Brewer Fanatic

Trade Rumor: Brewers discussing Laureano with Oakland

Jon Heyman of the NY Post wrote that the Brewers have discussed acquiring Ramon Laureano from the Oakland As.

Laureano has three more seasons of control so should cost quite a bit in trade. He's not a great defender in center but is above average with the bat. Coming off a PED suspension, Laureano essentially lost a year of free agency and has question marks about performance given his previous substance use.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of pursuing Laureano. If the price is good, sure, have at it. But Laureano lacks on-base ability, which is perhaps the Brewers' greatest need right now. He checks the box for centerfield - sorta, anyway - but doesn't offer a lot of other qualities that make him attractive to me as a player on this roster.

Thoughts? Would you pursue Laureano or go with someone more bat-first like Bell?

View full trade rumor

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laureano is a plus defender, plays CF, isn’t a total chump with the bat, and he’s under team control for two more years.

It’s better than shopping for a bargain basement band aid again this off season and a clear upgrade over Tyrone Taylor and Jonathan Davis. What’s not to like?

Man, sometimes I think posters here would spit on the Brewers acquiring anyone short of Ohtani or Trout, and even if they got those two guys they’d still grumble that it cost Turang, Frelick and Hiura.

Laureano is a plus defender, plays CF, isn’t a total chump with the bat, and he’s under team control for two more years.

It’s better than shopping for a bargain basement band aid again this off season and a clear upgrade over Tyrone Taylor and Jonathan Davis. What’s not to like?

Man, sometimes I think posters here would spit on the Brewers acquiring anyone short of Ohtani or Trout, and even if they got those two guys they’d still grumble that it cost Turang, Frelick and Hiura.

3 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

Because there are questions if he is still a plus defender in center (he has graded out poorly this season) and you are going to be paying a premium for extra years of team control that you might not want at an elevated price.

Because there are questions if he is still a plus defender in center (he has graded out poorly this season) and you are going to be paying a premium for extra years of team control that you might not want at an elevated price.

7 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

Plus defender?  Isn't a chump with the bat? (I'll say he is maybe an average hitter at best)

No interest in this guy, to me, he screams band aid and nothing more.  If this is the best we can get to play CF for the rest of this year and the next two, I'm passing hard!  Having this guy block Frelick in 2024 and possibly 2023 at some point disgusts me.

7 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

Plus defender?  Isn't a chump with the bat? (I'll say he is maybe an average hitter at best)

No interest in this guy, to me, he screams band aid and nothing more.  If this is the best we can get to play CF for the rest of this year and the next two, I'm passing hard!  Having this guy block Frelick in 2024 and possibly 2023 at some point disgusts me.

Just now, CheeseheadInQC said:

I guess, I’d like to see them finish first in a winnable NL Central this year, but lack of offensive production from CF is a problem and Acuna and Judge aren’t available. 

Sometimes a team has to seize and opportunity 

Just now, CheeseheadInQC said:

I guess, I’d like to see them finish first in a winnable NL Central this year, but lack of offensive production from CF is a problem and Acuna and Judge aren’t available. 

Sometimes a team has to seize and opportunity 

CF is the odd situation where I actually would prefer a (cheap) rental this deadline over a more expensive long-term acquisition, seeing as we have a trio of top prospects in AA who certainly look like the part now (Wiemer will likely end up in a corner, but he can play CF for now at least), as well as Chourio a bit further away. But admittedly there isn't a whole lot out there, so if Laureano is cheaper than I expect.. sure. 

As always though, I expect Brewers have checked in on every even remotely available player, just in case someone is available for a price they find attractive. Benintendi, Michael A Taylor, Laureano, and whoever else might be available in CF. Doesn't have to mean talks got anywhere. 

CF is the odd situation where I actually would prefer a (cheap) rental this deadline over a more expensive long-term acquisition, seeing as we have a trio of top prospects in AA who certainly look like the part now (Wiemer will likely end up in a corner, but he can play CF for now at least), as well as Chourio a bit further away. But admittedly there isn't a whole lot out there, so if Laureano is cheaper than I expect.. sure. 

As always though, I expect Brewers have checked in on every even remotely available player, just in case someone is available for a price they find attractive. Benintendi, Michael A Taylor, Laureano, and whoever else might be available in CF. Doesn't have to mean talks got anywhere. 

1 minute ago, Hopper said:

Plus defender?  Isn't a chump with the bat? (I'll say is is maybe an average hitter at best)

I get it; you’re okay wasting generational pitching talent while  hoping some minor leaguers develop two to three years from now.  

I trust the front office isn’t going to mortgage their future to win now; it hasn’t been their M.O. but I hope they bring on as much talent as they can this year and Laureano is without doubt better than anyone the Brewers have lined up in CF this year.

1 minute ago, Hopper said:

Plus defender?  Isn't a chump with the bat? (I'll say is is maybe an average hitter at best)

I get it; you’re okay wasting generational pitching talent while  hoping some minor leaguers develop two to three years from now.  

I trust the front office isn’t going to mortgage their future to win now; it hasn’t been their M.O. but I hope they bring on as much talent as they can this year and Laureano is without doubt better than anyone the Brewers have lined up in CF this year.

I get it; you’re okay wasting generational pitching talent...

What a ridiculous thing to say.  I choose not to even argue a point with someone who assumes without a reason. 

I get it; you’re okay wasting generational pitching talent...

What a ridiculous thing to say.  I choose not to even argue a point with someone who assumes without a reason. 

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If you're considering platooning him I'd think about it. 831 OPS against lefties.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If you're considering platooning him I'd think about it. 831 OPS against lefties.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

While Laureano isn't a defensive whiz, we'd still have Davis as a late inning replacement. Laureano isn't having a great season at the plate, but he's got a recent history of having some pretty good offensive numbers, and a history of being better than Taylor. If he can be had for a price that doesn't include any top 7 - 10 prospects, I'd be willing to roll the dice.

While Laureano isn't a defensive whiz, we'd still have Davis as a late inning replacement. Laureano isn't having a great season at the plate, but he's got a recent history of having some pretty good offensive numbers, and a history of being better than Taylor. If he can be had for a price that doesn't include any top 7 - 10 prospects, I'd be willing to roll the dice.