Brewer Fanatic

Small recalled ……Sadzeck DFA

markedman5

The Brewers do have a "TBD" as a starter for tomorrow's game, so he could be up for that.

They could also be looking at using him in the 'pen for the remainder of the season. He had 77.1 IP last year, and is at 75.1 so far this year. Figure he'll probably get 25-30 innings out of the pen if he stays up the rest of the year, will get some experience facing MLB hitters, and will be on pace to fit into the rotation next year depending on what the Brewers decide to do this offseason.

I'm not always a fan of bringing up starters and putting them in the bullpen, but it might make sense if they're trying to cap Small's innings for the rest of the year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

1 hour ago, folly412 said:

Would fully expect Small is starting tomorrow.  But weird that they made the move today if Small is starting tomorrow.  

That was my thought as well. Was Sadzeck able to pitch today or was he due for a day off anyway? Either way I'd guess Small start will be more of an opener of a bullpen day type than a true starter.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

6 hours ago, monty57 said:

I'm not always a fan of bringing up starters and putting them in the bullpen, but it might make sense if they're trying to cap Small's innings for the rest of the year.

The Cardinals have had a lot of success with that over the years.

Bringing up Small today takes any travel related issues out of the way if he is in fact starting tomorrow.

18 hours ago, monty57 said:

The Brewers do have a "TBD" as a starter for tomorrow's game, so he could be up for that.

They could also be looking at using him in the 'pen for the remainder of the season. He had 77.1 IP last year, and is at 75.1 so far this year. Figure he'll probably get 25-30 innings out of the pen if he stays up the rest of the year, will get some experience facing MLB hitters, and will be on pace to fit into the rotation next year depending on what the Brewers decide to do this offseason.

I think they needed a starting pitcher and realized Chi Chi and Jason Alexander weren't the answer so they've circled back to Small. With Peralta on a rehab assignment, if Small can command his pitches this time around he will likely get a couple of turns in the rotation until Freddy is good to go. Otherwise, with the number of days off until Mid-August they could probably get by with Johnny Wholestaff once a week.