Brewer Fanatic

Trade Rumor: Who can the Brewers dangle in a trade?

36 minutes ago, Austin Tatious said:

Sammon is mixed up.  Quero is in no way a third tier prospect.  He’s highly regarded.  He must have goofed him up with Jose Sibrian. 

Agreed. Quero is approaching top 100 status here with how young he remains and how well he's been hitting as a "glove-first" guy. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Austin Tatious said:

Sammon is mixed up.  Quero is in no way a third tier prospect.  He’s highly regarded.  He must have goofed him up with Jose Sibrian. 

Agreed. Quero is approaching top 100 status here with how young he remains and how well he's been hitting as a "glove-first" guy. 

When was the last time the Brewers developed a good hitter? Braun? Taylor and Hiura are both below average but might be the closest thing. Who is to say that any of these hitting prospects develop into solid every day bats in the Brewers system? None of them should be untouchable in the right deal and it's no guarantee that even a bat who succeeds after being traded by the Brewers would have also been successful here.

When was the last time the Brewers developed a good hitter? Braun? Taylor and Hiura are both below average but might be the closest thing. Who is to say that any of these hitting prospects develop into solid every day bats in the Brewers system? None of them should be untouchable in the right deal and it's no guarantee that even a bat who succeeds after being traded by the Brewers would have also been successful here.

3 hours ago, BrewCrew8675309 said:

Jakson Reetz is a 26 year old catcher that had success at Biloxi because he was a year and a half older than his mates. Maybe he has put it all together; maybe is a journeyman in the making...but he is not a prospect on the level of Turang, Quero, Mitchell, and Kelly. 

He showed signs of this in 2019 when he was league-average age in A+.

If he played another position I would likely agree with you, but it is really hard to find catchers with a good hit tool and he's athletic enough that the Brewers have played him 137 innings in LF this year as well.  More to the former, if you can find a catcher with numbers like he put up this year I am not inclined to move him for minimal return and will take the chance that it's a fluke.

3 hours ago, BrewCrew8675309 said:

Jakson Reetz is a 26 year old catcher that had success at Biloxi because he was a year and a half older than his mates. Maybe he has put it all together; maybe is a journeyman in the making...but he is not a prospect on the level of Turang, Quero, Mitchell, and Kelly. 

He showed signs of this in 2019 when he was league-average age in A+.

If he played another position I would likely agree with you, but it is really hard to find catchers with a good hit tool and he's athletic enough that the Brewers have played him 137 innings in LF this year as well.  More to the former, if you can find a catcher with numbers like he put up this year I am not inclined to move him for minimal return and will take the chance that it's a fluke.

Just off the top of my head, at least two Brewers-drafted hitters have made recent all-star games with other teams:  Mitch Haninger (SEA via AZ), Garrett Cooper (MIA); Trent Grisham (SDP) likely deserved to go as well. 

As to the main question, I think the system is really weak for making big deadline deals, particularly if some key names are off limits.  Chourio should be in that category IMO, but it seems like they also have near-term big league plans/needs for both Turang and Frelick.  Maybe they move one of Mitchell or Wiemer if they can get a bat with some control (not a rental)?

Small is off limits for some, but I have to wonder how much the Brewers think of him if they gave so many starts to Chi Chi and Alexander. I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt. 

We've recently dealt from medium tier IF and pitching surpluses, but that depth is already depleted and some of the guys they might have used have been hurt and/or ineffective: Zamora, Black, Bullock, Floyd. The pitching someone else might want is mostly far from MLB, guys like Jarvis, Kelly, Carlos F Rodriguez.  Maybe Knarr and Shook will get some looks, particularly if the Brewers' rep of spotting pitching talent carries some weight.  Cam Devanney and Felix Valerio are IF who might have some value and though I'd be a bit sad to lose Valerio, you could argue that we have a number of 2b types.

This might be the year Lutz is dealt; his numbers are on the upswing (heh) but he seems to have been passed by and will soon need to be added to the 40 man roster.

And that's actually a pretty important note; a bunch of second and third tier prospects will be Rule 5 eligible this offseason if not added....there are way too many to protect, so they are prime candidates for deals.  Not all of these guys would stick on a major league roster, but the teams selling often have deep needs for talent and can afford the 40-man slots. Some names on that list (from the excellent post below) that might have some value include 

RHP Bettinger, File, Lazar, Jarvis, Vasssallotti, Castaneda, Puello, Cam Robinson, (Abner Uribe injured)

LHP Kelly

IF Devanney, Valerio, Holt, Garcia (!?)

OF Lutz, Joe Gray JR, (Bello, Ward injured)

Kelly and Valerio are most likely to be protected I think. Garcia being on here and so far from the bigs makes him maybe a stronger candidate than I would have thought for a trade, though I think the team thinks pretty highly of him.

Just off the top of my head, at least two Brewers-drafted hitters have made recent all-star games with other teams:  Mitch Haninger (SEA via AZ), Garrett Cooper (MIA); Trent Grisham (SDP) likely deserved to go as well. 

As to the main question, I think the system is really weak for making big deadline deals, particularly if some key names are off limits.  Chourio should be in that category IMO, but it seems like they also have near-term big league plans/needs for both Turang and Frelick.  Maybe they move one of Mitchell or Wiemer if they can get a bat with some control (not a rental)?

Small is off limits for some, but I have to wonder how much the Brewers think of him if they gave so many starts to Chi Chi and Alexander. I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt. 

We've recently dealt from medium tier IF and pitching surpluses, but that depth is already depleted and some of the guys they might have used have been hurt and/or ineffective: Zamora, Black, Bullock, Floyd. The pitching someone else might want is mostly far from MLB, guys like Jarvis, Kelly, Carlos F Rodriguez.  Maybe Knarr and Shook will get some looks, particularly if the Brewers' rep of spotting pitching talent carries some weight.  Cam Devanney and Felix Valerio are IF who might have some value and though I'd be a bit sad to lose Valerio, you could argue that we have a number of 2b types.

This might be the year Lutz is dealt; his numbers are on the upswing (heh) but he seems to have been passed by and will soon need to be added to the 40 man roster.

And that's actually a pretty important note; a bunch of second and third tier prospects will be Rule 5 eligible this offseason if not added....there are way too many to protect, so they are prime candidates for deals.  Not all of these guys would stick on a major league roster, but the teams selling often have deep needs for talent and can afford the 40-man slots. Some names on that list (from the excellent post below) that might have some value include 

RHP Bettinger, File, Lazar, Jarvis, Vasssallotti, Castaneda, Puello, Cam Robinson, (Abner Uribe injured)

LHP Kelly

Kelly and Valerio are most likely to be protected I think. Garcia being on here and so far from the bigs makes him maybe a stronger candidate than I would have thought for a trade, though I think the team thinks pretty highly of him.

There could be organizations out there who value Hedbert Perez very highly. Mediocre season at low-A but still young for his level. We're also quite loaded with OFers. Wouldn't be someone I'd look to move, but you never know.

We seem to be trying to establish a new emphasis on contact in the guys we draft & develop, and I see a couple that might have value but not really fit that MO--Lutz & Garcia (although I think Lutz is having an impressive season).

Would like to know how this 3-catcher thing shakes out before committing to deal Reetz, but I'd certainly listen. I like Feliciano, but would certainly include him before I'd deal Quero.

I think it's safe to say Hiura has been dangled like an oak leaf in mid-November for a number of days now.

There could be organizations out there who value Hedbert Perez very highly. Mediocre season at low-A but still young for his level. We're also quite loaded with OFers. Wouldn't be someone I'd look to move, but you never know.

We seem to be trying to establish a new emphasis on contact in the guys we draft & develop, and I see a couple that might have value but not really fit that MO--Lutz & Garcia (although I think Lutz is having an impressive season).

Would like to know how this 3-catcher thing shakes out before committing to deal Reetz, but I'd certainly listen. I like Feliciano, but would certainly include him before I'd deal Quero.

I think it's safe to say Hiura has been dangled like an oak leaf in mid-November for a number of days now.

Community Moderator

Notable players that will be Rule 5 Draft eligible this coming December if they aren’t added to the 40-man roster:

Brice Turang

Felix Valerio

Antonie Kelly

Cam Devanney

Thomas Dillard

Abner Uribe

Joe Gray Jr.

Tristan Lutz

Micah Bello

Victor Castaneda 

Cam Robinson

Taylor Floyd

Carlos Rodriguez (OF)

Justin Jarvis

Eduardo Garcia

I think it’s likely we see someone from that list traded this week. Also, 40-man roster guys who aren’t on the active roster are possibilities such as Ethan Small, Keston Hiura, and Mario Feliciano, 

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator

Notable players that will be Rule 5 Draft eligible this coming December if they aren’t added to the 40-man roster:

Brice Turang

Felix Valerio

Antonie Kelly

Cam Devanney

Thomas Dillard

Abner Uribe

Joe Gray Jr.

Tristan Lutz

Micah Bello

Victor Castaneda 

Cam Robinson

Taylor Floyd

Carlos Rodriguez (OF)

Justin Jarvis

Eduardo Garcia

I think it’s likely we see someone from that list traded this week. Also, 40-man roster guys who aren’t on the active roster are possibilities such as Ethan Small, Keston Hiura, and Mario Feliciano, 

Community Moderator
4 hours ago, SoCalBrewfan said:

LHP Kelly

Oops, I missed this post before commenting. Looks like you covered it already, seems likely someone among that pool is on the move. 

Community Moderator
4 hours ago, SoCalBrewfan said:

LHP Kelly

Oops, I missed this post before commenting. Looks like you covered it already, seems likely someone among that pool is on the move. 

11 hours ago, Outlander said:

FYI Sammon never called Quero a third tier prospect. Not sure why OP added that, is a big assumption to make.

That's just my personal take. It's not a dig on Quero, I just value closeness to MLB quite a bit. I'd put Chourio as #1, Frelick as #1b, then Wiemer and maybe Small in the second tier. After that, mainly due to proximity to the big leagues, are guys like Quero.

And Brewer Fanatic users are pretty close to that thinking, too. After all, Quero is #8 on our prospect list. while all the other guys I mentioned are top four.

11 hours ago, Outlander said:

FYI Sammon never called Quero a third tier prospect. Not sure why OP added that, is a big assumption to make.

That's just my personal take. It's not a dig on Quero, I just value closeness to MLB quite a bit. I'd put Chourio as #1, Frelick as #1b, then Wiemer and maybe Small in the second tier. After that, mainly due to proximity to the big leagues, are guys like Quero.

And Brewer Fanatic users are pretty close to that thinking, too. After all, Quero is #8 on our prospect list. while all the other guys I mentioned are top four.

Frelick having a big July, I feel like he's playing his way to the lowly pirates. I certainly think Frelick would be a prime candidate as part of a trade for Reynolds.

I have to imagine the only player Chourio moves for is Soto, and I don't know that completely gutting the farm system for him makes sense when it would make plugging other holes in the lineup that much more difficult. We'd still need a CF, and him and Yelich would lock down the LF/DH spots so we couldn't really rotate other players into the DH ever. Also McCutchen would pretty much never get another at bat ever again(i wouldn't be too sad about this).

Frelick having a big July, I feel like he's playing his way to the lowly pirates. I certainly think Frelick would be a prime candidate as part of a trade for Reynolds.

I have to imagine the only player Chourio moves for is Soto, and I don't know that completely gutting the farm system for him makes sense when it would make plugging other holes in the lineup that much more difficult. We'd still need a CF, and him and Yelich would lock down the LF/DH spots so we couldn't really rotate other players into the DH ever. Also McCutchen would pretty much never get another at bat ever again(i wouldn't be too sad about this).

1 hour ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Third tier just sounds bad without context of how fine you’re getting with your tiers, although personally I think there is an argument for Quero at three even if I would have him a couple of spots lower.

1 hour ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Third tier just sounds bad without context of how fine you’re getting with your tiers, although personally I think there is an argument for Quero at three even if I would have him a couple of spots lower.

43 minutes ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

And that’s fair, I probably should have been more clear with my language. When looking at prospects, I tend to clump them in small groups, I rarely go 1/2/3/4/…

43 minutes ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

And that’s fair, I probably should have been more clear with my language. When looking at prospects, I tend to clump them in small groups, I rarely go 1/2/3/4/…