At his rate of ascent, he's setting up to possibly be the next future rotation guy who cuts his teeth in the MLB pen next season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

I dig how liberal the Brewers have been about promoting their top prospects this season. They obviously really like Gasser, judging by the (very) short stay he had in AA ball. At his rate of ascent, he's setting up to possibly be the next future rotation guy who cuts his teeth in the MLB pen next season.

It was quite obvious from his first start in Biloxi: he's already our best pitching prospect by a fair measure. Everything he does is controlled and repeatable. He also clearly has a highly competitive and fiery personality. I am extremely excited to see what he does as he matures some and continues fine-tuning his stuff. His cutter to slider combo is downright scary.

A refresher might be due: Hear from the Gas Man Himself

• Like 1