Brewer Fanatic

Roster Movement/Speculation Discussion Thread

Mass Haas

Hoping for Devanney, Frelick, and Lutz to AAA.  To make room at AAA, there will be some releases to make room.

As for pitchers: Vassalotti, Morales, and Garabitos and maybe Jordan, Cornielle, and Rodriguez to A+.  Kelly and Jarvis to AA.  Not sure if any AA guys go to AAA.  I expect some releases like Hernandez and Zavolas; veterans that are not performing well.

Definitely think the deadline will impact some of these moves but hope Frelick is at least upto AAA. I wonder if they don't find someone who they think can play CF at the MLB level that Frelick could be an option there later in the year if he performs for the next month or so at Nashville? Certainly a glass half full point of view on Frelick but I think he'd be one of those guys who could come up and be ok at the MLB level. Interested to see how this all shakes out over the next few days.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
39 minutes ago, ClosetBrewerFan said:

I expect some releases like veterans that are not performing well.

I am not saying explicitly we’ll delete posts or such, but we have long tried to refrain from speculating on releases.

Let’s leave that to the big leaguers who have made their coin and had their moment.

• Like 2

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If the rumors are true of promotions of Antoine Kelly and Justin Jarvis, I’d watch for Carlos F. Rodriguez to jump to High-A and Victor Castaneda to scoot up to AAA.

Clearly Sal Frelick and possibly also Garrett Mitchell should get the call to AAA Nashville, where the outfield is something of a patchwork after the departures of David Dahl and Abraham Almonte.

19 minutes ago, damuelle said:

If the rumors are true of promotions of Antoine Kelly and Justin Jarvis, I’d watch for Carlos F. Rodriguez to jump to High-A and Victor Castaneda to scoot up to AAA.

Clearly Sal Frelick and possibly also Garrett Mitchell should get the call to AAA Nashville, where the outfield is something of a patchwork after the departures of David Dahl and Abraham Almonte.

Think they leave Castaneda in the rotation if they promote him or with the rule 5 decision coming up use the AAA time to see how his stuff plays out of the pen?

5 minutes ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

Think they leave Castaneda in the rotation if they promote him or with the rule 5 decision coming up use the AAA time to see how his stuff plays out of the pen?

Rotation. Remember he held up well in 3 games (2 starts) in AAA last year. Small, Alexander, Boushley, File, Castaneda, Lindblom.

This is all speculation, of course.

If the tweet circling about Mitchell, Frelick, Wiemer is true, that is really fascinating. Leaves Lutz and Peters in AA. Valerio can also play the OF some. Joe Gray hasn't performed particulary well but wonder if they might force the issue there and promote him? 

14 minutes ago, TheeAirbender said:

If the tweet circling about Mitchell, Frelick, Wiemer is true, that is really fascinating. Leaves Lutz and Peters in AA. Valerio can also play the OF some. Joe Gray hasn't performed particulary well but wonder if they might force the issue there and promote him? 

Campbell is also in AA. Tweet stems from here, so it looks quite promising: 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheeAirbender said:

I will admit I briefly had the "wait, they aren't promoting Chourio again already" thought.

• Like 1
  • WHOA SOLVDD 1

39 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

Pretty cool! I was expecting Frelick to get the bump but not Mitchell and certainly not Wiemer. 

Remember, friends, Wiemer was red hot before his hand injury. He had been red hot for more than a year and he now has 25 SB to pair with his usual excellent defense. He's in a slump. This happens. It stinks, as we all know, but they happen. BUT, let's not act like the recent play (and it has been magnificent)  of Mitchell and Frelick suddenly extirpates the absurd play we saw from Joey for a year and a half. This all balances itself out. I, for one, am extremely happy all three young men move together and get the chance together. 

I'll tell you this, with Manfred's Man on 2B tonight...in the bottom of the 10th inning...I watched a very comfortable Joey Wiemer take a couple classically Wiemer violent swings I hadn't seen in quite some time. He looks healthy. He then took a walk. His talent hasn't suddenly left the building. At all. He just literally is in a slump. You let talents like him play through it, imho. If he's healthy, you let him find his way. It's part of the process.

My two absolutely meaningless centavos.?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, damuelle said:

Campbell is also in AA. Tweet stems from here, so it looks quite promising: 

Our new Double-A outfield is Campbell, Lutz, Peters. I have no idea how or where the Brewers will be supplementing from...but the Biloxi OF is now extremely thin. Let's remember, Felix Valerio has played LF throughout the year. They might send Reetz back down? Hard to tell. Either way, this is just extremely exciting for our three current top OF prospects. Do they 'demote' Corey Ray (?). I don't imagine they'd do so...but they really have absolutely zero CF'ers in Biloxi. This rotating 'thin' amongst the clubs is a thing. It's hard to fathom the meeting notes in the personnel departments, eh?

Maybe they were all told to pack their bags, and in reality some of them are traded to a new team.  I’m curious how these moves would work out for High A and especially low A with Mendez probably out for at least a little while.  Seems like they might be a little short  on OF as they drafted zero OFs. Maybe Avina gets a call up as well?

11 hours ago, Joseph Zarr said:

...I watched a very comfortable Joey Wiemer take a couple classically Wiemer violent swings I hadn't seen in quite some time. He looks healthy.

I noticed the same with Weimer from the few games I saw in person this year.  It seemed that perhaps he was playing through something more than just the hand injury, like a back or oblique injury with the way his swing appeared tamed down.  I'm really happy to see him promoted and think he will continue to mash if healthy.  That AAA outfield is really exciting. Oh, and there is this Chourio guy I keep hearing about. Future looks bright in the outfield

• Like 1

Trade Watch (MLB deadline tomorrow): there were no notable absences from the DSL-1 or DSL-2 lineups this morning. In fact, DSL-2 welcomed back key prospect INF Johan Barrios, who’d missed 2 weeks due to injury.

However, 17-year old SS Juan Baez (.298 AVG, .753 OPS) left the DSL-2 game after 4 innings. Was it a pre-planned time-share? Is he injured? On the move? Die-hard fans may recall that we included DSL INF Alberto Ciprian in a deadline trade for Eduardo Escobar last year.

15 hours ago, Mass Haas said:

I am not saying explicitly we’ll delete posts or such, but we have long tried to refrain from speculating on releases.

Let’s leave that to the big leaguers who have made their coin and had their moment.

Thank you for saying this!

1.) I know a handful of farmhands that visit this site fairly regularly

2.) Every player in any organization has the ability to turn things around no matter how bad of a stretch they may endure (hat tip to my great friend and better person Arbert Cipion)

• Like 3

Brewer Fanatic Staff
  19 hours ago, zagski6 said:

Word on the street is that LHP Antoine Kelly, RHP Justin Jarvis, and OF Tristan Peters will be promoted from A+ Wisconsin to AA Biloxi this week.

Turns out that whether it is partially true or not true at all, this is not fully true, and now it has having repercussions for others  in ways that I am very much responsible of propagating via a tweet. So this is a major lesson for me, and the site, and I am humbled and saddened by my action, but moreso for any people that were caused pain and inconvenience by it throughout the Brewers organization, and there were several.

(We do know Tristan Peters call-up will be happening, announced by Manager Joe Ayrault.)

It is not an excuse that we get caught up in Trade Rumors season and such, and whether it spills over to the minor league side of things. We will not be able to always immediately moderate posts like the one quoted here, but if we do see a post like this, the moderators will be quick (as we can be) to remind that nothing is official until it's formally and officially announced by the organization or by the affiliates, or in rare cases, in a social media post by the player himself. In some instances, we will be hiding and removing such forum posts.

in late March, I am the first to remind everyone here that we need to wait for the formal affiliate announcements of the rosters. It is, in short, atrocious that I allowed myself to bypass that train of thought here. Lesson learned the hard way.

To anyone impacted, I sincerely apologize. We and in particular myself, will do better moving forward.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ARobsBrewCrew said:

Thank you for saying this!

1.) I know a handful of farmhands that visit this site fairly regularly

2.) Every player in any organization has the ability to turn things around no matter how bad of a stretch they may endure (hat tip to my great friend and better person Arbert Cipion)

Hear ye', hear ye', hear ye'. Love every aspect of you and Jim talking about this. There are people who are paid to make decisions and there are young men all striving for the same goal(s) of making it and sticking to the 'Big Leagues'. I'd like to support each and every one of us here refraining from speculating on career-altering decisions like a 'release'. And, in the interim, enjoy Minor League baseball. The sacrifices these young men make to pursue their dreams is nothing short of amazing as far as I'm concerned. I hope each and every one of the Brewers players reaches their potential. 

• Like 2

Another Trade Watch (MLB deadline tomorrow): there were no notable absences from the ACL Blue or ACL Gold lineups this evening, though it’s worth mentioning the promotions of INF Jadher Areinamo and OF Luis Castillo to Carolina.

However, 18-year old SS Daniel Guilarte (.312 AVG, .781 OPS) left the ACL Blue game after 2 innings. Was it a pre-planned time-share? Is he injured? On the move?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Joseph Zarr said:

Remember, friends, Wiemer was red hot before his hand injury. He had been red hot for more than a year and he now has 25 SB to pair with his usual excellent defense. He's in a slump. This happens. It stinks, as we all know, but they happen. BUT, let's not act like the recent play (and it has been magnificent)  of Mitchell and Frelick suddenly extirpates the absurd play we saw from Joey for a year and a half. This all balances itself out. I, for one, am extremely happy all three young men move together and get the chance together. 

I'll tell you this, with Manfred's Man on 2B tonight...in the bottom of the 10th inning...I watched a very comfortable Joey Wiemer take a couple classically Wiemer violent swings I hadn't seen in quite some time. He looks healthy. He then took a walk. His talent hasn't suddenly left the building. At all. He just literally is in a slump. You let talents like him play through it, imho. If he's healthy, you let him find his way. It's part of the process.

My two absolutely meaningless centavos.?

But you don't promote a guy in a slump for over a month.

52 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

But you don't promote a guy in a slump for over a month.

Well, I don't ever promote players. The organization does?

I hear you. And, hey, maybe that was a pre-emptive and meaningless hearsay tweet. I don't know. Nothing has been officially announced and the trade deadline is obviously still here.

What I am saying overall is: I'm not judging Joey Wiemer's season or his future off a slump post-IL return. It's been rough, sure. I'm sure he feels it more than any one of us.  There've been moments where he's looked tentative and unsure and when his hand has appeared to be an issue. Last night? i didn't see that at all. Last night, I saw the Joey Wiemer of earlier 2022.