Brewer Fanatic

What do you think of the draft tracker?

This is an all-new feature that we created from scratch. How do you like it? How could it be improved? We kinda fly blind when creating this stuff the first time and feedback is really helpful because after looking at something for hours on end, I kinda get tunnel vision and miss ways it could be better.

https://brewerfanatic.com/milwaukee-brewers-draft-picks/2022/

• Like 1

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Draft Tracker is great in terms of format. What would obviously make it 'better' is a more robust set of offerings - ie filling out the articles, videos etc. (which obviously would require more robust something to get that right away). AND, this being said, for a first run it's been super current and really impressive considering as you say it was created from scratch!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph Zarr said:

The Draft Tracker is great in terms of format. What would obviously make it 'better' is a more robust set of offerings - ie filling out the articles, videos etc. (which obviously would require more robust something to get that right away). AND, this being said, for a first run it's been super current and really impressive considering as you say it was created from scratch!

All that stuff will fill out automatically as we tag these players in future front page articles and videos. 

In the past, there was a thread set up to announce signings. In that thread, links to multiple scouting sites were provided for each player (except of course the players who didn't make any scouting lists). It was sort of a repository of information. And a moderator updated signings.

If all that material could be provided, that would be great.

• Like 1
  • WHOA SOLVDD 1

On 7/19/2022 at 4:06 AM, Robocaller said:

In the past, there was a thread set up to announce signings. In that thread, links to multiple scouting sites were provided for each player (except of course the players who didn't make any scouting lists). It was sort of a repository of information. And a moderator updated signings.

If all that material could be provided, that would be great.

Thank you, Eye Black, for your years of service!

I presume, as Brock mentions above, that this draft tracker will automatically upload scouting info/etc. as time goes forward. Is the little "pending" target to let us know if/when they have signed?

1 hour ago, Playing Catch said:

I presume, as Brock mentions above, that this draft tracker will automatically upload scouting info/etc. as time goes forward. Is the little "pending" target to let us know if/when they have signed?

We'll be updating scouting reports manually. I'm currently considering how to implement some sort of link aggregator into this but I'm kinda leaning toward that being a 2023 feature. I need to move toward the trade deadline now - MLB mashing these two events together is great for fans, really hard on content creation - so I'm not sure how much editing the tracker will receive from here on out.

The articles and videos will populate automatically as BF writers write about these guys more often.

Yep, the Pending target means they are available to sign but have not. It turns green when they sign, at which point a dollar figure will be added. If they opt not to sign, it turns red to indicate the pick was lost.

4 hours ago, Playing Catch said:

I didn't figure out what the pending symbol meant until yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Yeah, it was kinda obscured until players started signing. The language behind those symbols was surprisingly difficult to get “right”. 

It would have been simple. Just label them "unsigned" until they sign.

1 hour ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Except that conflicts with players who opt to go to college or refuse to sign, which is a third category that has yet to appear. ?

players who refuse to sign are "unsigned."  It's not rocket science.

• 3 weeks later...

Would be nice to do with the International signings. Rumors and such.

I like the 'mystery box' players, and that weird random day in the year where we sign a bunch of 16/17 year old Venezuelans has kind of taken over a lot of the excitement that the draft provides (especially with the emergence of Chourio).