Brewer Fanatic

Trade Rumor: Who can the Brewers dangle in a trade?

Will Sammon of The Athletic takes a look at the players the Brewers might be willing to offer in trade to shore up the big league club before the August 2nd trade deadline.

While we all know Jackson Chourio is the shining light of the farm system, I don't see the Brewers offering him unless the return is massive and under team control for several more seasons.

Sammon points out that Milwaukee's third-tier prospects are more likely to be moved, such as Hendry Mendez or Jeferson Quero.

Sitting just below Chourio the Brewers also have the likes of Joey Wiemer and Sal Frelick, the latter having a very strong season in AA Biloxi. Like Chourio, I can't see the Brewers moving either without bringing back a starting player with multiple cost-controlled seasons remaining.

And, of course, there's always the enigmatic Keston Hiura.

Who are you most willing to part with in the farm system and which MLB players would you target to bolster a Brewers lineup that hits well but lacks top-end hitting talent?

View full trade rumor

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, wibadgers23 said:

Unless we’re trading for a star player with multiple years of control, I’m not trading Chourio or Frelick. Anybody else is fair game although I’d be really hesitant to trade Turang, Wiemer and Small for a rental. 

Agreed on Chourio and Frelick unless the return was massive. And I'm hesitant to give up any top ten prospect for a rental, the return on that kind of move rarely pays off. It's basically "World Series or bust" if a front office makes that kind of move.

Just now, wibadgers23 said:

Unless we’re trading for a star player with multiple years of control, I’m not trading Chourio or Frelick. Anybody else is fair game although I’d be really hesitant to trade Turang, Wiemer and Small for a rental. 

Agreed on Chourio and Frelick unless the return was massive. And I'm hesitant to give up any top ten prospect for a rental, the return on that kind of move rarely pays off. It's basically "World Series or bust" if a front office makes that kind of move.

The thought of trading any of our stud farm hands for a rental scares me to death.

I simply do not view this team as a world series contender without adding 2-3 real-live-actual stud bats, plus at least one stud bull pen arm to this line-up.

I do not think there is one player out there who can push us to that level offensively.

The thought of trading any of our stud farm hands for a rental scares me to death.

I simply do not view this team as a world series contender without adding 2-3 real-live-actual stud bats, plus at least one stud bull pen arm to this line-up.

I do not think there is one player out there who can push us to that level offensively.

For me Quero is on the same tier as Frelick and Wiemer. I know the vast majority of people won't agree with me on that. 19 year old catcher at A ball that not only will he stick behind the plate but has the potential to be a very good defensive catcher. Couple that with an approach the Brewers seem to be gravitating towards with contact over 3TO and I would love to see if he can reach his potential.

For me Quero is on the same tier as Frelick and Wiemer. I know the vast majority of people won't agree with me on that. 19 year old catcher at A ball that not only will he stick behind the plate but has the potential to be a very good defensive catcher. Couple that with an approach the Brewers seem to be gravitating towards with contact over 3TO and I would love to see if he can reach his potential.

Having Tyler Black makes Felix Valerio expendable in a trade.  Frelick makes Mitchell and Gray expendable.  Agree on Eduardo Garcia with the drafting of Brown and the emergence of Cam Devanney.  Same for Freddy Zamora, and for the right player Brice Turang.  Jakson Reetz makes Feliciano expendable for whatever he's worth.  Anyone in Carolina except Chourio and Quero.

I guess the "would really have to blow me away" are Chourio, Black, Frelick, Wiemer, and Small.  Mitchell, Quero, Turang, Kelly, and Reetz would require a player with multiple years of control.

Having Tyler Black makes Felix Valerio expendable in a trade.  Frelick makes Mitchell and Gray expendable.  Agree on Eduardo Garcia with the drafting of Brown and the emergence of Cam Devanney.  Same for Freddy Zamora, and for the right player Brice Turang.  Jakson Reetz makes Feliciano expendable for whatever he's worth.  Anyone in Carolina except Chourio and Quero.

I guess the "would really have to blow me away" are Chourio, Black, Frelick, Wiemer, and Small.  Mitchell, Quero, Turang, Kelly, and Reetz would require a player with multiple years of control.

1 hour ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

I would also say that the lower investment in pitching lately has me leery of dealing Rodriguez or Cruz just because I think they have more value to the organization than what they would bring back in a trade.

Agree, and I'd add Justin Jarvis to that list as well. 

1 hour ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

I would also say that the lower investment in pitching lately has me leery of dealing Rodriguez or Cruz just because I think they have more value to the organization than what they would bring back in a trade.

Agree, and I'd add Justin Jarvis to that list as well. 

3 hours ago, LouisEly said:

Jakson Reetz is a 26 year old catcher that had success at Biloxi because he was a year and a half older than his mates. Maybe he has put it all together; maybe is a journeyman in the making...but he is not a prospect on the level of Turang, Quero, Mitchell, and Kelly. 

3 hours ago, LouisEly said:

Jakson Reetz is a 26 year old catcher that had success at Biloxi because he was a year and a half older than his mates. Maybe he has put it all together; maybe is a journeyman in the making...but he is not a prospect on the level of Turang, Quero, Mitchell, and Kelly.