Brewer Fanatic

Roster Movement/Speculation Discussion Thread

Mass Haas

During the January 2021 signing period, BrewCrewBall posted an initial list of 16 players signed by the Brewers. With the Areinamo and Castillo promotions, that make fully 1/4 of that list in full-season ball before they even complete their second professional season. 

It wouldn't shock me if that increases to half of the class by the start of next year, with Vallecillo and Aquino seeming like locks to be in Carolina next season if healthy, and Guilarte and Barrios having a decent shot depending on how the infield spots shake out. Guzman, Serrano and Albir all could easily eventually make it up there as well, even if not immediately to start the season.

• Like 3

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
1 hour ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

During the January 2021 signing period, BrewCrewBall posted an initial list of 16 players signed by the Brewers. With the Areinamo and Castillo promotions, that make fully 1/4 of that list in full-season ball before they even complete their second professional season. 

It wouldn't shock me if that increases to half of the class by the start of next year, with Vallecillo and Aquino seeming like locks to be in Carolina next season if healthy, and Guilarte and Barrios having a decent shot depending on how the infield spots shake out. Guzman, Serrano and Albir all could easily eventually make it up there as well, even if not immediately to start the season.

This, Is. Awesome. 

On 8/1/2022 at 11:21 PM, CheeseheadInQC said:

Make that five with Vallecillo.

On 8/1/2022 at 11:21 PM, CheeseheadInQC said:

Yeah. I know that the Brewers haven't been that involved in the International scene for very long, but I can't remember the last time that they had this many players that were performing so well in the DSL. And many of them aren't 20-year-old DSL retreads, either.

Long gone are the days of dreaming on our singular, Hernan "The Hurricane" Iribarren. Currently, they probably have 10 guys that are better prospects than he was.

53 minutes ago, PlayerHader said:

Typically college draft picks will see A-ball this summer yet, correct? I haven’t followed this much in the past.

6 of our top 7 drafted college hitters saw time in Low-A last season (Frelick, Black, Binelas, Murray, Raabe, Clarke).

In theory, that bodes well for Brown, Moore, Wood and Metzinger. But let’s see.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ARobsBrewCrew said:

Posting here because I’m currently waiting on another confirmation, but word is that Eric Brown, Jr. and Branlyn Jaraba are headed to Carolina.  There may be others moving up with them as well although it looks like just the duo at the moment.

That would be aggressive for both players.

2 hours ago, Robocaller said:

That would be aggressive for both players.

Not really aggressive for Brown Jr. They usually get a few games at rookie ball and then it's off to full season ball. 

Frelick played 4 games(much worse K rate than Brown) and then was bumped up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ARobsBrewCrew said:

Posting here because I’m currently waiting on another confirmation, but word is that Eric Brown, Jr. and Branlyn Jaraba are headed to Carolina.  There may be others moving up with them as well although it looks like just the duo at the moment.

Thank you. If they make the move on Branlyn Jaraba, I would hope it'd be in connection with a concurrent promotion of Yeison Perez to ACL ball, though it might just be to create room for Tayden Hall to play more first base.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, damuelle said:

Thank you. If they make the move on Branlyn Jaraba, I would hope it'd be in connection with a concurrent promotion of Yeison Perez to ACL ball, though it might just be to create room for Tayden Hall to play more first base.

With it just officially announced Robert Moore to Carolina and Ben Metzinger to Wisconsin, one might wonder: is Zach Raabe on the move to Wisconsin? Is Zavier Warren taking that recent hot streak to Biloxi? Is the Ethan Murray injury serious? 

3 hours ago, Joseph Zarr said:

With it just officially announced Robert Moore to Carolina and Ben Metzinger to Wisconsin, one might wonder: is Zach Raabe on the move to Wisconsin? Is Zavier Warren taking that recent hot streak to Biloxi? Is the Ethan Murray injury serious? 

I think we'd have seen such theoretical moves (e.g. Raabe, Warren) announced today, so I'm not expecting more position player announcements tomorrow.

Ditto on anyone coming up from DSL to ACL - such moves grow our total stateside roster, forcing us to release players, so it appears the team (understandably) wants to postpone these. Looking back, this probably affected Chourio, Areinamo, Vallecillo and Cruz last year, as none were promoted to ACL in 2021. This year, it's likely to keep Yeison Perez, Osbriel Mogollon, Anfernny Reyes and Jerel Vizcaino down in the DSL, it seems, though the players can take comfort in the possible fast-track to Low-A Carolina in 2023.

So I think that tomorrow's moves will be on the pitching side - e.g. filling Russell Smith's injury gap; possible placements of recently drafted pitchers (though they like to postpone most of these placements to next year as well).

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 10:06 AM, damuelle said:

6 of our top 7 drafted college hitters saw time in Low-A last season (Frelick, Black, Binelas, Murray, Raabe, Clarke).

In theory, that bodes well for Brown, Moore, Wood and Metzinger. But let’s see.

Binelas has been putting together a real solid season this year in HiA, struggled in AA, but all told, 

.208/.317/.444 with 22 HRs and 8/0 SB/CS with most of his production coming at HiA...but man, as much as I'd like to see him in the farm
system manning 3rd with black at 2nd, pretty good bargain to unload JBJ and get Renfroe back. Hamilton on the other hand...He's also
been playing almost exclusively 
1B and in AA from what I can tell. So the questionable glove hasn't played up.
Hamilton, he's...stolen a lot of bases, little power, but an incredible deal. 

Great deal by Stearns, though slightly off topic.

38 minutes ago, Mass Haas said:

Be sure to check out the Antoine Kelly and Tristan Peters analyses as well

That's amazing detail on Gasser, Ruiz, Kelly and Peters. I certainly feel better about swapping out Kelly for Gasser now. Thanks for sharing.

With the Antoine Kelly trade, coupled with Russell Smith, Max Lazar and Ryne Moore all being on the shelf, I think that 24-year old RHP Ryan Middendorf will get the chance for some High-A starts (and "long inning" work generally).

Middendorf's last outing was a 4-inning, 59-pitch relief effort on August 5th and he's been solid in his 26 innings across 3 levels (Arizona, Low-A, High-A) thus far, with a phenomenal K/9 rate (13.8), ERA (1.04) and crazy 40K / 3 BB ratio.

Of course, he was a starter at Lake Erie College and also made 24 starts for Schaumburg in the independent Frontier League in 2021 and early 2022, so this would be nothing new for him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, damuelle said:

With the Antoine Kelly trade, coupled with Russell Smith, Max Lazar and Ryne Moore all being on the shelf, I think that 24-year old RHP Ryan Middendorf will get the chance for some High-A starts (and "long inning" work generally).

Middendorf's last outing was a 4-inning, 59-pitch relief effort on August 5th and he's been solid in his 26 innings across 3 levels (Arizona, Low-A, High-A) thus far, with a phenomenal K/9 rate (13.8), ERA (1.04) and crazy 40K / 3 BB ratio.

Of course, he was a starter at Lake Erie College and also made 24 starts for Schaumburg in the independent Frontier League in 2021 and early 2022, so this would be nothing new for him.

I mentioned this at the time: 4 IP was a minor stretch for a relief arm who had essentially been given 2 IP leashes cross all Levels he has sped through. I think it's a very workable idea. As you point to: he's been a starter before. But, he also has enough tricks in his bag to make it work. And, to make it work more effectively. He has some mid-90's heat. He can tail it in either direction. He's one of my favorite stories of 2022. In other words: I completely agree and have faith he could fill whatever role the T-Rats need admirably. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 5:16 PM, Mass Haas said:

Be sure to check out the Antoine Kelly and Tristan Peters analyses as well

On Gasser:

One team source described the FC/SL pairing as the best left-handed FC/SL they’ve ever seen. I don’t know if I’d go near that far, but they do play remarkably well off of each other and as he increases the cutter velocity, it could be the pair that causes him to sit near the front of a rotation.

They chose Robert Gasser because they know he has incredibly high upside in their system. He’ll probably start off slow with his new team, but he’s going to make his name known by everyone in 2023 when he shoots up prospects lists around the league.

After seeing a nearly daily list of promotions in August, its been quiet the last few days.  I imagine the Brewers are nearly done for this year with promotions.  However, I have a few more I am hoping for this year:

Frelick to majors.  I think he is already better than Jonathan Davis.  Question will be whether the Brewers want to start his clock already.

Devanney and Vennaro to AAA.  They both have earned it.  We will see if there is an opening made available.

Vassalotti to A+.  He's been outstanding all year.  Carolina is light on pitching so this will only happen if a few ACL pitchers get promoted.

Logan Henderson and Misiorowski to A ball.  A little early yet to judge their results yet but these are two of our top pitchers so it would be cool to see them move up.

1 hour ago, ClosetBrewerFan said:

After seeing a nearly daily list of promotions in August, its been quiet the last few days.  I imagine the Brewers are nearly done for this year with promotions.  However, I have a few more I am hoping for this year:

Frelick to majors.  I think he is already better than Jonathan Davis.  Question will be whether the Brewers want to start his clock already.

Devanney and Vennaro to AAA.  They both have earned it.  We will see if there is an opening made available.

Vassalotti to A+.  He's been outstanding all year.  Carolina is light on pitching so this will only happen if a few ACL pitchers get promoted.

Logan Henderson and Misiorowski to A ball.  A little early yet to judge their results yet but these are two of our top pitchers so it would be cool to see them move up.

Start the clock on Frelick, there's little to lose.  As we've seen with others, and Keston Hiura comes immediately to mind, there are very few "can't miss" prospects and if he becomes that rare special guy, that's a good problem to have.  Let the chips fall where they fall.   Hell, they tend to draft centerfielders every other year in the draft in the event he prices himself out, anyway.  And then there's this Chuorio guy coming behind him, too. 

I don't think Frelick will come up this year, unless the bottom really drops out and the Brewers aren't in the playoff chase. Davis provides elite defense and speed on the bases (probably better than Frelick in both instances -- although that pickoff the other day left me unimpressed). Frelick's bat is no guarantee to be better than Davis's this fall either.

Bottom line, I see no benefit to "rushing" Frelick. And that has nothing to do with his clock. I've loved Frelick since they drafted him, and think he'll be manning CF perhaps as early as next spring.

17 hours ago, ClosetBrewerFan said:

I think that most bats have already been promoted (Chourio, Quero, Garcia, AA->AAA outfield trio, Avina), but that we'll still see pitching moves.

And this is borne out by some of the moves just posted - e.g. Stiven Cruz and Yujanyer Herrera have been promoted. I still think we may see the likes of Victor Castaneda, Justin Jarvis, Luis Contreras, James Meeker, Alexander Cornielle, Michele Vassalotti (who you mentioned), Pablo Garabitos, Tyler Woessner, Quinton Low, Arielbi Gonzalez and Will Rudy get an opportunity for a step up this year, while Nash Walters and Robbie Baker are solid candidates who may be held back by being near free agency.

Frelick is better than Davis.  I don't think Brewers can afford to keep guys like Frelick and Chourio languishing in the minors longer than necessary to delay start of their clocks.  Look at the return the Nats got for Soto.  If they have to deal him in 4 years, the younger he is the better.  Frelick could provide a boost to the offense in a playoff race.  At worst he gets a head start in adjusting to the majors heading into next season.