Brewer Fanatic

Jace Avina Highlight Reel

homer

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Avina is raking down at the AZ Complex League. Here are some hitting highlights (the audio of the bench going bonkers after each of them is a secondary highlight)

• Like 3
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

12 minutes ago, homer said:

Avina is raking down at the AZ Complex League. Here are some hitting highlights (the audio of the bench going bonkers after each of them is a secondary highlight)

Wow.  That swing is pure.  And he looks demonstrably bigger than the 180 lbs he was drafted at.  

33 minutes ago, ctmyers said:

Wow.  That swing is pure.  And he looks demonstrably bigger than the 180 lbs he was drafted at.  

Yeah he's a tank.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

3 hours ago, Robocaller said:

Is there one place that lists all of the bonuses paid to recent (last 6 years) signees from Latin America?

Probably Baseball America but you will need a subscription I believe.  

• Sad 1

I usually just go back through the international signing forums by year. I haven't stumbled upon a nice all in one list yet but could be out there.  I am going through and making a google sheet but years like 2020-2021 have almost no details outside of the 5 larger bonuses. Can't find bonuses anywhere for guys like Castillo, Areinamo, Vallecillo, etc. If anyone finds those somewhere, let me know.

Avina was drafted though last year though and is from Spanish Springs, Nevada. His bonus would be listed there

• Like 1

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Joseph Zarr said:

Jace Avina checks in at 100. Well, how about that?!

I think this one might’ve been the top 100 you meant to post ?. But Mason knows a lot, and gets as much college and minor league data as anyone, so while not quite the same as Baseball America putting him up there, it’s still pretty cool.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Smichaelis9 said:

I think this one might’ve been the top 100 you meant to post ?. But Mason knows a lot, and gets as much college and minor league data as anyone, so while not quite the same as Baseball America putting him up there, it’s still pretty cool.

Thank you, yes indeed. Lol. I didn’t read the full thread and hadn’t checked the list myself as of yet - it came up as an alert. In other words, I was lazy. Lol. Thanks for clarifying and correcting! Yes, Mason’s lists are always fun and well-inputted as well.

• Like 1

Here’s the commentary:

100. Jace Avina, OF, Brewers

Avina was a 14th round pick out of high school in ’21 and has looked good in rookie ball thus far running a .294/.436/.630 line until his promotion to Low-A. He’s aggressive and doesn’t have loud power but he often hits the ball on the barrel while also putting it in the air so when he does make contact it’s almost always quality. He whiffs a ton, but the raw tools are good and he has 55-grade power with the upside for average to above skills offensively.