Brewer Fanatic

Trade Rumor: Brewers discussing Laureano with Oakland

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

I realize Frelick hasn't touched AAA yet, but I think he'll be here before the timeline you propose. Maybe WELL before.

AAA isn't really all that important for Frelick to get to.  The jump from AA to MLB is about the same as the jump from AAA to the MLB.  Majority of the players in AAA are AAAA types or your emergency call up types.  There are more Singleton's and Kelley's than there are actual prospects.  AAA for actual prospects is normally just a holding spot to avoid super 2 status.  

21 minutes ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

I realize Frelick hasn't touched AAA yet, but I think he'll be here before the timeline you propose. Maybe WELL before.

AAA isn't really all that important for Frelick to get to.  The jump from AA to MLB is about the same as the jump from AAA to the MLB.  Majority of the players in AAA are AAAA types or your emergency call up types.  There are more Singleton's and Kelley's than there are actual prospects.  AAA for actual prospects is normally just a holding spot to avoid super 2 status.  

1 hour ago, nate82 said:

Which is why I don't think he's that far away. The fact he's playing as well as he is, supercedes AA vs AAA. Still, this organization doesn't skip over AAA very often. If he does, it'll be significant.

1 hour ago, nate82 said:

Which is why I don't think he's that far away. The fact he's playing as well as he is, supercedes AA vs AAA. Still, this organization doesn't skip over AAA very often. If he does, it'll be significant.

On 7/29/2022 at 5:32 PM, Jopal78 said:

Laureano is a plus defender, plays CF, isn’t a total chump with the bat, and he’s under team control for two more years.

It’s better than shopping for a bargain basement band aid again this off season and a clear upgrade over Tyrone Taylor and Jonathan Davis. What’s not to like?

Man, sometimes I think posters here would spit on the Brewers acquiring anyone short of Ohtani or Trout, and even if they got those two guys they’d still grumble that it cost Turang, Frelick and Hiura.

Clear upgrade over Taylor? Taylor has outplayed him so far this year. It's possible Ramon has a resurgence at the plate if dealt, but the trade will do nothing to upgrade our defense. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Laureano is a plus defender, plays CF, isn’t a total chump with the bat, and he’s under team control for two more years.

It’s better than shopping for a bargain basement band aid again this off season and a clear upgrade over Tyrone Taylor and Jonathan Davis. What’s not to like?

Man, sometimes I think posters here would spit on the Brewers acquiring anyone short of Ohtani or Trout, and even if they got those two guys they’d still grumble that it cost Turang, Frelick and Hiura.

Clear upgrade over Taylor? Taylor has outplayed him so far this year. It's possible Ramon has a resurgence at the plate if dealt, but the trade will do nothing to upgrade our defense. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

1 hour ago, Never Outhustled said:

I guess it depends what you want. If it’s homers and not much else, than Taylor’s your guy. They’re in first place so it’s hard to argue against success. 

But if the team has a weakness offensively it is when they fail to Homer they typically don’t score often. Therefore more all-around hitters probably make the roster better.

More importantly, the Brewers are thin in CF, with a journeyman veteran currently splitting time. If the goal is to add as much talent and depth to the roster in a playoff push. Laureano makes a lot of sense and that he’s not an impending free agent makes the cost more justifiable. 

1 hour ago, Never Outhustled said:

I guess it depends what you want. If it’s homers and not much else, than Taylor’s your guy. They’re in first place so it’s hard to argue against success. 

But if the team has a weakness offensively it is when they fail to Homer they typically don’t score often. Therefore more all-around hitters probably make the roster better.

More importantly, the Brewers are thin in CF, with a journeyman veteran currently splitting time. If the goal is to add as much talent and depth to the roster in a playoff push. Laureano makes a lot of sense and that he’s not an impending free agent makes the cost more justifiable. 

9 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

Out of the cavernous Oakland stadium Laureano likely adds a few points to his OBP and SLG. 

Laureano has a higher OPS and BA at home this year.  He peaked as a hitter in 2018.  He's hitting .146 in his last 11 games.  Why mess with a lineup that's clicking on all cylinders right now including Taylor?  If Peterson is going to be out more than a couple more weeks, the need is for a LH bat.

9 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

Out of the cavernous Oakland stadium Laureano likely adds a few points to his OBP and SLG. 

Laureano has a higher OPS and BA at home this year.  He peaked as a hitter in 2018.  He's hitting .146 in his last 11 games.  Why mess with a lineup that's clicking on all cylinders right now including Taylor?  If Peterson is going to be out more than a couple more weeks, the need is for a LH bat.

32 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

Ramon is also a low average/OBA guy, but not as good defensively in CF as Taylor. 

I don't care what type of hitter we acquire, as long as they're productive. More ground outs is not a priority for me 

32 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

Ramon is also a low average/OBA guy, but not as good defensively in CF as Taylor. 

I don't care what type of hitter we acquire, as long as they're productive. More ground outs is not a priority for me 

If i have time, I do this sort of thing. I go to the forums of other teams that we've been linked to in trade and get a vibe for what their fans think their players are worth. The first related offer I saw was Montas and Laureano for Chourio, Wiemer, Small, and Perez. The second offer(much more reasonable) Laureano for Kelly and Mendez. That poster got shouted down for not getting nearly enough. Another guy wants Wiemer or Frelick as the headliner. Another guy thinks it should start with Frelick and Small with complementary pieces added.

Mostly it's pretty typical overvaluing your own players type stuff. The Kelly/Mendez offer was clearly light and clearly one I would love to pull the trigger on. Anything involving Chourio is absolutely laughable. I could see Frelick being a headliner for him, but I wouldn't expect another highly rated prospect to be included unless it's like Ray or someone who's highly rated but really shouldn't be.

If i have time, I do this sort of thing. I go to the forums of other teams that we've been linked to in trade and get a vibe for what their fans think their players are worth. The first related offer I saw was Montas and Laureano for Chourio, Wiemer, Small, and Perez. The second offer(much more reasonable) Laureano for Kelly and Mendez. That poster got shouted down for not getting nearly enough. Another guy wants Wiemer or Frelick as the headliner. Another guy thinks it should start with Frelick and Small with complementary pieces added.

Mostly it's pretty typical overvaluing your own players type stuff. The Kelly/Mendez offer was clearly light and clearly one I would love to pull the trigger on. Anything involving Chourio is absolutely laughable. I could see Frelick being a headliner for him, but I wouldn't expect another highly rated prospect to be included unless it's like Ray or someone who's highly rated but really shouldn't be.

53 minutes ago, KeithStone53151 said:

This is kind of my problem with Laureano. You are paying for multiple years of control but if the center field defense continues to regress, his offense, which isn’t exactly trending in the right direction either, had better pick up, or you are quickly looking at an increasingly expensive fourth outfielder, which given the pitching arbitration increases coming up probably means non-tender candidate. He just hasn’t been good enough for me to want to pay in prospects what the A’s seem to be demanding.

53 minutes ago, KeithStone53151 said:

This is kind of my problem with Laureano. You are paying for multiple years of control but if the center field defense continues to regress, his offense, which isn’t exactly trending in the right direction either, had better pick up, or you are quickly looking at an increasingly expensive fourth outfielder, which given the pitching arbitration increases coming up probably means non-tender candidate. He just hasn’t been good enough for me to want to pay in prospects what the A’s seem to be demanding.

At most, Lindblom and Severino for Laureano. Otherwise, hard pass.

Taylor's pretty good defensively in CF (2 DPs turned so far this year, lead the league). He's got power (without the aid of substances). Career OPS of .756.

I don't see 28 points of OPS as that big of an upgrade for the price the Crew would pay. Call up Turang, use a soft platoon of Taylor/Turang in center if you really don't care for Davis (who's getting on base at a .365 clip).

Taylor's pretty good defensively in CF (2 DPs turned so far this year, lead the league). He's got power (without the aid of substances). Career OPS of .756.

I don't see 28 points of OPS as that big of an upgrade for the price the Crew would pay. Call up Turang, use a soft platoon of Taylor/Turang in center if you really don't care for Davis (who's getting on base at a .365 clip).

Only hit well when he was taking PEDs.....which he was suspended for. He can stay in Oakland.

Only hit well when he was taking PEDs.....which he was suspended for. He can stay in Oakland.

9 hours ago, clancyphile said:

We’re saving the overwhelming package of lindbloom and severino for soto, bell and their first round picks for the next ten years ?

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

9 hours ago, clancyphile said:

We’re saving the overwhelming package of lindbloom and severino for soto, bell and their first round picks for the next ten years ?

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman