Brewer Fanatic

Devers

Anyone see that article on MLB.com this morning regarding trades that "should" happen that probably never will?  It had a trade suggestion of Rafael Devers going to Milwaukee in exchange for Urias, Wiemer, Russell Smith and Taylor Floyd. 

What does everyone think about this package going back to the Red Sox?  Personally, I think the Sox would want more for Devers.  I'm guessing that it might take something like: Urias, Wiemer, Kelly and Floyd.  Of course, I'm also not sure how much teams may have decreased their value on Wiemer with his recent struggles?  

Either way though - I think I'd pull the trigger on this type of a deal in a heartbeat if I were Stearns.  Can you imagine putting Devers bat in the middle of our lineup.  Giddy up!  

• Like 2

Sign me up! It'd be a little hard losing the extra couple years of control you have with Urias compared to Devers, but Devers would instantly be the best hitter on the team and it's not even that close. If you can get a guy like that on the roster for this year and next year while our pitching is still elite, you gotta do it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, endaround said:

I think this assumes that Wiemar hasn't lost a lot of value. Hard to see a guy looking to repeat AA at 24 as still a top prospect.  May have to replace him with Frelick or Mitchell but even so, yes.  

I doubt Wiemer repeats AA and if he does it is not as big of a deal as you are making it out to be.  AAA isn't really all that much more advanced than AA is.  AA has far better talent in it than AAA does unless you believe players like Kelley, Singleton and others are better talent.  AAA baseball is basically filled with players like Kelley and Singleton which are basically roster fodder for the MLB teams.  If Wiemer has to repeat AA which I doubt he will it wouldn't be this huge negative and wouldn't decrease his value all that much.  

As for a trade for Devers if this is what it would take I would do it right now but I think Boston would want something more if they are trading Devers.  

9 hours ago, brewerfan82 said:

Sign me up! It'd be a little hard losing the extra couple years of control you have with Urias compared to Devers, but Devers would instantly be the best hitter on the team and it's not even that close. If you can get a guy like that on the roster for this year and next year while our pitching is still elite, you gotta do it.

The big problem with Devers is money! He'll be making $15-18M next year in arby.  He and Yelich alone would be over 1/3 of the payroll. With all the other arby guys it just doesn't work, especially for a guy who is a one-and-done.

9 hours ago, endaround said:

I think this assumes that Wiemar hasn't lost a lot of value. Hard to see a guy looking to repeat AA at 24 as still a top prospect.  May have to replace him with Frelick or Mitchell but even so, yes.  

I doubt he repeats AA, his struggles were caused by a hand injury, which is finally healthy enough for him to get a boost to AAA. He's still an awesome prospect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

37 minutes ago, wntrtxn21 said:

The big problem with Devers is money! He'll be making $15-18M next year in arby.  He and Yelich alone would be over 1/3 of the payroll. With all the other arby guys it just doesn't work, especially for a guy who is a one-and-done.

It will be easy to justify an increase in payroll when the money is being better invested. Paying Devers $18 million next year is way better than the $28.5 million wasted on Cain and McCutchen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..