Brewer Fanatic

Rolling the Dice

If Josh Bell or Trey Mancini are not available or it is a bidding war maybe the Brewers should roll the dice on players like Miguel Andujar, Domino's Smith and Joey Gallo.  Each one had potential at one time, are relatively young and might blossom in an environment outside of New York. 

Could Andujar hold down 3B and allow Urias to transition to 2B? 

Is Dominic Smith a better 1B player than Rowdy Tellez? DH is always open.

Could Gallo play LF/CF/RF and platoon? 

I understand that each have major flaws but all three could also be lightening in a bottle.  Maybe I am desperate for change after the recent offensive struggles.

Gallo is probably the only player I would be interested in if the Yankees are looking to just do a salary dump.

I think for Smith the Mets are going to look to get back more than he is actually worth.  

Yeah, Gallo's got a track record, and I think a rebound outside of New York is a reasonable expectation.  Andujar is not really a third base option anymore; he's played some left field, but he is a DH at this point (could be a good one, though).  I think the Mets could be persuaded to move on from Smith, but is it worth taking a chance on him in a pennant chase?  

• 2 weeks later...

Gallo strikes out way too much to help this lineup.  As much as I dislike the prospect, Benintendi would offer us more in terms on-base percentage long-term.  No matter what moves are made, if Soto goes to the Cardinals, it could be an uphill battle just getting to the post-season.

On 7/11/2022 at 7:22 PM, Austin Tatious said:

Last I heard, and it’s been awhile, Andujar was really struggling with his defense at 3B.  I can’t comment if he’s ever gotten better.  I would be curious to know, though.  

The last time he played there regularly was in 2018 (136 games at 3B), and his defense was bad: -10.9 RngR, -2.5 ErrR, -16 UZR, -24.5 UZR/150.

He's only played 12 games at 3B since, so even though the data looks bad -59 UZR/150, -65.8 UZR/150, 0.9 UZR/150, there aren't enough games to tell. I'd say that he probably shouldn't be looked at as a guy to target as a third baseman that would move Urias off third.

At this point, he's turned into a roughly average fielding LF, and we've already got one of those signed for a while.

• Like 1

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Community Moderator

The challenge with the Brewers is that they are good, not great at virtually every position. So many potential upgrades are either marginal or depth additions. Neither really excites me. I get more excited about pitching upgrades. Can never have enough pitching. 

Keston Hiura was putting up better numbers than many of these guys (until he got in a fist fight with Counsell or whatever mystery thing he did to end up on the naughty list). 

7 minutes ago, owbc said:

The challenge with the Brewers is that they are good, not great at virtually every position. So many potential upgrades are either marginal or depth additions. Neither really excites me. I get more excited about pitching upgrades. Can never have enough pitching. 

Keston Hiura was putting up better numbers than many of these guys (until he got in a fist fight with Counsell or whatever mystery thing he did to end up on the naughty list). 

Yep, upgrade Gustave/Gott and make it a 5-6 inning game just like the Royals did a few years ago.  And with Peralta back, it's going to be a tough 5-6 innings for anyone - the Cards will need Soto in order to have any chance.