Brewer Fanatic

Trade Rumor: Brewers Pursuing Nationals' Josh Bell

MLB Trade Rumors, quoting Jeff Passan, reports that the Brewers are interested in first baseman Josh Bell. Alongside Milwaukee are the Astros and Mets, who are interested in the switch-hitter who will be a free agent at year's end.

Milwaukee could really use Bell's bat but it's harder to fit him into the lineup defensively. In a perfect scenario, Milwaukee can land an offensively-capable centerfielder but given the dearth of options at that position, falling back to a bat-first corner player and wedging him into the defensive alignment somewhere makes a lot of sense.

What would you be willing to give up for a rental like Josh Bell?

View full trade rumor

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Sakatarama said:

Anyone in the top ten shouldn't even be considered. Micah Bello and Logan Henderson, perhaps? Maybe more if there's a bullpen piece coming back.

With the qualifying offer still in place (ugh), that might change the matrix on Bell a bit. I'm not sure what it would take to get him but suspect the initial asking price might be a fringy top ten guy. I'm not sure I'd wager that kind of upside on a two month rental.

10 minutes ago, Sakatarama said:

Anyone in the top ten shouldn't even be considered. Micah Bello and Logan Henderson, perhaps? Maybe more if there's a bullpen piece coming back.

With the qualifying offer still in place (ugh), that might change the matrix on Bell a bit. I'm not sure what it would take to get him but suspect the initial asking price might be a fringy top ten guy. I'm not sure I'd wager that kind of upside on a two month rental.

11 minutes ago, Sakatarama said:

I have a feeling it might be closer to their choice of Valerio or Garcia plus maybe Guilarte and Vassalotti or some other pair of players in that range. Even that might feel light.

11 minutes ago, Sakatarama said:

I have a feeling it might be closer to their choice of Valerio or Garcia plus maybe Guilarte and Vassalotti or some other pair of players in that range. Even that might feel light.

As good as he has been this year, he is still a career 118 wRC+ hitter overall (114 wRC+ prior to this year). And when trying to predict what he'll do the rest of the year, I'll always put more weight on the 2800 PA sample than the 400 PA one.  Not that pre-2022 Bell wouldn't also improve the offense, but it then becomes far more of a marginal improvement which ought to be reflected in the acquisition cost. 

In other words, a rental like him is someone I feel is a perfectly cromulent deadline addition, but not someone I'd give up a whole lot for. I certainly wouldn't give up any prospect who is likely to impact the major league ballclub in the next couple of years, nor any of the true top prospects who are further away either. So no to Frelick, Mitchell, Turang, Small, Chourio, Wiemer, Black, Quero, Feliciano and the likes. And I'd try to hold on to any of the better pitching prospects as the system seems position-player heavy. I'd probably look to trade from the toolsy but raw outfielders behind those mentioned. Guys like Gray Jr might not hold a ton of value on their own, but package a few of them together and it might be attractive especially to a team like the Nationals who are very much scouting/tools focused, and not as much about skills/data. 

Actually that last points was something I hadn't considered; Nats could be a good fit for a trade in the sense that the two teams are probably polar opposites (Based on the writing I've seen about the profile of different front offices anyway. Which seems solid, but who knows for sure...) in what types of prospects they value. Makes it more likely that a trade can be had that both teams will feel like they did well to get. 

As good as he has been this year, he is still a career 118 wRC+ hitter overall (114 wRC+ prior to this year). And when trying to predict what he'll do the rest of the year, I'll always put more weight on the 2800 PA sample than the 400 PA one.  Not that pre-2022 Bell wouldn't also improve the offense, but it then becomes far more of a marginal improvement which ought to be reflected in the acquisition cost. 

In other words, a rental like him is someone I feel is a perfectly cromulent deadline addition, but not someone I'd give up a whole lot for. I certainly wouldn't give up any prospect who is likely to impact the major league ballclub in the next couple of years, nor any of the true top prospects who are further away either. So no to Frelick, Mitchell, Turang, Small, Chourio, Wiemer, Black, Quero, Feliciano and the likes. And I'd try to hold on to any of the better pitching prospects as the system seems position-player heavy. I'd probably look to trade from the toolsy but raw outfielders behind those mentioned. Guys like Gray Jr might not hold a ton of value on their own, but package a few of them together and it might be attractive especially to a team like the Nationals who are very much scouting/tools focused, and not as much about skills/data. 

Actually that last points was something I hadn't considered; Nats could be a good fit for a trade in the sense that the two teams are probably polar opposites (Based on the writing I've seen about the profile of different front offices anyway. Which seems solid, but who knows for sure...) in what types of prospects they value. Makes it more likely that a trade can be had that both teams will feel like they did well to get. 

Lathund said it well. Bell is having a great year, but hasn't had a great career. Bell doesn't replace our worst bat, he plays 1B/DH, so he replaces either Tellez or McCutchen on any given day, so we'd probably get a player who is slightly better than what we have. I hope Stearns/Attanasio don't get antsy and give up too much. 

Our depth is minor league OF, so I'd try to package a deal around the "second tier" of our outfielders. Of course, there's always the caveat that Hiura is there if the opposing team is interested. 

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Lathund said it well. Bell is having a great year, but hasn't had a great career. Bell doesn't replace our worst bat, he plays 1B/DH, so he replaces either Tellez or McCutchen on any given day, so we'd probably get a player who is slightly better than what we have. I hope Stearns/Attanasio don't get antsy and give up too much. 

Our depth is minor league OF, so I'd try to package a deal around the "second tier" of our outfielders. Of course, there's always the caveat that Hiura is there if the opposing team is interested. 

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

1 hour ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Bell would be a good acquisition.  

Certainly, pay as little as possible.  But this isn't about a two month rental; it's about increasing the odds of getting to the NLCS instead of another quick exit from the playoffs.  That's worth quite a bit.

1 hour ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Certainly, pay as little as possible.  But this isn't about a two month rental; it's about increasing the odds of getting to the NLCS instead of another quick exit from the playoffs.  That's worth quite a bit.

1 minute ago, Ulice Payne said:

Definitely, I'm just struggling to see how Bell moves the needle enough to make a difference. Maybe I'm just being overly skeptical, Bell would certainly be an improvement in the lineup every day.

1 minute ago, Ulice Payne said:

Definitely, I'm just struggling to see how Bell moves the needle enough to make a difference. Maybe I'm just being overly skeptical, Bell would certainly be an improvement in the lineup every day.

Bell makes perfect sense, DH vs RHP (129 wRC+ vs RHP since 2021) compared to 88 wRC+ vs RHP for McCutchen over the same time frame.

And then 1B vs LHP (128 wRC+ vs LHP since 2021) compared to 90 wRC+ vs LHP for Rowdy since 2021.

Agree that I wouldn't go higher than Valerio as a headliner though.

Bell makes perfect sense, DH vs RHP (129 wRC+ vs RHP since 2021) compared to 88 wRC+ vs RHP for McCutchen over the same time frame.

And then 1B vs LHP (128 wRC+ vs LHP since 2021) compared to 90 wRC+ vs LHP for Rowdy since 2021.

Agree that I wouldn't go higher than Valerio as a headliner though.

Yeah, I just don't see how Bell fits in with this current roster and our needs?  Do we need offensive help?  Yes, I think we can all agree with that.  But, I'm just not sure how we get all of our 1B/DH guys enough AB's with an addition of Bell?  

Also, I'm guessing it would probably take a package of Hiura and Valerio to get him.  Is that worth a couple of months of Bell?  Not sure it is?  

Yeah, I just don't see how Bell fits in with this current roster and our needs?  Do we need offensive help?  Yes, I think we can all agree with that.  But, I'm just not sure how we get all of our 1B/DH guys enough AB's with an addition of Bell?  

Also, I'm guessing it would probably take a package of Hiura and Valerio to get him.  Is that worth a couple of months of Bell?  Not sure it is?  

Bell is the power hitter we need to slot in the middle of the lineup. Also, hits for high average, plays a decent 1B, doesn't strike out, AND hits LHP. I'd be all in if I were Stearns so long as such a deal doesn't involve Chourio, Frelick, Wiemer, etc. which it certainly shouldn't. 

Bell is the power hitter we need to slot in the middle of the lineup. Also, hits for high average, plays a decent 1B, doesn't strike out, AND hits LHP. I'd be all in if I were Stearns so long as such a deal doesn't involve Chourio, Frelick, Wiemer, etc. which it certainly shouldn't. 

Just now, Madhawk23 said:

The post by sveumrules shows how the Brewers would use Bell.  Basically use him as a platoon against RHP at DH and a platoon at 1B against LHP.  

2 minutes ago, Madhawk23 said:

Bell is a great fit. We desperately need a middle of the order bat who can make contact and drive in runs with runners on base. Bell is precisely that guy. We're not in a position where we can turn down guys like him. My guess is he would be the primary 1B and McCutchen/Tellez would share DH duties. Keep in mind that McCutchen can also get time in the outfield and Tellez shouldn't be playing against LHP.