Brewer Fanatic

J.D. Martinez

The price in prospects would have to be small and the Red Sox would have to kick in some cash. If the deal were done tomorrow, Martinez would cost around $7.5M.  I'd rather have the switch hitting Bell who can play a position if needed. 

28 minutes ago, wntrtxn21 said:

The price in prospects would have to be small and the Red Sox would have to kick in some cash. If the deal were done tomorrow, Martinez would cost around $7.5M.  I'd rather have the switch hitting Bell who can play a position if needed. 

Why not both? we have DH and 1b occupied by very mediocre bats.  Yelich,   Adames, bell & Martinez would actually score some runs.  I think they’d rather take on salary then moving up the quality of the prospect 5-6 spots, IMO.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Martinez's June OPS of .713, July OPS of .675.

McCutchen's June OPS of .911, July OPS of .750.

Martinez's May OPS was due to a .520 BABIP.  His April/June/July are more like what to expect.

I'd rather have McCutchen who can at least play a passable OF.

36 minutes ago, LouisEly said:

Martinez's June OPS of .713, July OPS of .675.

McCutchen's June OPS of .911, July OPS of .750.

Martinez's May OPS was due to a .520 BABIP.  His April/June/July are more like what to expect.

I'd rather have McCutchen who can at least play a passable OF.

Martinez is a far better hitter than McCutchen or really anyone in this lineup so if he comes cheap sign me up.

1 hour ago, brewers888 said:

Martinez is a far better hitter than McCutchen or really anyone in this lineup so if he comes cheap sign me up.

Just like Castellanos was the clear better hitter/player than everyone else, right? I think it's far from a certainty based on Martinez's age and his subpar play over the last couple months. And, as also stated above, he's got no value whatsoever on defense as he's limited strictly to DH. That matters a lot to a team like the Brewers that already has McCutchen and likes to rotate its other position players at DH....

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
11 hours ago, brewers888 said:

He certainly has more name recognition than most in our current line-up. It appears that you very much put merit in such things, because as an actual baseball player, Martinez at this point in his career isn't going to do a heck of a lot to help the lineup.

• Like 1