Brewer Fanatic

Trade Rumor: One (insane?) MLB exec picks Brewers to land Soto

Mark Feinsand of MLB polled a bunch of executives to see who they predict will land phenom slugger Juan Soto and one of them picked... the Brewers?

Wait, what?

In much more logical votes, the top vote-getter was the Padres, followed immediately by the Dodgers. Both teams make a lot of sense with a lot of young talent, good farm systems, and the willingness to pay Soto the gobs of money he's looking to land as he approaches free agency in a couple of years.

Frankly, I don't think the Brewers have the horses to land Soto. They have Chourio - who is legitimately great right now - but the Nationals are likely looking for either young MLB talent or near-MLB talent, which the Brewers don't have a lot of right now, especially on the pitching side of things.

And on top of the Brewers not having the horses, Milwaukee doesn't have the payroll to pay Soto into free agency, which makes this move a long-term rental. This move would force a full-scale rebuild in a couple of years after Soto leaves and an empty farm system needs to be restocked.

Anyway, I thought this single vote was amusing enough to post about.

View full trade rumor

I don't know if it's that far-fetched - I don't think it matters where he gets traded, there won't be a longterm extension signed by Soto/Boras with that team.  If a huge market team winds up trading for Soto, they surely could resign him as a free agent - but that would be because they have more $ to throw at him when he does become a free agent.  Soto won't be a free agent until after 2024, so a trade would be for ~2.5 years of team control before he leaves via free agency.  I don't consider 2.5 years of a great player's prime to be a rental, either - it's actually a smart baseball move for a small market team (had they done the same with Yelich and not extended him they could've let him be a free agent last offseason after 4 seasons with the team).

They have Chourio - who is legitimately great right now - but the Nationals are likely looking for either young MLB talent or near-MLB talent...

Soto was the youngest player in MLB when the Nats called him up - just because Chourio is still a baby doesn't make him young/near-MLB talent in the eyes of MLB execs.  It would still take a haul to trade for him, but I think the Brewers could put enough pieces together to swing a trade that also doesn't cripple the talent emerging in their farm system - I doubt the Brewers could put together the best package unless they include Chourio in the package, which would give me pause....but 2.5 years for one of the best players in MLB is going to require a haul.  

I don't know if it's that far-fetched - I don't think it matters where he gets traded, there won't be a longterm extension signed by Soto/Boras with that team.  If a huge market team winds up trading for Soto, they surely could resign him as a free agent - but that would be because they have more $ to throw at him when he does become a free agent.  Soto won't be a free agent until after 2024, so a trade would be for ~2.5 years of team control before he leaves via free agency.  I don't consider 2.5 years of a great player's prime to be a rental, either - it's actually a smart baseball move for a small market team (had they done the same with Yelich and not extended him they could've let him be a free agent last offseason after 4 seasons with the team).

They have Chourio - who is legitimately great right now - but the Nationals are likely looking for either young MLB talent or near-MLB talent...

Soto was the youngest player in MLB when the Nats called him up - just because Chourio is still a baby doesn't make him young/near-MLB talent in the eyes of MLB execs.  It would still take a haul to trade for him, but I think the Brewers could put enough pieces together to swing a trade that also doesn't cripple the talent emerging in their farm system - I doubt the Brewers could put together the best package unless they include Chourio in the package, which would give me pause....but 2.5 years for one of the best players in MLB is going to require a haul.  

1 hour ago, Fear The Chorizo said:

Oh, I think the Nats would be very interested in Chourio, I didn't make that clear... but I think the Brewers lack *other* pieces that would entice the Nats, at least in comparison to other farm systems, primarily close-to-majors pitching.

And yes, acquiring 2.5 years of Soto is a HUGE get on its own but I think larger market teams will be willing to up the prospect haul knowing they can negotiate a 15 year deal with Soto. The Brewers are at a significant disadvantage in that regard. They pretty much have to negotiate for those 2.5 seasons and nothing more, I don't see any possible way they can have Soto and Yelich on the same roster consuming $60m per season.

1 hour ago, Fear The Chorizo said:

Oh, I think the Nats would be very interested in Chourio, I didn't make that clear... but I think the Brewers lack *other* pieces that would entice the Nats, at least in comparison to other farm systems, primarily close-to-majors pitching.

And yes, acquiring 2.5 years of Soto is a HUGE get on its own but I think larger market teams will be willing to up the prospect haul knowing they can negotiate a 15 year deal with Soto. The Brewers are at a significant disadvantage in that regard. They pretty much have to negotiate for those 2.5 seasons and nothing more, I don't see any possible way they can have Soto and Yelich on the same roster consuming $60m per season.

Yeah I get the thought that a big market team might feel like they can try to ink Soto to a longterm extension before he hits free agency....but as long as Boras is Soto's agent it isn't based in reality.  I can't think of any marquee client Boras has had who actually signed a longterm extension before reaching free agency.  Probably missing one somewhere, but to me having 2.5 years to sign Soto to a 15 year extension shouldn't have any bearing on what his trade value is - for any MLB team trying to trade for him.

And I'd argue not being able to afford a 15 year extension for Soto is an advantage, not disadvantage for the Brewers as an organization.  In fact, if the Brewers do the impossible and acquire Soto via trade, the first thing they should state in their presser is it'll be great to get 2.5 years of service from Soto before he breaks the bank in free agency - just so we don't have to hear from Boras coming up with outrageous player values for his client the whole time he's a Brewer. 

Yeah I get the thought that a big market team might feel like they can try to ink Soto to a longterm extension before he hits free agency....but as long as Boras is Soto's agent it isn't based in reality.  I can't think of any marquee client Boras has had who actually signed a longterm extension before reaching free agency.  Probably missing one somewhere, but to me having 2.5 years to sign Soto to a 15 year extension shouldn't have any bearing on what his trade value is - for any MLB team trying to trade for him.

And I'd argue not being able to afford a 15 year extension for Soto is an advantage, not disadvantage for the Brewers as an organization.  In fact, if the Brewers do the impossible and acquire Soto via trade, the first thing they should state in their presser is it'll be great to get 2.5 years of service from Soto before he breaks the bank in free agency - just so we don't have to hear from Boras coming up with outrageous player values for his client the whole time he's a Brewer. 

18 hours ago, Fear The Chorizo said:

An extension is absolutely possible, it just won't be at a discount. Give him the biggest deal ever, make him the first $500m player, and you can extend him. If it's a team like the Dodgers, who have shown they can be competitive year in year out and have the resources to keep that up, I'm sure he'll be more willing too. 

Regardless of where on the "Possible" to "Likely" scale it is, the prospect of having 2½ years of exclusive negotiating rights with Soto *will* factor into the cost of acquiring him. So a team that would be looking to get just the 2½ years would still have to pay the extra cost of the possibility of the extension in order to be the highest bidder. 

18 hours ago, Fear The Chorizo said:

An extension is absolutely possible, it just won't be at a discount. Give him the biggest deal ever, make him the first $500m player, and you can extend him. If it's a team like the Dodgers, who have shown they can be competitive year in year out and have the resources to keep that up, I'm sure he'll be more willing too. 

Regardless of where on the "Possible" to "Likely" scale it is, the prospect of having 2½ years of exclusive negotiating rights with Soto *will* factor into the cost of acquiring him. So a team that would be looking to get just the 2½ years would still have to pay the extra cost of the possibility of the extension in order to be the highest bidder. 

And KD is still in Brooklyn.  Chorizo, baseball is stat crazy, but do you know if there is a Racing Sausages win totals kept?  I'm an Italian fan myself.  Excellent analysis by the way.  With him being so young, there's so much risk both in terms potential return on investment and how acquiring a player like Soto will impact the club he goes to long-term.  Even if you are the Dodgers.

And KD is still in Brooklyn.  Chorizo, baseball is stat crazy, but do you know if there is a Racing Sausages win totals kept?  I'm an Italian fan myself.  Excellent analysis by the way.  With him being so young, there's so much risk both in terms potential return on investment and how acquiring a player like Soto will impact the club he goes to long-term.  Even if you are the Dodgers.

2 hours ago, Hopper said:

The fact that this thread is still going because there are people that think it is possible is insane.  

Oh, I think it's possible, if you're talking about what it would take & do we have the pieces to reach that price. If you mean it's insane to think we would pay it, I sure hope you're right.

2 hours ago, Hopper said:

The fact that this thread is still going because there are people that think it is possible is insane.  

Oh, I think it's possible, if you're talking about what it would take & do we have the pieces to reach that price. If you mean it's insane to think we would pay it, I sure hope you're right.