Brewer Fanatic

Benintendi to the yankees

torts

Bunch of milb arms going back for him.  Apparently he's also going to get vaccinated

Brewers were also trying for him, apparently 

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

17 minutes ago, folly412 said:

A haul of mid-level pitching prospects.  Don't think we even have that much pitching talent left in the system to match that offer if we wanted to.

I'm sure the royals would have accepted a similar value package that included some hitting prospects, which we could easily have done. At the moment we have a lot more hitting than pitching prospects, probably largely due to graduating woodruff, burnes, Peralta, houser, later, and Ashby into the current rotation as well as Devin Williams into the bullpen

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StearnsFTW said:

This could work out great for the Brewers.  Go get Gallo for cheap (prospect-wise).

I have much more faith in Gallo's ability to play CF than I do Benintendi's.

I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Gallo but I would want the Yanks to pay the rest of his salary or add a prospect. Even if Gallo gets back to his pre-yankees self he doesn't help the streaky-ness of the offense. Overall I would call Gallo a backup plan if the other less risky bats cost to much.

8 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Doesn't this Brewers lineup already have enough Joey Gallos?

I'm hoping for the Joey Gallo of a year ago, so no I guess.  And he's a plus defender.  Especially if you think he can handle CF, which I definitely do.

I freely admit I'm a big fan and always have been.

Edit:  After thinking about it more, I bet he goes for more than we think, if they even trade him.  He was an excellent player as recently as 1 year ago.

14 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Doesn't this Brewers lineup already have enough Joey Gallos?

The Brewers have 1 guy that strikes out more than a couple percentage points above mlb average in Hiura, and Hiura has a wRC+ of 128 on the season and a .238 avg. Gallo currently has a wRC+ of 83 on the season with a 38.1% k rate and .161 avg. Literally every single hitter on the Brewers is better in all 3 categories than Gallo except Hiura with a higher k rate. So no, we don't have a single hitter that even remotely compares to Joey Gallo.

I know you've been here a while I thought you were better than taking one liner digs at the Brewers like the negative nancies in the game day threads.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
2 minutes ago, KeithStone53151 said:

The Brewers have 1 guy that strikes out more than a couple percentage points above mlb average in Hiura, and Hiura has a wRC+ of 128 on the season and a .238 avg. Gallo currently has a wRC+ of 83 on the season with a 38.1% k rate and .161 avg. Literally every single hitter on the Brewers is better in all 3 categories than Gallo except Hiura with a higher k rate. So no, we don't have a single hitter that even remotely compares to Joey Gallo.

I know you've been here a while I thought you were better than taking one liner digs at the Brewers like the negative nancies in the game day threads.

You have a point. I perhaps should have used the sarcasm font. But, at least from the eye test, the issues this lineup has had this season do include an inability to sustain rallies and push runs across the plate because of a high amount of Ks at inopportune times. It does seem like guys like Hiura, Tellez, Adames, Renfroe and McCutchen, not to mention Yelich, have had their share of "swing for the fences and hope I hit it" type ABs this year, and I see Gallo as a guy with a similar type approach. That's the main reason I don't see him as a great fit. If a high K rate is truly the reason they sent Hiura to Nashville most recently, I can't see them being interested in Gallo.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

You have a point. I perhaps should have used the sarcasm font. But, at least from the eye test, the issues this lineup has had this season do include an inability to sustain rallies and push runs across the plate because of a high amount of Ks at inopportune times. It does seem like guys like Hiura, Tellez, Adames, Renfroe and McCutchen, not to mention Yelich, have had their share of "swing for the fences and hope I hit it" type ABs this year, and I see Gallo as a guy with a similar type approach. That's the main reason I don't see him as a great fit. If a high K rate is truly the reason they sent Hiura to Nashville most recently, I can't see them being interested in Gallo.

I generally agree, Gallo isn't the answer in CF. I did not sense the sarcasm initially but I suppose it makes sense. I would be interested to see if I can find Brewers k rate with RISP.

Verified Member

Good. I had minimal interest in him and was worried he would be our "big" (only) move of the season. He's been decent this season due to a massively inflated .366 BABIP driving up his OBP. Power has completely disappeared (.078 ISO!!!) and he's an average defender.

14 hours ago, folly412 said:

A haul of mid-level pitching prospects.  Don't think we even have that much pitching talent left in the system to match that offer if we wanted to.

Three prospects in the high teens (org ranking) or lower seems less valuable than I had imagined for Benintendi.

I hope that is the going rate for bats. If so, we could get a few without spending from our top 10.

Or am I dead wrong, and grossly undervaluing these three ex-Yankee kids?

10 minutes ago, JCREW said:

Three prospects in the high teens (org ranking) or lower seems less valuable than I had imagined for Benintendi.

I hope that is the going rate for bats. If so, we could get a few without spending from our top 10.

Or am I dead wrong, and grossly undervaluing these three ex-Yankee kids?

Doesn't seem to be a big haul. MLBTradeRumors says "Way is the headliner of the return, tweeting that he looks like a possible mid-rotation starter." A nearly 23-year-old "possible mid-rotation starter" and two lottery tickets doesn't seem to be a high price tag.

But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Royals obviously liked something about the prospects they got, or at least they liked them more than what anyone else was offering.

As to Benintendi, I think his plate discipline and contact would have been welcome in the Brewer lineup. We've scored a high percentage of our runs on home runs, so we could've used his contact/OBP bat in the lineup. 

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Benintendi will probably find his power stroke now that he's playing for the Yankees ala Matt Carpenter. Probably a player not worthy of returning a top prospect so quantity over quality isn't a bad way to go for KC. I actually prefer Sikkema over Way.

11 hours ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

The MLB average K% is 22.3%.  The Brewers are 23.4%.  The Nationals have the second lowest K% in MLB, and the Rockies and Royals are in the top 10.  The Royals and Nationals have scored the 4th and 5th lowest runs/game. 

Tops in OBP are the Dodgers, Yankees, and Blue Jays, followed by the Rockies, Mets, Twins, Cardinals, Cubs, Mariners, and Brewers.  Coincidentally, the Yankees, Dodgers, and Blue Jays are also 1-3 in runs/game, followed by the Braves, Mets, Giants, Brewers, Phillies, Rockies, Cardinals, and Twins. 

The Brewers are league average in terms of % of times a baserunner scores at 31%.  Tops in the league is 33%, bottom is 27%. 

K% doesn't have a high correlation with runs scored, and other teams strike out a lot with runners on base too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...