Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Jake McGee

markedman5

Interesting.  Jake has had such an up and down career but when he is right, he is one of the best left handed relievers.  Just that he is not good this year and his strikeouts are way down (11.5%, 26.1% career).  We already have three lefty relievers so this is a bit odd.  Unless they are worried about Hader and if there is something physically wrong with him (pure speculation).

The Brewers probably like his BABIP and HR/FB as indicators that he was probably just unlucky this year and can still be effective. His K/9IP is worrisome as it appears to have fallen off a cliff and he has relied extensively on his fastball (97% in 2020, but only 85% this year with a slider mixed in) so a mixed bag, but worth a try since we lost Cy Chi Chi.

4 hours ago, ClosetBrewerFan said:

He can't be worse than Daniel Norris who we gave up Reese Olson for.  Maybe we can now avoid giving up prospects for bad relievers again this year.

The temptation might be overwhelming. You know how we just gotta add bullpen arms.

Maybe we can get lucky with improved health from Perdomo, Sanchez, & Cousins. I don't know how much better than that group anyone we trade for would be.

With the shuttling of pitchers on the active roster these days it’s easy to lose track of who’s on it, so I was wondering who would be dropped to make room for McGee. I forgot that Sadzeck was still around; he would be the obvious candidate. 

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

49 minutes ago, Outlander said:

I sure hope it isn't Sadzeck, I like him and feel he can help this team this year/next and somebody would claim him if DFA. They should get back to 13 pitchers and get down to 2 catchers.

I agree about getting down to 2 catchers but they don’t seem to be inclined to do that right now. The only way it makes sense is if they are trying to include Severino in a trade to some team that has no playoff aspirations. 

If they activate McGee and Hiura today Sadzeck seems like a logical choice for demotion. 

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.