Brewer Fanatic

Josh Hader Trade Rumors (again)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10043935-mlb-trade-rumors-brewers-josh-hader-receiving-interest-ahead-of-deadline

Reports that Brewers are getting calls on Hader.

I can't see it happening, unless its some 3 team scenario where Hader goes for prospects & then those prospects are immediately flipped for a hitter.

Unlikely, but still some entertaining speculation. 

If they don't make a significant move to get some offense, they must trade Hader.  Not adding offense is an admission that they are content with just making the playoffs.  He's losing value everyday that he is on the roster.

59 minutes ago, alwz4gbp said:

If they don't make a significant move to get some offense, they must trade Hader.  Not adding offense is an admission that they are content with just making the playoffs.  He's losing value everyday that he is on the roster.

It all depends on the quality of the offers. Have we ever seen an actual offer?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Since there's smoke around Hader, let's get wild.

Yankees get:

Josh Hader

Brewers get:

Juan Soto

Nationals get:

Jackson Chourio

Aaron Ashby

Anthony Volpe

Ethan Small

Yankees Prospect

Who says no first? Everyone? I think probably the Yankees don't give up Volpe for Hader. Brewers lose two big leaguers but they lighten to load of prospects lost (none of the outfielders) and are lost from positions of strength. You could also swap out Small for like Turang or someone.

1 hour ago, wibadgers23 said:

Contending teams don’t trade their all-star closers at the deadline. This would be a shocker.

I understand that line of thinking but are they truly contenders with this offense?  If the answer is no, then you sell off a valuable piece for a piece.  Being "pretty good" and having Hader is not going to get you to the Series.  It will get you knocked out in the 1st or second round.  

1 minute ago, alwz4gbp said:

I understand that line of thinking but are they truly contenders with this offense?  If the answer is no, then you sell off a valuable piece for a piece.  Being "pretty good" and having Hader is not going to get you to the Series.  It will get you knocked out in the 1st or second round.  

Also it's a massive oversimplification of the situation. The Brewers have another relief pitcher who is arguably better than Hader, and definitely cheaper than Hader. Having two legit closers is a luxury and if one can fill other holes immediately it might be worth it to spread out those assets into other areas of the team. It's not like they would trade Hader for exclusively minor league guys.

15 minutes ago, alwz4gbp said:

Well, 102 games into the season they're in first place even though they've sustained a lot of injuries, so I'd say that would list them as "contenders." We continually get proof, including Atlanta last year, that in the playoffs it's the team that gets hot at the right time that wins it all. 

I would be surprised if we get through trade deadline without doing something, but even if we stand pat, we have a team that could beat any other team in any given series, and absolutely could "get hot at the right time" and win it all.

It would certainly be surprising if Hader were traded. The only way it happens is if they receive an offer that is so crazy they can't turn it down.

• Like 3

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

25 minutes ago, alwz4gbp said:

The Brewers are 6th in MLB in runs scored & 13th in runs allowed.

The offense is the reason this team has a three game division lead in the first place.

• Like 1

The Brewers have reportedly been willing to listen to offers on Hader for it seems like 2 years now so not really news.  I would be fine if they got a couple of nice prospects at this point, we can make other trades to make up for the loss for this season's race. I doubt his July struggles have affected his value much with his long track record and obviously it helps their payroll situation going forward to move him. It wouldn't shock me to see him traded but I am sure they still want an overpay.   

Would think a Hader trade included a team's current RP that's maybe a 7th or 8th inning current guy with 4+yes team control. If we're bumping Williams to 9th inning role they need a decent option for 7th/8th.  Then the headline prospect coming back has to be an upcoming bat. And another hardthrowing SP/RP in the minors.

Maybe they have to trade Hader in order to fit Soto into the payroll for this year and next year ?

• WHOA SOLVDD 1

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I know there is no such thing as never in these type of cases, but I'd be shocked if Hader isn't a Brewer come Wednesday. That just doesn't strike me as the type of move the Brewers ever make. I think it is much more likely he is moved this offseason, when more teams are theoretically vying for him.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brewerfan82 said:

Haha, you realize the Mariners missed the playoffs in 2021.  Plus, Graveman was never an All-Star and Seattle uses a closer by committee approach. 

Sure, if someone is going to give you Mickey Mantle for Josh Hader, you make that trade. Otherwise, it's kind of counter productive to what they're trying to do as an organization to dilute their overall talent level. 

The Yankees aren't offering that.  Hader is worth one solid FV 50 or so prospect and one FV 40 at most.  He's not going to bring back a prospect that projects to be an All-Star.  Williams has arguably more trade value.

7 minutes ago, endaround said:

The Yankees aren't offering that.  Hader is worth one solid FV 50 or so prospect and one FV 40 at most.  He's not going to bring back a prospect that projects to be an All-Star.  Williams has arguably more trade value.

Proven closers have way more trade value than WAR/"trade value" would indicate. Hader has arguably the best closer in baseball over his career.

So I think he is worth a heck of a lot. The Cubs traded Gleyber Torres when he was roughly a top 10 prospect in all of baseball (plus more) for a few months of Aroldis Chapman. I don't trade Hader for less than that.

That being said, I have no idea why we would trade him when we are contending. Yes, Williams is dominant enough to take over as closer, but our bullpen is still one elite reliever less. Very rare for contending teams to trade major-league assets.

The only thing IMO that makes this even remotely possible is that they have Williams. Like Brewcrewdue80 mentioned, I think they would want someone back who would give them quality in the 7th-8th innings. That, and a difference making bat. Agree with RRbeard, this is much more likely to happen in the off-season.

oh, this is gunna be good

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

this is either a confidence move in D. Williams, or the fact our division is hot garbage, either way I am HERE for it

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

wow, haha, this is amazing

PrinceFielderx1 Said: