Brewer Fanatic

Trade Rumor: Who can the Brewers dangle in a trade?

I'm of the "Don't trade players you have plans for" line of thought. I think that Turang will be our 2B next year (allowing us to save $8M on Wong), so I wouldn't trade him. I think the Frelick will be our CF soon, so don't trade him. I think they probably want Wiemer to replace Renfroe, but that may be a year and a half off, so I wouldn't want to trade him, but he could be had for the right price. We'll need pitching as we're losing our starting rotation in a couple of years, so I would be very hesitant to trade away starting pitchers, especially the ones like Small who are nearing MLB-ready status. Chourio is looking like he could be the next young MLB phenom, so he has to be untouchable.

We have a surplus of minor league OFs, so I think that Mitchell is one of our prime trade chips, and looking at the Rule 5 guys from previous posts, Lutz and Gray should probably be dangled, as their path to the majors in Milwaukee is pretty hard. Of course Hiura will be on the market, we'll just have to see if any rebuilding team wants to take a shot on him.

I don't expect anything major, as we'll need our prospects to make their way on the MLB team to keep payroll under control for the next few years. However, we have enough young OFs to dangle that we should be able to get some meaningful upgrades for the offense/bullpen this season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm of the "Don't trade players you have plans for" line of thought. I think that Turang will be our 2B next year (allowing us to save $8M on Wong), so I wouldn't trade him. I think the Frelick will be our CF soon, so don't trade him. I think they probably want Wiemer to replace Renfroe, but that may be a year and a half off, so I wouldn't want to trade him, but he could be had for the right price. We'll need pitching as we're losing our starting rotation in a couple of years, so I would be very hesitant to trade away starting pitchers, especially the ones like Small who are nearing MLB-ready status. Chourio is looking like he could be the next young MLB phenom, so he has to be untouchable.

We have a surplus of minor league OFs, so I think that Mitchell is one of our prime trade chips, and looking at the Rule 5 guys from previous posts, Lutz and Gray should probably be dangled, as their path to the majors in Milwaukee is pretty hard. Of course Hiura will be on the market, we'll just have to see if any rebuilding team wants to take a shot on him.

I don't expect anything major, as we'll need our prospects to make their way on the MLB team to keep payroll under control for the next few years. However, we have enough young OFs to dangle that we should be able to get some meaningful upgrades for the offense/bullpen this season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Who was the best player the Brewers have traded at the deadline under this front office group?

Ryan Cordell (Swarzak)

Tayler Schott (Jeremy Jeffress)

Jorge Lopez (Moustakas)

Brett Phillips (Moustakas)

Jean Carmona (Schoop)

Luis Ortiz (Schoop)

Kodi Medeiros (Soria)

Wilber Perez (Soria)

Cody Ponce (Jordan Lyles)

Jesus Aguilar (Jake Faria)

Maurcio Dubon (Ray Black & Pomeranz)

Alberto Ciprian (Escobar)

Cooper Hummel (Escobar)

Reese Olson (Norris)

Payton Henry (Jon Curtiss).

Take your pick between Phillips, Lopez, Aguilar as the best of the bunch. All three of them had major league experience, and  none of them made much impact with the teams that acquired them from Milwaukee. Further Aguilar is different too as he was already a 29 and a former All-Star when he was traded. 

I wouldn't anticipate anyone amongst the Brewers "best" prospects being traded this week. Maybe the former "pedigree" guys like Tristen Lutz, Micha Bello and Corey Ray, and later round draft picks who have been successful in the lower levels: Justin Jarvis, Tristan Peters, etc.  That seems to be their history anyways. 

Who was the best player the Brewers have traded at the deadline under this front office group?

Ryan Cordell (Swarzak)

Tayler Schott (Jeremy Jeffress)

Jorge Lopez (Moustakas)

Brett Phillips (Moustakas)

Jean Carmona (Schoop)

Luis Ortiz (Schoop)

Kodi Medeiros (Soria)

Wilber Perez (Soria)

Cody Ponce (Jordan Lyles)

Jesus Aguilar (Jake Faria)

Maurcio Dubon (Ray Black & Pomeranz)

Alberto Ciprian (Escobar)

Cooper Hummel (Escobar)

Reese Olson (Norris)

Payton Henry (Jon Curtiss).

Take your pick between Phillips, Lopez, Aguilar as the best of the bunch. All three of them had major league experience, and  none of them made much impact with the teams that acquired them from Milwaukee. Further Aguilar is different too as he was already a 29 and a former All-Star when he was traded. 

I wouldn't anticipate anyone amongst the Brewers "best" prospects being traded this week. Maybe the former "pedigree" guys like Tristen Lutz, Micha Bello and Corey Ray, and later round draft picks who have been successful in the lower levels: Justin Jarvis, Tristan Peters, etc.  That seems to be their history anyways. 

15 minutes ago, LouisEly said:

Well, one person on that list was an All-Star this year and a deserved one who would fill a need on this team so I think the answer is obvious.

Right, Jorge Lopez is definitely breaking out this year, but it's been 4 seasons since the Brewers traded him, he's now 29 and went to Baltimore from KC in 2020 on a waiver claim. 

With two years of team control left after '22, I don't think Baltimore is actively shopping him. 

15 minutes ago, LouisEly said:

Well, one person on that list was an All-Star this year and a deserved one who would fill a need on this team so I think the answer is obvious.

Right, Jorge Lopez is definitely breaking out this year, but it's been 4 seasons since the Brewers traded him, he's now 29 and went to Baltimore from KC in 2020 on a waiver claim. 

With two years of team control left after '22, I don't think Baltimore is actively shopping him. 

They traded Garrett Cooper to the Yankees for Tyler Webb in 2017. He was also an All Star this year. 

But, the point is still valid. Stearns & Co. do not have a track record of trading away their top prospects since they traded for Yelich.

~Bill Walsh

They traded Garrett Cooper to the Yankees for Tyler Webb in 2017. He was also an All Star this year. 

But, the point is still valid. Stearns & Co. do not have a track record of trading away their top prospects since they traded for Yelich.

~Bill Walsh

We always seem to want to pick up the bullpen arm or two, and I'm always concerned we'll overpay. I guess I've never forgotten the Cooper deal, which at the time really ticked me off. Last years' BP additions didn't exactly thrill me either. You just hope they don't overpay, because it's (BP addition) almost certain to happen. 

Suqs that we're hearing absolutely nothing about Cousins. I believe Perdomo has started a rehab at least.

We always seem to want to pick up the bullpen arm or two, and I'm always concerned we'll overpay. I guess I've never forgotten the Cooper deal, which at the time really ticked me off. Last years' BP additions didn't exactly thrill me either. You just hope they don't overpay, because it's (BP addition) almost certain to happen. 

Suqs that we're hearing absolutely nothing about Cousins. I believe Perdomo has started a rehab at least.

I think Huira is still a very good dangling fruit for a team. He is only 25 still and a team confident in their hitter coaching/development could take that chance. He is an all-star bat if they can get him back to making contact and being the advanced hitter he was. Could be a Segura type thing. Change of scenery could get him back on track and get him to make contact again. 

I think Chourio & Frelick should be untouchable. Chourio's ceiling is way too high and Frelick's make up should make his floor at least a solid starter. I personally would add Kelly as well because I think he still has highest floor/ceiling combo to be an impact at MLB level. Guys like Weimer and Mitchell I'd hate to see go. Weimer has gone cold but up to this point has been outstanding. Mitchell just hasn't been healthy enough to really even maximize trade value so you'd be kind of selling low on him.

I have a feeling that many teams would like to dive in and snag where Brewers are strongest, young lottery tickets in DSL to Carolina. A lot of exciting unproven potential in that group. Mendez I could see as a guy some teams could really like who may be easier to pry away than a Quero or Garcia and without the struggles with contact like Perez.

Turang & Felicanio I could see being compelling for a rebuilding team. They are guys that right now could be called up and given a chance now while filling some gaps for that team. Our AAA team is basically journeyman and older guys so not much else there to really excite teams. Same could be said about  AA pitching. Appears to be mostly guys who could maybe come up and file some innings but probably more AAAA types at best. Maybe Castaneda, I know some on here really like him...his season has been pretty eh though. 

A guy like Gray Jr. I could see a team wanting to be thrown in because of tools with hope they could increase contact. 

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I think Huira is still a very good dangling fruit for a team. He is only 25 still and a team confident in their hitter coaching/development could take that chance. He is an all-star bat if they can get him back to making contact and being the advanced hitter he was. Could be a Segura type thing. Change of scenery could get him back on track and get him to make contact again. 

I think Chourio & Frelick should be untouchable. Chourio's ceiling is way too high and Frelick's make up should make his floor at least a solid starter. I personally would add Kelly as well because I think he still has highest floor/ceiling combo to be an impact at MLB level. Guys like Weimer and Mitchell I'd hate to see go. Weimer has gone cold but up to this point has been outstanding. Mitchell just hasn't been healthy enough to really even maximize trade value so you'd be kind of selling low on him.

I have a feeling that many teams would like to dive in and snag where Brewers are strongest, young lottery tickets in DSL to Carolina. A lot of exciting unproven potential in that group. Mendez I could see as a guy some teams could really like who may be easier to pry away than a Quero or Garcia and without the struggles with contact like Perez.

Turang & Felicanio I could see being compelling for a rebuilding team. They are guys that right now could be called up and given a chance now while filling some gaps for that team. Our AAA team is basically journeyman and older guys so not much else there to really excite teams. Same could be said about  AA pitching. Appears to be mostly guys who could maybe come up and file some innings but probably more AAAA types at best. Maybe Castaneda, I know some on here really like him...his season has been pretty eh though. 

A guy like Gray Jr. I could see a team wanting to be thrown in because of tools with hope they could increase contact. 

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

50 minutes ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

They announced today that Cousins is headed on a rehab assignment. 

50 minutes ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

They announced today that Cousins is headed on a rehab assignment. 

Given the likelihood of rebuilding the farm via trades of at least some of Hader, Woodfuff, Burnes, Lauer and others in the near future I'm more comfortable trading more farm talent that I usually am. If they aren't named Chourio lets talk. Not a fan of rentals for top level talent but if there's some team control beyond this season all the more reason to let some upper level prospects go.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Given the likelihood of rebuilding the farm via trades of at least some of Hader, Woodfuff, Burnes, Lauer and others in the near future I'm more comfortable trading more farm talent that I usually am. If they aren't named Chourio lets talk. Not a fan of rentals for top level talent but if there's some team control beyond this season all the more reason to let some upper level prospects go.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.