Brewer Fanatic

Trade Rumor: Brewers discussing Laureano with Oakland

Community Moderator
2 hours ago, Jopal78 said:

Laureano is a plus defender, plays CF, isn’t a total chump with the bat, and he’s under team control for two more years.

Laureano is actually still arbitration eligible for three years after this season. The lost service time from his PED suspension resulted in him being under team control for an additional season. 

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Community Moderator
2 hours ago, Jopal78 said:

Laureano is a plus defender, plays CF, isn’t a total chump with the bat, and he’s under team control for two more years.

Laureano is actually still arbitration eligible for three years after this season. The lost service time from his PED suspension resulted in him being under team control for an additional season. 

Community Moderator

Looking at Laureano’s home runs this season his swing seems geared towards AmFam Field. He has hit 16 balls that would’ve been over the wall in Milwaukee, but his season total is at just 10 HR (yes I realize half his games would be away). 

Community Moderator

Looking at Laureano’s home runs this season his swing seems geared towards AmFam Field. He has hit 16 balls that would’ve been over the wall in Milwaukee, but his season total is at just 10 HR (yes I realize half his games would be away). 

Honestly, I could see a resurgence from him, ala those Braves acquisitions last season.  I’m not saying that will definitely happen, but perhaps getting out of a losing situation with Oakland could be that change of scenery that is needed.

This isn’t the sexiest trade out there by any means, though.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Honestly, I could see a resurgence from him, ala those Braves acquisitions last season.  I’m not saying that will definitely happen, but perhaps getting out of a losing situation with Oakland could be that change of scenery that is needed.

This isn’t the sexiest trade out there by any means, though.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I suggested this in the comments a couple days ago - not doubling down though. If the price is low enough, this would be a particularly good move as CF is the most pressing need. But. He's not great defensively; with Yeli and Renfroe you can pick up some slack on either side of him to an extent. Frankly we were spoiled by Lorenzo Cain's defense nd we may not see his equal for some time. His bat is good... UNLESS this down year is predictive of an earlier decline than usual for a guy like him.

My take is that the Brewers absolutely should kick the tires here and pounce if it makes sense. Chourio is coming. But when? Debut mid 2023? First good year 2024? And where else can we find a proven CF who is available right now, for 2022? Laureano, for the right price, is the move to make. But if the A's want too much, I say look elsewhere or stand pat. I live in Minneapolis and also see the Twins a lot and consider them my secondary rooting interest. That's a team that NEEDS to upgrade (pitching, all of it). The Brewers can legit win the NL Central without changing anything. Laureano is not great, but he would be good, and perhaps even help them catch the #2 seed.

I suggested this in the comments a couple days ago - not doubling down though. If the price is low enough, this would be a particularly good move as CF is the most pressing need. But. He's not great defensively; with Yeli and Renfroe you can pick up some slack on either side of him to an extent. Frankly we were spoiled by Lorenzo Cain's defense nd we may not see his equal for some time. His bat is good... UNLESS this down year is predictive of an earlier decline than usual for a guy like him.

My take is that the Brewers absolutely should kick the tires here and pounce if it makes sense. Chourio is coming. But when? Debut mid 2023? First good year 2024? And where else can we find a proven CF who is available right now, for 2022? Laureano, for the right price, is the move to make. But if the A's want too much, I say look elsewhere or stand pat. I live in Minneapolis and also see the Twins a lot and consider them my secondary rooting interest. That's a team that NEEDS to upgrade (pitching, all of it). The Brewers can legit win the NL Central without changing anything. Laureano is not great, but he would be good, and perhaps even help them catch the #2 seed.

19 hours ago, Lathund said:

CF is the odd situation where I actually would prefer a (cheap) rental this deadline over a more expensive long-term acquisition, seeing as we have a trio of top prospects in AA who certainly look like the part now (Wiemer will likely end up in a corner, but he can play CF for now at least), as well as Chourio a bit further away. But admittedly there isn't a whole lot out there, so if Laureano is cheaper than I expect.. sure. 

This is where I am. I'd be more interested if he were a rental. He would be cheaper, and I don't see a need for him for 2 or 3 years or whatever it would be.

19 hours ago, Lathund said:

CF is the odd situation where I actually would prefer a (cheap) rental this deadline over a more expensive long-term acquisition, seeing as we have a trio of top prospects in AA who certainly look like the part now (Wiemer will likely end up in a corner, but he can play CF for now at least), as well as Chourio a bit further away. But admittedly there isn't a whole lot out there, so if Laureano is cheaper than I expect.. sure. 

This is where I am. I'd be more interested if he were a rental. He would be cheaper, and I don't see a need for him for 2 or 3 years or whatever it would be.

1 hour ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

This is the crux of the matter. We need a rental CF for about 1.75 years...!

1 hour ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

This is the crux of the matter. We need a rental CF for about 1.75 years...!

18 hours ago, Eye Black said:

Interesting. Yeah, I was wondering how much playing in the Bartertown Thunderdome I mean Oakland Coliseum was hurting his numbers this year. That said, this is a down year for him compared to his entire career. Maybe a change of scenery would do the trick? All I know is: he's a good, but not great, target. The Brewers should investigate but should be smart buyers/traders.

18 hours ago, Eye Black said:

Interesting. Yeah, I was wondering how much playing in the Bartertown Thunderdome I mean Oakland Coliseum was hurting his numbers this year. That said, this is a down year for him compared to his entire career. Maybe a change of scenery would do the trick? All I know is: he's a good, but not great, target. The Brewers should investigate but should be smart buyers/traders.

One other thing I forgot to mention: his babip this year is a career low. It's .269, against .315 for his career. So those of you (us?) who are at least slightly high on this trade, keep in mind that 1. his 2022 hitting stats may be primed for a bounce-back, and 2. The Brewers and A's definitely know this. #1 is a good thing for Laureano and any time that would acquire him. #2, not so good for the teams that would seek to acquire him, in terms of cost, but on the other hand... babip is merely predictive, and predictions sometimes don't come true.

One other thing I forgot to mention: his babip this year is a career low. It's .269, against .315 for his career. So those of you (us?) who are at least slightly high on this trade, keep in mind that 1. his 2022 hitting stats may be primed for a bounce-back, and 2. The Brewers and A's definitely know this. #1 is a good thing for Laureano and any time that would acquire him. #2, not so good for the teams that would seek to acquire him, in terms of cost, but on the other hand... babip is merely predictive, and predictions sometimes don't come true.

No thank you

No thank you

No thank you

No thank you

No thank you

No thank you

Not sure Laureano is the CF we need … especially if it involves Frelick, Mitchell, Lutz, Quero, Turang & certainly not Chourio in return

Hoping we don’t drain the prospect talent for a mediocre return

I would be okay with a few players being traded - Gray comes to mind … maybe even Small … but I want to see some of our home grown talent make it to Milwaukee in the next few years

No thank you

No thank you

No thank you

No thank you

No thank you

No thank you

Not sure Laureano is the CF we need … especially if it involves Frelick, Mitchell, Lutz, Quero, Turang & certainly not Chourio in return

Hoping we don’t drain the prospect talent for a mediocre return

I would be okay with a few players being traded - Gray comes to mind … maybe even Small … but I want to see some of our home grown talent make it to Milwaukee in the next few years

I wouldn't be worried about him blocking anybody. If he produces he can either be traded for prospects/another need or take over for Renfroe in RF after 2023. Frelick is the real deal so need to keep him but have no problem trading Mitchell or Weimer for him.

I wouldn't be worried about him blocking anybody. If he produces he can either be traded for prospects/another need or take over for Renfroe in RF after 2023. Frelick is the real deal so need to keep him but have no problem trading Mitchell or Weimer for him.

1 hour ago, Outlander said:

This is something baseball fans need to keep in mind. There’s no such thing as “blocking” an up the middle player. It’s not a consideration. Literally every up the middle player can fall back to another position. 

1 hour ago, Outlander said:

This is something baseball fans need to keep in mind. There’s no such thing as “blocking” an up the middle player. It’s not a consideration. Literally every up the middle player can fall back to another position.