Brewer Fanatic

Trade Rumor: Brewers Pursuing Nationals' Josh Bell

2 minutes ago, nate82 said:

The post by sveumrules shows how the Brewers would use Bell.  Basically use him as a platoon against RHP at DH and a platoon at 1B against LHP.  

I would just make Bell the everyday 1B regardless as he grades out as a better defender than Tellez. Then, Tellez at DH against RHP and McCutchen at DH against LHP, with McCutchen also seeing a little time in the OF. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, sveumrules said:

Bell makes perfect sense, DH vs RHP (129 wRC+ vs RHP since 2021) compared to 88 wRC+ vs RHP for McCutchen over the same time frame.

And then 1B vs LHP (128 wRC+ vs LHP since 2021) compared to 90 wRC+ vs LHP for Rowdy since 2021.

Agree that I wouldn't go higher than Valerio as a headliner though.

OK, well - when you put it this way, maybe he would be a better fit than I'm giving him credit for.  Ha!  We do need a big bat in the middle of our lineup, so he could be that guy.

Would you do Hiura/Valerio?  I think that's in the range of what it would take to get him.  

22 minutes ago, sveumrules said:

Bell makes perfect sense, DH vs RHP (129 wRC+ vs RHP since 2021) compared to 88 wRC+ vs RHP for McCutchen over the same time frame.

And then 1B vs LHP (128 wRC+ vs LHP since 2021) compared to 90 wRC+ vs LHP for Rowdy since 2021.

Agree that I wouldn't go higher than Valerio as a headliner though.

OK, well - when you put it this way, maybe he would be a better fit than I'm giving him credit for.  Ha!  We do need a big bat in the middle of our lineup, so he could be that guy.

Would you do Hiura/Valerio?  I think that's in the range of what it would take to get him.  

I really wouldn’t give up much at all. Seriously, Bell alone wouldn’t improve this team all thaT much, as this team has too many holes in the lineup for him to make a significant difference. We still would need help in CF, 3B, 2B with average or below players at SS, LF, and the bullpen. This would also assume their SP would be greatly improved with a pre-injury level Peralta returning. You also have to account for their LHP continued black hole. There are just too many holes!

I really wouldn’t give up much at all. Seriously, Bell alone wouldn’t improve this team all thaT much, as this team has too many holes in the lineup for him to make a significant difference. We still would need help in CF, 3B, 2B with average or below players at SS, LF, and the bullpen. This would also assume their SP would be greatly improved with a pre-injury level Peralta returning. You also have to account for their LHP continued black hole. There are just too many holes!

3 minutes ago, Sixtolezcano said:

SS and 3B are not “holes”.The Brewers are getting top 10 MLB production from those two spots. The only so-called “black hole” there has been on this team this season was CF with Cain and Davis. Taylor has helped somewhat though we could definitely use an upgrade there. 

The main problem is we’re long on average to slightly above average hitters, while lacking great/elite hitters. Bell would definitely help with that based on his production this season.

3 minutes ago, Sixtolezcano said:

SS and 3B are not “holes”.The Brewers are getting top 10 MLB production from those two spots. The only so-called “black hole” there has been on this team this season was CF with Cain and Davis. Taylor has helped somewhat though we could definitely use an upgrade there. 

The main problem is we’re long on average to slightly above average hitters, while lacking great/elite hitters. Bell would definitely help with that based on his production this season.

35 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

35 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

55 minutes ago, Sixtolezcano said:

Damn, those are a lot of holes!  Yet they’ve been in first place almost since day one….

As for Bell, every lineup in the league can use a guy with an .850+ OPS. Let’s not have any of this “not a good fit” nonsense. 

55 minutes ago, Sixtolezcano said:

Damn, those are a lot of holes!  Yet they’ve been in first place almost since day one….

As for Bell, every lineup in the league can use a guy with an .850+ OPS. Let’s not have any of this “not a good fit” nonsense. 

Sorry IPad problems. Anyway, with Peterson out for at least a month and Urias playing 3B the majority of time, I would consider it as a “hole”. You misunderstood my comment on the SS position, Adames I said average or below average with great power, but the OBP not very good so let’s’ say average. But overall there are too many “problems = holes” for only Bell to have a significant impact on the entire team. Definitely not worth giving up much, if anything,as Bell is not elite.

Sorry IPad problems. Anyway, with Peterson out for at least a month and Urias playing 3B the majority of time, I would consider it as a “hole”. You misunderstood my comment on the SS position, Adames I said average or below average with great power, but the OBP not very good so let’s’ say average. But overall there are too many “problems = holes” for only Bell to have a significant impact on the entire team. Definitely not worth giving up much, if anything,as Bell is not elite.

1 hour ago, Sixtolezcano said:

Or we could use somewhat objective data.  According to B-R.com, the Brewers MLB (not NL, MLB) rank in Wins Above Average by position:

C) 9th
1B) 16th
2B) 16th
3B) 8th
SS) 13th
LF) 9th
CF) 27th
RF) 6th
DH) 14th
SP) 22nd (trotting out Chi Chi and Alexander really hurt them)
RP) 13th

The "black holes" they need to address are CF and 4th/5th starter (addressed by getting Ashby, Peralta and Houser back).  News flash - everyone's 7th/8th bullpen pitcher sucks.

1 hour ago, Sixtolezcano said:

Or we could use somewhat objective data.  According to B-R.com, the Brewers MLB (not NL, MLB) rank in Wins Above Average by position:

C) 9th
1B) 16th
2B) 16th
3B) 8th
SS) 13th
LF) 9th
CF) 27th
RF) 6th
DH) 14th
SP) 22nd (trotting out Chi Chi and Alexander really hurt them)
RP) 13th

The "black holes" they need to address are CF and 4th/5th starter (addressed by getting Ashby, Peralta and Houser back).  News flash - everyone's 7th/8th bullpen pitcher sucks.

7 hours ago, Ulice Payne said:

Bell would be a good acquisition.  

Certainly, pay as little as possible.  But this isn't about a two month rental; it's about increasing the odds of getting to the NLCS instead of another quick exit from the playoffs.  That's worth quite a bit.

That's what we're doing?  Trying to increase our odds of getting to the NLCS?

7 hours ago, Ulice Payne said:

Bell would be a good acquisition.  

Certainly, pay as little as possible.  But this isn't about a two month rental; it's about increasing the odds of getting to the NLCS instead of another quick exit from the playoffs.  That's worth quite a bit.

That's what we're doing?  Trying to increase our odds of getting to the NLCS?

With Benentendi getting 3 mid tier prospects (15-30)I would think it makes Bell's price pretty clear. 2 mid tier prospects and 1 higher propsect should do it. Who knows what it will look like but my guess is they would want Turang/Mitchell as the headliner (at least). I would be hesitant to send on of those guys for a couple months of Bell.

With Benentendi getting 3 mid tier prospects (15-30)I would think it makes Bell's price pretty clear. 2 mid tier prospects and 1 higher propsect should do it. Who knows what it will look like but my guess is they would want Turang/Mitchell as the headliner (at least). I would be hesitant to send on of those guys for a couple months of Bell.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
19 minutes ago, jay87shot said:

Why would Bell bring back substantially more than Benentendi? Bell does provide more power, but he's also more streaky career-wise. Also, Benentendi is a solid if not elite corner OF defender who could also play CF. Bell provides no defensive value.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
19 minutes ago, jay87shot said:

Why would Bell bring back substantially more than Benentendi? Bell does provide more power, but he's also more streaky career-wise. Also, Benentendi is a solid if not elite corner OF defender who could also play CF. Bell provides no defensive value.